Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KENTUCKY > Kentucky Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kentucky Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release and community service in Kentucky should be posted here.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:35 PM

Default Parole, Home Placement, Responsibility, Accountability Questions

Hi All,

I've spent the better part of the evening reading over tons of posts -sort of- related to the questions I have, but have found no solid answers pertaining to our situation. Ok then:

An ex-relative of my wife (a relative of a husband from a previous marriage) went up for parole, and needed a home for home placement. I'm not exactly sure why he was in there, several charges I believe, some related to drugs I believe and possibly violated probation?

Anyway, no one in his immediate family would take him in (red flag, huh?). My wife, being the eternal optimist to my tower of pessimism, believed the letters he was sending her to be sincere. He had completed the SAP program, some other stuff as well I think. On the surface it looked like he was getting his act together, right?

So she signs his home placement form. He got Parole. We never got a visit from a PO to inspect the house or anything (which is probably a good thing considering that through this site I have learned that he was actually supposed to have his own 'area' of the house, which he did not upon arrival). Is that normal? He's been out the better part of two weeks now, and has made a couple visits with his PO as of last week (here's where it gets fun...).

He starts hanging out with some old friends, of course. People who are most definitely into things he should not be around. We have not seen him in several days and I am unaware of any curfew (like I said, just got the form, sent it back, nothing else from anybody in the system contacting us).

I can guarantee you he's violated something, but I'm not sure what to do. The most important thing to me here is that this doesn't come back on me or my family in any way. If he wants to screw up his parole after close to two years in the pen, fine. He's a grown man and free to make his own decisions as far as I'm concerned.

So if I could only get one question answered it's this: Are we responsible, in any way for his actions? If so, what should we do? Especially since we don't know how to contact him (he stopped answering his cell phone a couple days ago).

If he keeps up with his visits to the PO and somehow manages to fool them on any substance tests they might administer, is he on his own, basically?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, and I can't thank you guys enough for all the information you've contributed to this site - it has been very helpful, and has encouraged me to step forward here and figure out what to do next.

Thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to Houdini123 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (05-15-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Down to Ride
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,858 Times in 2,449 Posts

You will NOT be in trouble for anything he does, UNLESS he brings it into your home. HOWEVER, if it is drugs, guns, etc. more like than not, it will be on HIM, if it is in his room. He does not have to have his own area of the home, most of the time that is pertaining to sex offenders, but NOT always.

Sometimes the PO does a home check, sometimes they dont. My husbands last parole hearing they did check my home, but he was denied, the first hearing they DIDNT check, he was denied on that one as well. I think they have it made up in their minds whether or not they will parole you. I had my hopes up sky high this last time, because the PO did a home check.

IF he is messing around on dope, you best BELIEVE they will give him a UA, it may not come right away, but he is a fool if he is already doing dope. My husband was on parole a minute back in 2000 before they ever did a UA on him. Parole, especially on a new releasee is hard. Most of the time inmates DO RIGHT for the first part of it (if they have it in their mind, they might do bad) because the first part of being out is INTENSIVE parole.

Meaning they check curfews, job hunts, etc. etc. After the first year or so is up the PO laxes a bit. The last time my husband was on parole (back in 2000) the PO, NEVER once came to my house. If the guy does have a curfew, he better get his mind right. Although curfew violations are hard to revoke, he gets enough of them, they WILL send him back.

Parole officers revoke parole as a LAST OPTION, especially as bad as KY is right now in the deficit. I have seen people have a dirty UA 5 times, and the PO never sent them back, but I have also seen a guy drink a beer and go right back to prison. It is a case to case basis.

If the guy uses a urine cleaner the test WILL detect it, and it says on the paperwork that you sign UPON release, that it is a crime to alter a drug test. Back when my husband was out, I spent money every month buying his cleaner (he only smoked weed) but the last time I TOLD him, if you want to do pot, you can buy your own cleaner, because it aint my problem. Gotta be a man sometimes.......

Technology has changed a great deal since my man has been on parole, back then they didnt have a chemical that could detect that a test cleaner had been used, but NOW they do.

He will be held accountable for his actions, not you. NOW, if he gets messed up and throws some dope in a public area of the house and they search it, you will be in trouble. Upon signing the home placement, you are aware of the PO's ability to search in your personal spaces. It is their RIGHT, and they dont need a search warrant to do it.

If you havent heard from the guy in days, dont worry about it.....he's not your child and you did him a favor, by being kind to him. He wants to screw that up, its on him

Best of luck to you.

Its hurting you, but its killing me.....

The Following User Says Thank You to thugwife For This Useful Post:
patchouli (05-15-2010)
Old 05-15-2010, 08:22 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,033 Times in 17,090 Posts

He will be held accountable for his own actions.....but if you want to clear the air, so to speak, you can call his PO and tell him that you haven't seen/talked to him in days. That's your choice and your perogative. My Mr. had a 10 p.m. curfew for the first several months of parole. And the PO will be by your house sooner or later.....unannounced. Just a heads up.

EDIT:
Quote:
Upon signing the home placement, you are aware of the PO's ability to search in your personal spaces. It is their RIGHT, and they dont need a search warrant to do it.

Absolutely TRUE. They can search your house if/when they want to & w/o a warrent.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Last edited by patchouli; 05-15-2010 at 08:26 PM..