Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > North Kern State Prison (NKSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

North Kern State Prison (NKSP) - California Topic and discussion specific to North Kern State Prison (NKSP) located in Delano, California.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:09 PM

Default What is allowed at N.K.S.P. reception?

I am confused as to what my husband can receive in reception at N.K.S.P. My husband is asking if I could send him books and get a subscription for him to the L.A Times. I thought inmates in reception could not receive anything but embossied stamped envelopes and papers. I can't see my husband asking for this stuff unless he is sure he could get it. Can anyone out there help?!?!? If he is allowed to receive books, where can I order them from? I have been trying to call the mailroom since Thursday but never get anyone. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2008, 02:36 PM

U can't send any books yet till he get's to main-line, so he has to wait I know it sucks in reception but it get's better....
Old 02-16-2008, 04:43 PM

HI THERE, YES YOU CAN SEND UP TO 5 BOOKS, i JUST SENT MY HUSBAND 2 OR 3 BOKKS AT A TIME, I USE AMAZON.COM, BUT MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARE PAPERBAG, AND I ALOO SENT 2 MAGAZINES, SINGLE ISSUES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbgover
I am confused as to what my husband can receive in reception at N.K.S.P. My husband is asking if I could send him books and get a subscription for him to the L.A Times. I thought inmates in reception could not receive anything but embossied stamped envelopes and papers. I can't see my husband asking for this stuff unless he is sure he could get it. Can anyone out there help?!?!? If he is allowed to receive books, where can I order them from? I have been trying to call the mailroom since Thursday but never get anyone. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:47 PM

HI THERE, YES YOU CAN SENT UP 5 BOOKS IN RECEPTION, I JUST SENT MY HUSBAND 2 BBOKS AT A TIME, AND MAKE SURE THAT THEY'RE NOT HARDCOVER, PAPERBAG, AND I ALSO SENT MAGAZINES, SINGLR ISSUE. AND HE RECIEVED THEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbgover
Old 02-16-2008, 04:48 PM

Hi There, Yes You Can Sent Up 5 Books In Reception, I Just Sent My Husband 2 Books At A Time, And Make Sure That They're Not Hardcover, Paperbag, And I Also Sent Magazines, Singlr Issue. And He Recieved Them.

Last edited by mbzldy; 02-16-2008 at 04:56 PM..
Old 02-16-2008, 09:51 PM

Thanks mbzldy! I am going to order him some books right now through Amazon.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:54 AM
-----------------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 18,160 Times in 7,204 Posts

Yes, that's correct. Reception inmate can have books sent in. Paperbacks only, but used is okay.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:10 AM

A lot of the guys there also get the Fresno Bee

You can send in paper, envelopes, and loose stamps. I sent him 2 books of stamps, 20 envelopes, and 50 sheets of paper.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:33 PM
“Just know that I am here

Thanked 4,434 Times in 1,268 Posts

You say you can send used books, from home or do they have to come from a used book store?
Old 03-10-2008, 02:56 PM

They have to come from a third party vendor such as amazon..barnes and nobles, etc. It can not come from your own address... not sure if its the same for mainline, but in reception, I have read that it must come from the vendor itself.. and it has to be paperback

hope that helps
Old 03-13-2008, 12:04 AM

Default Mailing help

Wondering if anyone can please help im new to all this and my b/f just got transferred to reception here. He asked me to send him envelopes paper and stamps and a calendar. Do i just send this stuff in a manila envelope?? can i shove it into a regular envelope? Also if i type his letters out instead of handwriting them is that allowed?? Please help thanks everyone!!
Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 AM
-----------------------
Donation Award 

A manila envelop is fine. 25 sheets of paper, 20 plain envelopes and 40 stamps. Do not put the stamps on the envelopes - leave them in the books.

Yes, typing your letters is fine. Also - do NOT write or draw on the envelopes you send your letters in. They won't allow that.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:35 AM

aliferzwife, Thank you for ur help. Well i called the prison and talked to the operator this morning she told me no more than 10 sheets of paper and she didnt know if stamps were allowed. Then she told me that he gets all that stuff for free..paper, pens, stamps,envelopes etc. and i said oh really? She said yeah what they do is have family members send them this stuff so they can sell it in exchange for tattoos, drugs, food...and i know for a FACT he wouldnt do that dumb shit and i said nah he wont do that. and she said well if that's what you choose to believe...all rude and shit... she doesnt know what type of guy he is or what he did to be in there..ahh that just pissed me off i just had to share..hehe but anyway is it true that stationery in there is free? cuz im thinkin he might not know this since it is his first time bein locked up. Thanks again!!
Old 03-14-2008, 02:08 AM

They are free only to the indigent inmates (no money on their books when they last got to go to store) apparantly they're reforming that too.

That lady is dumb anyways. If they give out envelopes for free... then why on earth would people trade them for other things? They have value because not everyone has them.

The last i heard was 50 sheets of paper, 20 envelopes and 20 sstamps (not on the envelopes but on a sheet or bookie from the post office) are allowed.

Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.[/i][/size]
Old 03-14-2008, 07:42 AM
-----------------------
Donation Award 

This is true - the OPERATOR doesn't know anything. When in doubt call the mailroom, but the list of what is and isn't acceptable is posted. Here, I will post it for you:

1. MAY HAVE UP TO 25 SHEETS OF LINED PAPER FOR RECEPTION INMATES AND 50 FOR MAINLINE PER LETTER.
2. MAY HAVE CHECKS OR MONEY ORDERS MADE PAYABLE TO INMATE.
MAY ALSO MAKE PAYMENTS ON-LINE. WESTERNUNION.COM OR JPAY.COM
3. MAY HAVE UP TO 10 PHOTOS PER LETTER.
4. MAY HAVE UP TO 40 STAMPS PER LETTER. DO NOT PASTE ON ENVELOPE.
5. MAY HAVE UP TO 20 BLANK OR EMBOSSED ENVELOPES PER LETTER. WHITE ONLY NO MANILLA.
6. MAY HAVE UP TO 5 BOOKS/MAGAZINES.
7. NO HAND STAMPED ENVELOPES
8. NO METERED ENVELOPES.
9. NO PADDED, BUBBLE, OR CUSHION ENVELOPES.
10. NO CASH MONEY.
11. NO PENS, PENCILS, MARKERS, OR OTHER DRAWING INSTRUMENTS.
12. NO ORIGINAL CERTIFIED BIRTH CERTIFICATES, MARRIAGE LICENSE ESCROW PAPERS, COPIES OF DEEDS, ETC. ONLY PHOTO COPIES WHICH WILL BE DIRECTED TO THE DESIGNATED COUNSELOR.
13. NO BLANK STATIONARY, DRAWING, CONSTRUCTION GRADE, TRANSPARENT OR TRACING PAPER.
14. NO STICKERS, INCLUDING ADDRESS LABELS, GLUE/TAPED ITEMS PAINTED/CRAYON DRAWINGS, OR ANY STICKY SUBSTANCES.
15. NO IDENTIFICATION CARDS, PHONE CARDS, OR CREDIT CARDS.
16. NO HARD PLASTIC, METAL, WOOD, OR LAMINATED ITEMS.
17. NO CLOTHING MATERIAL--LACE, FELT, HANKIES, STRING ETC.
18. NO FACTORY OR HAND MADE JEWLRLY.
19. NO CARDBOARD OR METAL SPRING BINDING COMMONLY USED ON CALENDARS AND NOTE PADS.
20. NO MUSICAL OR VOICE ACTIVATED CARDS.
21. NO MAAPS, BLUEPRINTS, ADDRESS BOOKS, OR DATEBOOKS.
22. NO CALENDARS THAT EXCEED 8X10 WHEN UNFOLDED.
23. NO COLLECTABLE ITEMS
24. NO HOME MADE GREETING CARDS INCOMING OR OUTCOMING
25. NO PHOTOGRAPHS/DRAWINGS THAT DEPICT ANY NUDITY INCLUDING NUDE BABY PICS OR ANY EXPLICIT SEXUAL ACTIVITY.
26. NO PHOTOS/LETTERS THAT DEPICT, PROMOTE, OR IDENTIFY GANG MEMBERSHIP AND OR ASSOCIATION, INCLUDING WRITTEN CODES GANG SIGNS/LOGOS, HAND SYMBOLS TATOO PATTERNS, ETC.
27. NO HARD COVER BOOKS. MUST GO THROUGH A VENDOR
28. NO INMATES ARE ALLOWED TO SEND OUT STAMPS OR EMBOSSED ENVELOPES.
29. INMATE HAS REACHED ALLOWED BOOKS/MAGAZINES THAT HE MAY HAVE IN HIS POSSESSION.
RECEPTION = 5 AND MAINLINE = 10.
30. NO DRAWING ON ENVELOPES.
31. NO BLANK GREETING CARDS OR POST CARDS.
32. NO UNAPPROVED CORRESPONDANCE FROM OTHER CORRECTIONAL FACILITIES.
33. NO THIRD PARTY MAIL.
34. NO BLANK NEGOTIABLE ITEMS ANYTHING REQUIRING A SIGNATURE.
35. NO CHECKS OR MONEY ORDERS ENCLOSED IN THE SAME ENVELOPE ENCLOSED IN THE SAME ENVELOPE THAT ARE PAYABLE TO THE INMATE.
36. NO CHECKS OR MONEY ORDERS PAYABLE TO OTHER AGENCIES OR PARTIES.
37. NO CANCELLED CHECKS OR COPIES OF CHECKS/MONEY ORDERS.
38. NO WHITE OUT, GLITTER, OR METALLIC INKS ON ENVELOPES OR LETTERS.
39. NO HAIR OF ANY KIND, BODILY FLUIDS OR EXCRETORY FUNCTIONS
40. NO LETTERS WITH LIPSTICK, PERFUME, COLOGNE, OR POWDER ON THE ENVELOPE OR ITS CONTENTS.
41. NO CD'S OR DVD'S CONTAINING DATA
42. NO CLIPPINGS/PAGES FROM NEWSPAPERS, MAGAZINES OR BOOKS
43. NO FOOD, CANDY, OR PERSONAL HYGIENE ITEMS.
44. NO OTHER ITEMS, WHICH ARE UNABLE TO BE SEARCHED WITHOUT DESTROYING THE CONTENTS.
45. NO ITEMS LARGER THAN 8X10.PHOTOS, GREETING CARDS, ETC.
INCOMING ENVELOPES NO LARGER THAN 12.5X15

Last edited by Terry; 03-14-2008 at 07:45 AM..
Old 03-14-2008, 10:33 PM

Thank you very much Caedma and A liferz wife. I also called the mailroom and asked what was the fastest way to send mail...and she said it doesnt matter if you send priority or anything, it all gets processed the same way once it reaches the mailroom..so should i not send anything priority?? doesnt make sense
Old 03-15-2008, 01:01 AM

lol... my specialty (i'm a manager with Fedex - I love shipping~)
Okay - all that sending it Priority will do is get it from your hands to the prison mailroom a day sooner. (this is the place where they get the big bags of mail and check for contraband and forward them to their ultimate destination which is the hands of your incarcerated loved one - which as of lately has been taking like 2 weeks) A first class 1oz. letter takes approx 2 days to get anywhere. Priority - one day, however when you're looking at 2 weeks on top of that - i'd rather have the $15 in my pocket.

Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.[/i][/size]
Old 03-15-2008, 08:17 AM
-----------------------
Donation Award 

The USPS has a Flat Rate Priority Mailing Envelope that costs $4.60. There is no weight limit to these flat rate envelopes and so I used them for sending paper to my husband. I can get 300 sheets of paper in one of these mailers and it only costs $4.60. You can literally cram them full of paper and envelopes.

I don't use them for the extra fast delivery to the prison, I use them because it saves me mucho pesos. LOL
Old 03-16-2008, 02:31 PM

oh ok then i will save the extra money and not send priority..now if i go to usps can i just buy the $4.60 envelope and fill it up with paper and envelopes later or do i have to have everything with me right there??
Old 03-16-2008, 02:55 PM
-----------------------
Donation Award 

I just buy the envelopes (they're about 9x12) at the post office. They give you the mailer and a $4.60 priority stamp. As I said, I don't do it for faster delivery, I do it because it costs less at $4.60 than if I just used a regular manila envelope.

This would not be cost-effective unless you are sending a LOT of paper and envelopes - or whatever else. For places like reception, where you can only send 25 sheets of paper, it would be much more economical to just use a manila envelope and mail it normally.

At KVSP we can send 300 sheets of paper, 40 envelopes and 40 stamps PER MAILING. So, for me - the priorty mailer is a good way to go.