Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:42 AM

Default UK Prisons ‘could see 800 deaths’ from coronavirus w/o protective measures

Failure to protect the most vulnerable inmates in the UK prison system from coronavirus could result in more than 800 deaths, experts have warned.
Provisional estimates from epidemiologists at University College London suggest that uncontrolled outbreaks of infection could lead to the deaths of up to 1% of the prison population but that this could be substantially reduced if steps are taken to protect elderly prisoners and those with chronic illnesses.
Prisons have been a flashpoint in many countries’ battles against the virus, with several, including Spain, the US and Iran, ordering the release of many inmates to lessen the risk of transmission among detainees and jail staff. In Wuhan, the Chinese city where Covid-19 emerged three months ago, more than 800 prisoners were reportedly infected.
Last Friday the prison population of England and Wales stood at 83,500, the highest in western Europe. So far, two people in UK prisons have tested positive for the virus, one at Strangeways in Manchester and another at HMP High Down, Surrey.

Read More:

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world...es/ar-BB11wCps
The Following User Says Thank You to Born For This Useful Post:
Jacob's Girl (03-22-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2020, 12:33 PM

One inmate died yesterday.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:08 PM
Lil British Site Moderator on Leave

Thanked 12,082 Times in 5,046 Posts

There are now 2 inmate corona virus deaths in the UK and 16 confirmed cases across the prison service. Lock downs are in place and visiting is cancelled until further notice.The government is looking at releasing non violent prisoners early to reduce over crowding.
More information can be found here
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...risons#history

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
Born (03-26-2020), fbopnomore (03-26-2020), marco1969 (03-26-2020)