Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:19 PM

Question Looking For Sheridan FCI Info...

Hello everyone!
Well, I am to self surrender to FCI Sheridan Camp in Oregon on January 4, 2011.
A Gambling addiction and unwise decisions on how to fund that gambling got me to this point.
I have been sentenced to 1 year and 1 day, $366,000 in restitution and 3 years of probation.
A little background on myself.....I am 44 and have never been in trouble before (Other than a speeding ticket), I am an Eagle Scout, happily married with a 13 year old daughter.

Since I know nothing of prisons, I was hoping someone could help me out.

1 - I have read that you can't smoke, but what about chew or snuff? I have been chewing for almost 30 years, do they sell this in the commissary? If not, will I have access to nicotine patches?

2 - Because of the above, my teeth are not in the best shape, and beacause of my situation, I don't have dental insurance, can I get new teeth there or will I have to gum all of the food?

3 - If anyone has any friends or family currently at Sheridan from the Non-Trouble making crowd, I need all the friends I can get right now. I am friendly, get along with almost everyone, and will be looking for a few friends to talk to, maybe play some games from time to time, and will need someone to show me around and teach me the ropes about what will be expected of me.
I am non-violent, have a good sense of humor, and my crime was stealing items from work to fund a gambling addiction (white collar).

4 - What do they sell at the commissary?? Candy, Soda pop, Moster Energy Drinks, pop tarts, oatmeal?? Can someone clear this up a little?

5 - Stupid question, but will I have access to a hair dryer or do I have to walk around looking like Buckwheat Heat Miser all the time?

6 - Will I have access to email at Sheridan??

7 - What type of classes to they teach there / What skills can I learn? (Welding, fixing cars, warehouse, computers, etc)

Thanks in advance for any replies, I am sure I will have more questions
mrmikey

Last edited by mrmikey; 12-15-2010 at 10:29 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,380 Times in 4,637 Posts

I can answer a few of your questions. Yes, Sheridan has email. No, you can't have chew or any tobacco products. I believe they sell the nicotine patches but they're expensive. I don't know about getting new teeth but there is a dentist who comes in. With such a short sentence, they might not be willing to do much for you. If you can see the dentist before you go in, do it. There are some classes that other inmates teach. There is a horticulture program and inmates work outside growing stuff. Camp inmates can work in the warehouse (though mostly Hawaiians work there I'm told). Some camp inmates work cleaning up the visiting area at the FCI next door.

There is no gambling addiction treatment program per se. Oregon law has a requirement that gamblers be given free treatment and the state of Oregon provides gambling treatment in the state prisons. I once suggested the federal prisons in Oregon get in on that and have Oregon provide treatment in their facilities - no one followed through on that but said that the psychologist at Sheridan provides individual gambling addiction therapy. Don't know if that is true or not.

You'll make friends there. It's a pretty mellow place, I'm told. Lots of white collar folks, short timers. Just don't whine, mind your own business, and you'll be fine. Also, don't complain to others about your time - there are guys doing a lot more years than you. The visiting is pretty relaxed and I hope your daughter will be able to visit with you. Even if she doesn't, stay in touch. The time will go by before you know it if you stay positive.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:21 AM

Thanks for the reply Zelda!
I have actually not gambled for 2 years now and have been attending Gamblers Anonymous meetings regularly (Which, by the way, didn't help my sentence any) on my own!
I have heard the "Hawaiians work the warehouse" elsewhere. What does this mean? I like Hawaiians, I can work with them, or is it some kind of Hawaiian gang or something? Just curious
Old 12-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,380 Times in 4,637 Posts

No gang. Its just that when a group of inmates who have ties begin to work in a particular job, they often will invite in other inmates to work there also and talk to staff to make it happen. So it can become difficult for someone who's not "connected" with them to get a job there.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:52 PM

Default Sheridian federal prison oregon

Hello Mr.Mikey i have spent several months at the FCI in Sheridian if you can call me I can tell you about it my name is Scott and my phone number is (Phone number removed to comply with PTO policy~ please PM member for information ) Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikey View Post
Hello everyone!
Well, I am to self surrender to FCI Sheridan Camp in Oregon on January 4, 2011.
A Gambling addiction and unwise decisions on how to fund that gambling got me to this point.
I have been sentenced to 1 year and 1 day, $366,000 in restitution and 3 years of probation.
A little background on myself.....I am 44 and have never been in trouble before (Other than a speeding ticket), I am an Eagle Scout, happily married with a 13 year old daughter.

Since I know nothing of prisons, I was hoping someone could help me out.

1 - I have read that you can't smoke, but what about chew or snuff? I have been chewing for almost 30 years, do they sell this in the commissary? If not, will I have access to nicotine patches?

2 - Because of the above, my teeth are not in the best shape, and beacause of my situation, I don't have dental insurance, can I get new teeth there or will I have to gum all of the food?

3 - If anyone has any friends or family currently at Sheridan from the Non-Trouble making crowd, I need all the friends I can get right now. I am friendly, get along with almost everyone, and will be looking for a few friends to talk to, maybe play some games from time to time, and will need someone to show me around and teach me the ropes about what will be expected of me.
I am non-violent, have a good sense of humor, and my crime was stealing items from work to fund a gambling addiction (white collar).

4 - What do they sell at the commissary?? Candy, Soda pop, Moster Energy Drinks, pop tarts, oatmeal?? Can someone clear this up a little?

5 - Stupid question, but will I have access to a hair dryer or do I have to walk around looking like Buckwheat Heat Miser all the time?

6 - Will I have access to email at Sheridan??

7 - What type of classes to they teach there / What skills can I learn? (Welding, fixing cars, warehouse, computers, etc)

Thanks in advance for any replies, I am sure I will have more questions
mrmikey

Last edited by lisainengland; 12-20-2013 at 03:14 PM..
Old 12-19-2013, 01:24 PM

Default Irishpride69

When did you get out scott? my husband is headed that way in Feb 2014 and would love to pick someones brain!!

Hello Mr.Mikey i have spent several months at the FCI in Sheridian if you can call me I can tell you about it my name is Scott and my phone number is Phone number removed to comply with PTO policy~ please PM member for information ) Thanks

Last edited by lisainengland; 12-20-2013 at 03:13 PM..
Old 12-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,446 Times in 2,012 Posts

Your sentence is far to short to get dentures. At best, you MAY have some teeth pulled, but that's about all you can hope for. Same applies about training - your sentence is too short to get into training classes.

Last edited by safran; 12-20-2013 at 03:06 PM..
Old 12-22-2013, 09:28 PM

With a year and a day sentence you should expect around 3 months of hwh. You will do roughly 7 1/2 months there.

With that short of a sentence, the good jobs may be hard to come by as the cops like longevity on the inmates they hire. Horticulture or education jobs may be something you should seek out unless you have a skill that they are seeking...I.e. electrician or plumber..

You will find that it is easy to find people who are like you so making friends (if that is what you wany to call it) will be easy. One thibg to remember is not to complain about your sentence. Also keep your information to yourself. Dont share any personal details and make sure you respect other peoples space.

And remember that this will pass.
The Following User Says Thank You to ttexrbomb For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-23-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 10:13 PM

Mikey,

You might want to read the admissions and orientation handbook (From Jan 2013) before you head in., also is the commissary list and pricing (from May 2012), both from the BOP website, here is the link- these are the most updated info they have posted and available, I didn't see nicotene patches, but you could call them and ask,

http://www.bop.gov/locations/institu...aohandbook.pdf

http://www.bop.gov/locations/institu...E_CommList.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to jextrane For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-23-2013)
Old 01-04-2014, 02:46 AM
Self Surrender 1-15-08

This is an old thread, but for people that search this site I will add this.
I did 1 year at Sheridan FCI after 2 years a Sandstone.
Sheridan is a camp, it's laid back and an easy place to do your time.
The guards are never around except for count.
I ran the kitchen as the #1 AM after 3 months of being there because of my experience.
They have softball, basketball, and other activities, a track,boccie that was almost unusable, and handball courts. The guards are never around, there are really no good jobs, and it's kind of boring. Trulinks is there. Commissary was good.
If you have any more questions, feel free to send me a PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goinaway For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-04-2014)