Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Michigan that do not fit into any other Michigan sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 10-27-2003, 05:12 PM

Default Further Information from MDOC

I will update this thread as I get the information from them but I thought I would start a new post so that people would know to look here instead of checking out the other threads where it may be buried.

Okay for CRP information - they gave me the address and phone number which I posted in "Whose in Charge" but I'm putting here as well:

Community Residential Programming
P.O. Box 30003
Lansing, MI 48909
517-373-1953

Now I did ask them a question about paroles and early releases and as I indicated in another thread this was the first response that I got:

"It is always possible for the parole board to move up parole dates as long as a TIS prisoner isn't paroled prior to his/her earliest release date (ERD). This decision is at the discretion of the Parole Board on a case-by-case basis."

Of course I pressed further and asked them "if the prisoner didn't fall under TIS who did one have to contact to find out how to get this done and were there forms or something to fill out." This was their response:

"Again, this decision is at the discretion of the Parole Board on a case-by-case basis. All offenders are currently being screened for eligibility into Community Residential Placement. It is an on-going process. Inmates do not have to do anything as this process is an automatic screening. Thank you."

I think I'm bugging them - cause they have to actually work

So I pressed yet again - told ya I'm a dog with a bone

I asked "what about those who have been approved for parole to detainer - are they automatically being reviewed as well."

I will let you know what the answer on that one is once I get it and I expect that I'll get something tomorrow. They certainly answered me a lot faster than I thought they would. The info I'm getting is coming the Public Information Officer - whom I think I've talked to on a few occasions so it may be that she recognizes my name.

Stay tuned!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2003, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the info Ambrose.

My honey keeps talking about how there are rumors regarding implementing good time again. Have you heard anything?
Old 10-27-2003, 05:35 PM

From what I have been able to understand - good time applies only to those who were not sentenced under TIS. I have heard as well that they are reviewing the "sentencing guidelines" but also that they were not going to touch TIS.

I will keep dogging MDOC to find out more info.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:27 PM
~BELIEVE~7-10-06~
Donation Award 

My guy (Parnall) heard something about bringing back good time.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:33 AM

Okay I just spoke to a person in the CRP/Tether Program and the info is as follows:

When they are approved to go into CRP or Tether they are still considered a prisoner. I don't like to make assumptions but one would assume that they are still doing time and the time that they are in CRP/Tether still counts

The other thing that she told me was that if they are within 8 weeks of their official date - they will not bother to process them for the program because they won't have enough time. So in other words, the only people that they are reviewing for the 2 programs are those who are more than 8 weeks away from their ERD's.

Now if they got a flop - 4 months after they were given their flop and if they are within 8 months of their ERD they will also be considered for the 2 programs.

I hope this makes sense to everyone.

The other thing that I found out by calling the Parole Board is that anyone who is approved for parole and/or parole to detainer - they will not be releasing anyone earlier than their ERD...they can't. If someone is beyond their ERD and was approved then yes they will release them early. It would appear that it doesn't matter if they were sentenced under TIS or not - they will not release anyone before their ERD...which kind of flys in the face of the information that I got from the Public Information Officer...which leads me to wonder if they really know what the rules are. I was put through to a parole board manager - Dave Klineheart and he said that if that was the information I got - it was incorrect...

so I guess this means I have to wait until the New Year...wonder if I can manage to keep my Christmas tree alive that long
Old 10-28-2003, 09:56 AM

Thank you so much, that does answer some of my questions, that means Tommy will fit right in with the tether program, so that is good news.

Now all I have to find out is who do I ask to find out if he has been approved for it, this has been a weird day he had a phone call this morning about a job.

Would I call his counciler at the prison to find out or would that person even know yet or is this all going to come off in November, thanks so much once again
Old 10-28-2003, 10:36 AM
PTO Research Assistant

I wanted to let people know that I was doing an offender search of people released on parole and found an inmate who was sentenced under TIS and was released on tether prior to his ERD. So this tells me that tether is still considered to be incarcerated, so I'm guessing that it's possible that someone could be considered for and released on tether prior to their ERD even if they were senteced under TIS. Kind of good news?
Old 10-28-2003, 12:29 PM

Connie - I don't believe there is anyone for you to call. From the info I got, if they meet the criteria they are going to be automatically reviewed. You could tell him to check with his counselor to ensure that he does fit the criteria - at least that way you will know if he is being reviewed. The counselor may even be able to tell you if his name is on the list. When I was talking to the lady at the CRP/Tether Program phone number that I posted for everyone - I was asking her whether they were also automatically reviewing those approved for parole to detainer. She asked for my husband's name and number and started to look through a list...so they do have a list that they are currently working from.

All this to say - if you want to know if your loved one is on the list - you could call that number for the CRP and they may tell you. But as I mentioned, his counselor should also know if he is on the list. If he can't get the info from the counselor then I would call the number posted.

Hope that helps...t'was kind of a roundabout way of saying what I needed to - sorry.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:17 PM
"Betty" Fan

This is great work Abrose!!!
Here are my questions. The TIS-when did that take effect? I know I have read about it a million times, but I forgot.
Also, parole violators. There is no real ERD for them. How are they handled?
Robert is 12 weeks from parole. I am wondering if they are just going to keep him locked up cuz it would be too much paperwork to do for such a short period of time. That is my guess.
Again, excellent job!!!
Old 10-28-2003, 11:56 PM

The answer to your last question is no - he would still be considered for tether because he is beyond the 8 weeks. She said anything less than 8 weeks and they weren't going to bother.

TIS I believe if I recall my having read it a million times too came into effect in 1998 - but I'll check on that.

I'll have to check on the p.v. to see what the rule is.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:24 AM
Round 2

TIS was implemented in 1998 for violent offenders and then implemented to all offenders in 2000.

OMG Abrose. I knew it! I Knew it! I knew it!! I just knew tehter and CRP were considered still incarcerated. OMG I am SO glad you actually got a REAL person to tell you this. I've been searching and searching and searching for the WHOLE truth on this. That is their loophole for the TIS law. But I have a question now.....what about those eligible for SAI? Are they reviewing those cases too? And if so, What does one have to do to go there? If you could send me in the right direction to call myself I will.....lol.

Thanks SO much Abrose GREAT foot work here!!

Stacy
Old 10-29-2003, 10:42 AM

I have a little bit of info, I just spoke with MDOC. Here is what I found out. If your someone is in prison for a controlled substance sentence and they were caught with 7 grams or more they will not be eligible what so ever for CRP. But if they were caught with less then, 8 months from their ERD they will be eligible for the program either tether or residential programs. No sooner.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:00 AM

I think this is why it is important for your loved one to speak with their counselor to find out if in fact they are eligible for any of the programs - SAI/CRP/Tether. Their counselor should be able to tell them that much and then they and you will at least know that they are or are not being considered in the review.

I think it is important that we start with them asking their counselor and if at that point they don't get an answer, then make the call to the appropriate place.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:59 AM

"If your someone is in prison for a controlled substance sentence and they were caught with 7 grams or more they will not be eligible what so ever for CRP."

I've got a question... I know in that new Community Status rule it says "(k) Has not been given a special designation by the department that permanently excludes placement on community status......These special designations are as follows:" "(iv) Drug trafficker, which is defined as any of the following:

(A) A person with a current conviction, including probation, for an offense or conspiracy or attempt to commit an offense as set forth in the provisions of article 7 of Act No. 368 of the Public Acts of 1978, as amended, being §in violation of MCL 333.7101 et seq. of the Michigan Compiled Laws, the description of which indicates that any of the following were involved, that is, were related to the offense through time, place, or circumstances:

(1) Seven grams or more of any substance that contains heroin or cocaine, or both.

(2) One pound or more of marijuana or hashish, or both.

(3) One hundred units, including pills, capsules, or hits, or the equivalent of any other controlled substance.
(C) A person with a current conviction, including probation, for delivery or possession, or conspiracy or attempt to deliver or possess, controlled substances beyond personal use and limited sale to support the prisoner’s own addiction."

my fiancee is in for possesion less than 25 grams. according to the police report he had just over 7 grams. when asked what he was doing with it he told them he was on his way to sell it to a friend of his. when asked if that person wasn't there what was he going to do, he told them he was going to use it himself. this is where i don't know... he had more than 7 grams but in (C) it wasn't for "beyond personal use" and was a "limited sale to support the prisoner's addiction." he's coming up on being within 8 months of his ERD. he's in a camp and has no tickets. will they look as far into the report to determine whether it was for personal use OR when they see more than 7 grams just stamp it "NOT ELIGIBLE"... how can i find out how they are going to determine his eligibility? i already called the CRP office and he's not on the list. he COULD be on the list soon IF they go by (C)... at least that's what i'm thinking.... what do you guys think?
Old 10-30-2003, 07:19 AM
Round 2

Well we already KNOW he's eligible for SAI. I was just wondering if they had a list for those people like they do with CRP/Tether. We also KNOW that he HAS to have a rocommendation from his sentencing judge in order for them to take him. Which our letters asking for that go out tomorrow. Thanks Abrose for ALL the helpful information.

Stacy
Old 10-30-2003, 08:42 AM

I just called the CRP and asked if hubby was on the list and oh my goodness the answer is yes you guys I am in tears of joy guess it's officially time for me to clean my house I am so over joyed I cant express the happiness I feel so I guess I can start looking forward to him coming home right?
Old 10-30-2003, 08:49 AM
PTO Research Assistant

great news - I just pm's you with a couple questions - thanks