Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Avenal State Prison (ASP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Avenal State Prison (ASP) - California Topic and discussion specific to Avenal State Prison in California.

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 11:50 AM

Default Quarterly Package Questions for Avenal - Post Here

We sent my son a quarterly package the first part of April and got confirmation that it was delivered to ASP on April 6th, but as of this morning he has yet to receive the package. Has anyone else heard of it taking a month for the guys to get their package? I was just wondering what others were experiencing in regards to quarterly packages. Thanks for any information.

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2010, 06:11 PM

Default Quarterly package

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMVB View Post
We sent my son a quarterly package the first part of April and got confirmation that it was delivered to ASP on April 6th, but as of this morning he has yet to receive the package. Has anyone else heard of it taking a month for the guys to get their package? I was just wondering what others were experiencing in regards to quarterly packages. Thanks for any information.

I have had my son's package held up for weeks but not a month - have him ask about it.
Maybe he was notified and missed it ...
The Following User Says Thank You to socal729 For This Useful Post:
MoMVB (05-11-2010)
Old 05-13-2010, 05:38 AM

You might want to call R&R -warehouse, packages. Ask if the package is there, and
when it will be delivered. It could have been returned for some reason, there have been problems with Access. Also packages are only delivered on certain days, but it shouldn't take over a month. If you did an early order, like the 30th of the month for the second quarter, they messed up the shipping date, and Avenal refused some.
The only way to know what is happening is to call, the lady there - I think her name is Lisa, but can't remember, is Very nice and helpful.. Good luck. What yard is he on?
You didn't say what vendor you used, you can also call them, and ask if it was returned or if there was a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to socal mom For This Useful Post:
MoMVB (05-13-2010)
Old 05-13-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal mom View Post
You might want to call R&R -warehouse, packages. Ask if the package is there, and
when it will be delivered. It could have been returned for some reason, there have been problems with Access. Also packages are only delivered on certain days, but it shouldn't take over a month. If you did an early order, like the 30th of the month for the second quarter, they messed up the shipping date, and Avenal refused some.
The only way to know what is happening is to call, the lady there - I think her name is Lisa, but can't remember, is Very nice and helpful.. Good luck. What yard is he on?
You didn't say what vendor you used, you can also call them, and ask if it was returned or if there was a problem.
She did use Access, and it was ordered at the end of March, but delivered in early April. I will call and find out about it tomorrow. Thanks so much for all of this information.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:10 AM

Well I would expect that is the problem, ordered in March for April delivery. Access used the shipping date of March, so when the warehouse got it, they took it as a first quarter package, even though it might have been marked 2nd quarter. Access did the same thing to me, and it slowed the delivery down more than a week. Fortunately the lady who gets them is pretty sharp, and didn't return all the packages, think there were 19. The reply from Access was - well we knew it would be delivered in April. Not good enough. I had called the warehouse so much that
the deliverer (think her name is Lisa- not sure) made a special effort to get it out,
but the facility has to call Access first and verify that they are 2nd quarter packages. It was a huge mess -not only that but had it been returned to Access, they would have charged me $5.00 for return. Believe me, that would have caused
another problem. I posted all this at the time, but it was removed after a few days.
I sure hope they get it straight - and that Access uses what brains they have in the future. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to socal mom For This Useful Post:
MoMVB (05-15-2010)
Old 05-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Primo's Girl

We had the same problem. Access advertises that they take "pre-orders", but if they ship them before the end of the quarter, even if they are marked "2nd quarter package", the prison sends them back. My husband was notified he ahd a package on April 8th, but when he went to get it, they said it came too early and was returned. I called Access, they said they would re-ship at no charge, and he got it a week later. This is an example of CDCR at its finest: they spend taxpayer money returning appropriate packages. We continue to be plagued by the prison-industrial complex. Someone is making big money here, and it isn't us. My husband's son just got sent back to CDC for a second term; I tried to explain to him that, macho gang member that he may be, he needs to realize that, at $40K per inmate per year, he is just a new swimming pool in a CO's yard. I told him to stop serving himself up on a silver platter to the opposition. It is all about making money off of human misery, which is the reason kids selling drugs are allegedly arrested. CDCR is above the law, but people of color or lower socioeconomic status are fair game.Hope he gets it.
The Following User Says Thank You to linda d For This Useful Post:
MoMVB (05-15-2010)
Old 05-15-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal mom View Post
Well I would expect that is the problem, ordered in March for April delivery. Access used the shipping date of March, so when the warehouse got it, they took it as a first quarter package, even though it might have been marked 2nd quarter. Access did the same thing to me, and it slowed the delivery down more than a week. Fortunately the lady who gets them is pretty sharp, and didn't return all the packages, think there were 19. The reply from Access was - well we knew it would be delivered in April. Not good enough. I had called the warehouse so much that
the deliverer (think her name is Lisa- not sure) made a special effort to get it out,
but the facility has to call Access first and verify that they are 2nd quarter packages. It was a huge mess -not only that but had it been returned to Access, they would have charged me $5.00 for return. Believe me, that would have caused
another problem. I posted all this at the time, but it was removed after a few days.
I sure hope they get it straight - and that Access uses what brains they have in the future. Good luck.
This was the first package he has gotten at ASP. He was trasferred here in March. It was actually sent to his previous prison as a first quarter package before it was sent to Avenal and was sent back from there because he had already been transferred to Avenal when it arrived there...lots of confusion o this one...I just hope he gets it soon or we at least find out what happened to it so we can make it right. Thanks for all the info! It is so hard to be so far away and try to make things work!

Old 06-01-2010, 08:05 AM

We found out that the package in question NEVER got to Avenal, and it NEVER got back to Access either. Apparently the shipper damaged and discarded it, so Access has issued another package since it was already paid for, and shipped, but NEVER received anywhere. He should have it this week. Thank goodness that one got figured out!

Old 07-08-2010, 05:13 PM

I have a question... My fiancee has been at avenal just a few weeks & sent me a package form for 105$ to me thats a lot, money is tight and im already spending a buttload on phone calls, stamps etc. Can I go out and buy this stuff on my own or does it have to be through the prison? and does he REALLY need shorts, coffee etc lol?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Primo's Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroopersGiRL View Post
I have a question... My fiancee has been at avenal just a few weeks & sent me a package form for 105$ to me thats a lot, money is tight and im already spending a buttload on phone calls, stamps etc. Can I go out and buy this stuff on my own or does it have to be through the prison? and does he REALLY need shorts, coffee etc lol?
Sadly, you can't do anything on your own. CDCR has contracts with certain vendors (who no doubt provide some sort of kickback) that prepare "secure" (i.e. no contraband) packages. No, he doesn't HAVE to have coffee, shorts, etc., and he shouldn't expect you to provide those. But on the other hand, life is miserable in there, and these little things help a lot. Send what you can afford--tell him you can only spend x amount, and ask him to prioritize.

Best,

Linda
Old 07-29-2010, 01:20 PM
UserNamesRCrazy
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroopersGiRL View Post
You sound like me, I ask myself all the time, why does he need shorts, or beaters, or NIKE shoes. I understand the snacks and what not because he owes restitution to his former fiance' I refuse to put money on HIS books, I've put it on a friends books in the past, but that is not ideal.

I always ask his Grandma, and Aunt's to help with the package. I've never sent one all by myself, they're all happy to send me fifty bucks toward a package sometimes more, and honestly, I've never had to use my own money at all. Why isn't he asking his family to buy the package for him?

Keep in mind they're given a shirt, pants, underwear, shoes ... all prison issued, three meals a day (if you want to call them that) no snacks, no coffee, etc. They also use stuff to trade for stamps, or paper to write you, etc.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Mom of Inmate
Donation Award 

I agree with Linda, EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS AND IT HELPS A LOT LIFE IS MISERABLE IN THERE period (enough said).... shorts and tanks also do help when its 100 degrees out side and no fans or cold water being supplied in the dorms ... With all the demoralizing things that go with being in prison, I would have to say that receiving a package is a bright ray of sunshine in their day. So give what you can to the one you love. Show them that you are out here routing for them. That you have not given up on them and that there is more to life than prison. Show them that when they get out they can turn the page and make something better for their lives. Everyone needs someone on the outside who is supportive of them and not just with sending a package but with emotional caring support as well. It truly makes all the diffference in the world in someones life! Just my (two cents)

My heart bleeds while he's away!

Last edited by Caresgirl; 07-29-2010 at 02:15 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caresgirl For This Useful Post:
Green Eyed Lady (07-30-2010), mrs.grumps (07-30-2010)
Old 12-09-2010, 12:07 AM

My son told me that he heard there is a possibility that after the first of the year (2011) friends and family will not be able to order the quarterly packages for our loved ones. It will be required that the money be put on their books and then the guys will place the order to the package company themselves. Has anyone else heard anything like this?

Old 12-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Loving my King
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMVB View Post
My son told me that he heard there is a possibility that after the first of the year (2011) friends and family will not be able to order the quarterly packages for our loved ones. It will be required that the money be put on their books and then the guys will place the order to the package company themselves. Has anyone else heard anything like this?
My husband told me this also. yesterday. I believe it is a way so that restitutions get paid thats the only reason they want to do it that way. but i dont like it. Now I have to send my husband double of what the package would cost since he only gets 55% of the money ugh!!

Closed Thread