Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Illinois Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 05-24-2007, 02:20 AM
Donation Award 

Default Changes at Menard

I've heard tell of a lot of changes coming up that will effect visiting.

Some offices have already been moved from the admin building and I understand more will follow as they clear it for demolition. It's not been confirmed to me yet but it seems the electric eye has been moved, and I suspect that means so has the visiting room. It was rumoured the eye was going over to the seg. building and PC visiting reception area, and that's where the 'new' visiting room is also supposed to be. As I say, none of this has been confirmed as yet but if anyone visits please update us on what's going on.

I've also heard that the prison will go on lockdown while a petition of sorts is built behind the admin building to secure the cellhouses once that building is demolished and until the new one is constructed.

It may be best to call the prison to find out before making the journey, just in case they make it a Level 1 lockdown.

Rose

Last edited by Rostonhall; 05-24-2007 at 02:22 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2007, 11:32 AM

Thanks, Rose, this is good advice.

I'll be on the road by 6 AM tomorrow and will be visiting my friend at Menard. I'll keep my ears open and will give you all a report about the changes that I see. FYI- I just called the prison and was told that they are not on lockdown.

whitecastleman
Old 05-25-2007, 10:16 AM

Depends on which house your inmate is in for visiting. Only one house at a time allowed visits at present and only one visit a month is now being allowed for weekends.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:23 AM
Donation Award 

Is that fact or rumour? I'd heard it was to be like that but nothing's been confirmed at the moment.

I know my mail is a little bit behind but Tony hasn't said that's what they've been told over the inmate television channel or in writing.

Rose

Last edited by Rostonhall; 05-26-2007 at 01:25 AM..
Old 05-29-2007, 11:45 AM

My visit on Friday, May 25 occurred with no problem. The visitor parking area is moved, but the new area is clearly marked- just follow the signs. The old electric eye building is closed, but the signs are also very clear as to where to go- about 50 yards to the left of the old electric eye entrance.

Check in as usual, but hands are no longer being stamped. The new visiting room is on the ground level which should make it easier for those who had trouble with stairs in the past.

There were three vending machines (snacks, sandwiches, soda). I used the snack and soda machines and they worked fine. I did notice that someone was using the sandwich machine and the door did not seem to be opening very easily. All of the machines were well-stocked.

I counted about 22 tables in the room. They were somewhat closer together than before but it really was not a problem to carry on a conversation. When I checked in I was given a choice of about 4 tables. I made my selection and waited for my friend. He was brought in about 5 minutes later. All of the staff that I saw on this visit were very professional in their interaction with the inmates and the visitors.

We had a great time visiting!

whitecastleman
Old 05-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Donation Award 

Thank you, whitecastleman, that's exactly what we need, info from someone who's been there.

I did hear from Tony today that if there are a lot of visitors on any one day then, obviously, time will be shortened.

The fact that the gen pop visiting room is now in the North 2 building should make it easier for those of us who are in the PC room to get food and drink. They'll have no excuse for not servicing our machine as they'll be in the same building. At least, that's what should happen but I expect we'll still have to ask for the machine to be stocked.

Glad your visit was good.

Rose
Old 05-31-2007, 09:51 PM
MomOctavia

Default Changes at Menard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rostonhall
I've heard tell of a lot of changes coming up that will effect visiting.

Some offices have already been moved from the admin building and I understand more will follow as they clear it for demolition. It's not been confirmed to me yet but it seems the electric eye has been moved, and I suspect that means so has the visiting room. It was rumoured the eye was going over to the seg. building and PC visiting reception area, and that's where the 'new' visiting room is also supposed to be. As I say, none of this has been confirmed as yet but if anyone visits please update us on what's going on.

I've also heard that the prison will go on lockdown while a petition of sorts is built behind the admin building to secure the cellhouses once that building is demolished and until the new one is constructed.

It may be best to call the prison to find out before making the journey, just in case they make it a Level 1 lockdown.

Rose
Hello,
I am posting this to confirm the changes at Menard. I was there on the 27th and the 28th. There was a sign at the sign-in that said the facility was on lockdown but this did not stop visitations. There were no extended visits however. I was approved for the extended at first and then the prison admin called me to say it was cancelled due to the changes.

The visiting room has been moved to a small building where the handicapped parking is located, and it is wheelchair accessible. (Forgive me for not knowing the names yet. It was my first time there.) According to my daughter, the handicapped parking and employee parking is where the regular visitor's parking used to be.

The room was kind of close, but that did not intefere with our visit. I heard a lot of talk about how many visiting tables were lost. According to one of the guards there were previously 35 tables; now there are only 20 (It's really 21 but one of them is behind a post and I don't think they use it.)

It was quite an experience, but it was worth it to see my grandson again!
Mom Octavia

"Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power. If you realize that you have enough, you are truly rich." Tao Te Ching

Last edited by MomOctavia; 05-31-2007 at 10:11 PM..
Old 06-01-2007, 02:36 PM
3 years til hes home

hmmm I really dont know what to expect, my man was recently transfered to menard and im going there for the first time next saturday. Im taking a 5 hour drive to get there and ive read so much on these posts that i dont know weather to be scared or excited! someone that has been there RECENTLY please help!!!!!
Old 06-02-2007, 01:46 AM
Donation Award 

I'm sorry you lost your extended visits, MomOctavia, but that sometimes happens when on lockdown. Add all the changes and I can see why it was. On a holiday weekend they would expect more visits so would limit the time spent there.

Walters Lady, both Whitecastleman and MomOctavia have both just got back from Menard so their posts should help you. There's really nothing to worry about, but I know we all do it. Just take a deep breath before you go in and ask for help if you don't know what to do. Staff are generally helpful.

Rose
Old 06-14-2007, 11:19 PM
3 years til hes home

I just got back from my visits this monday. I went saturday, sunday, and monday and the visits turned out to be wonderful. The guards were all nice and very helpful! I cant wait til i can go back down again!
Old 06-15-2007, 01:27 AM
Donation Award 

Glad you had good visit and it was for the whole weekend. I had heard that but it's great to hear from people who actually visited.

I hate all the rumous that go around about changes and it's good to hear the truth from those who have been there, It helps those of us who can't visit too often.

Rose
Old 07-10-2007, 08:12 AM

Has anyone been to Menard recently? I'm planning my next visit for July 21. This will be my first visit on a Saturday. I probably will not get there until noon or shortly thereafter (since it takes me 5 hours of driving time). Any chance that I won't be able to get in if all the available tables are occupied by the time that we get there?
Old 12-17-2007, 03:32 AM
Donation Award 

While I was visiting a few weeks ago all the tables in the main visiting room were in use and visitors were having to wait at the electric eye before getting in, they were being processed but held in the last waiting area. They didn't seem to have to be there for long but it did mean that visits were very much kept to the minimum but the weekday visit were, I understand, nice with plenty of room. Hands were once again being stamped.

Rose