Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release and community service in Georgia should be posted here.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:47 AM

Default What jobs can a sex offender get while at a transitional center?

My nephew is going to a transition center in Georgia early 2020. He has a sex offense charge. Does anyone know how limited he will be in finding a job while at the TC? I mean other than the obvious (no job where children will be). Will he be able to go out and get a job or is he limited to whatever jobs the TC has worked out through contracts, or whatever?

Thanks,
Steven
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2019, 03:06 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,836 Times in 13,682 Posts

Here is a link to the Georgia "215 policies for Transitional Facilities".
http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/content/...itional-Center

Many jobs are inside Georgia State office buildings, which could limit public access for some "residents", but that's all I could find about actual jobs (non paying by the way).
Old 11-28-2019, 11:36 AM

Thanked 2,238 Times in 881 Posts

My son was able to go to a TC with a SO. They find them jobs while there. It will probably be at a chicken plant depending on where he goes. I seem to remember there are only 3 or so that will take someone with that conviction.

My son has a college degree & wonderful corporate IT experience. He was sent to work at the chicken plant doing manual labor. It's through a staffing company that has a contract with the TC. When you find out where he's going I can offer more insight.
He has to list his 3 TC location choices & DOC chooses 1 for him. Once he gets there he's got 45 days to settle in & do around the TC projects. Sometimes that is landscape crew work for the county. After that he gets assigned to an outside job. He can also wear regular clothes & have a cellphone. They probably won't allow him a day pass due to his conviction. That was unfair but I hope it'll change. If he were going to ask for a pass, you have to attend a class on supervising him & there are rules about it. My son wasn't allowed one but a lady I know had a son convicted of assault & robbery. He got one. Go figure! Her son was sent to work at the chicken plant too.
I do know that at 1 TC there is a landscape company that gets guys to work but again, the conviction might limit that. I hope he has a decent counselor. At my son's TC there was a person whose job was to work on the employment for the guys. I heard they were doing away with that position so maybe the counselors will have to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenbwells View Post
My nephew is going to a transition center in Georgia early 2020. He has a sex offense charge. Does anyone know how limited he will be in finding a job while at the TC? I mean other than the obvious (no job where children will be). Will he be able to go out and get a job or is he limited to whatever jobs the TC has worked out through contracts, or whatever?

Thanks,
Steven
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-28-2019), GingerM (11-29-2019), stevenbwells (11-29-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 04:35 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

Thanked 6,525 Times in 1,776 Posts

I'm sure there's a Waste Management facility there in Georgia somewhere being that they're the largest in the business. They hire those that have to register. ALSCO, a linen/uniform cleaning company is also another company that hires someone with an S.O. conviction and is world wide.
fbopnomore (11-28-2019), GingerM (11-29-2019), stevenbwells (11-29-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaReform View Post
My son was able to go to a TC with a SO. They find them jobs while there. It will probably be at a chicken plant depending on where he goes. I seem to remember there are only 3 or so that will take someone with that conviction.

My son has a college degree & wonderful corporate IT experience. He was sent to work at the chicken plant doing manual labor. It's through a staffing company that has a contract with the TC. When you find out where he's going I can offer more insight.
He has to list his 3 TC location choices & DOC chooses 1 for him. Once he gets there he's got 45 days to settle in & do around the TC projects. Sometimes that is landscape crew work for the county. After that he gets assigned to an outside job. He can also wear regular clothes & have a cellphone. They probably won't allow him a day pass due to his conviction. That was unfair but I hope it'll change. If he were going to ask for a pass, you have to attend a class on supervising him & there are rules about it. My son wasn't allowed one but a lady I know had a son convicted of assault & robbery. He got one. Go figure! Her son was sent to work at the chicken plant too.
I do know that at 1 TC there is a landscape company that gets guys to work but again, the conviction might limit that. I hope he has a decent counselor. At my son's TC there was a person whose job was to work on the employment for the guys. I heard they were doing away with that position so maybe the counselors will have to do it.

Thank you. We kind of figured that but wasn't sure.
My nephew has told me that he will be able to have a cell phone. Is that something I can purchase and bring to him? Or does the TC have something set up that we have to go through to get the phone?
He also wants a pair of eyeglasses sent in. Is that doable at the TC? They want let him at the prison.
The Following User Says Thank You to stevenbwells For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-02-2019)