Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:19 AM

Exclamation Fiance got attacked by other inmates

Hey y'all, it's been a very long while since I posted and I hope everyone is doing well (or as well as can be). Im hoping that someone might be able to give me some practical suggestions as to my current situation.

Last week, my fiance got attacked twice by two different inmate. That was 1 attack over 2 consecutive days. I did not receive any notification of the attacks until last Saturday when I received a letter he wrote from the hospital of the prison. Of course, I immediately called the prison to try and get a supplementary visit (since here in Hong Kong we only get 2 visits a month) to ascertain the damage done to my fiance. The officer who answered told me to "wait until next week since next week would already be August and so a supplementary visit wouldn't be necessary". This is despite my reiterating to him that it was clearly an emergency situation. He then tried to pacify me by saying my fiance is no longer in the hospital, despite seeming not to have realised my fiance had been in hospital. Of course, I distrust the CSD because if they were really so competent, I hardly think I'd have to be notified of the attacks by my fiance himself. I already made a complaint to the CIU, which is the unit responsible for handling complaints but they did not give any answers as to why my request for an urgent visit was refused - they only advised me to have an interview with one of their investigators to formalise a complaint. Of course, a friend of mine who works for a human rights organisation told me it's best not to go for the CIU without a lawyer because no doubt they know they f**ked up and will try to cover up and persuade me to drop the case (fat chance).

I'm going to see my fiance on Saturday to FINALLY assess his injuries, but I hope you guys and gals may have some suggestions as to what the best steps to take are going ahead, to make sure that my complaint does not go ignored. I honestly don't think it should have to take up to a f**king week to make sure my man is OK. Our whole family (including his parents who live overseas and were not duly informed of the attacks either except through me) are anxious. We've already notified our lawyers and the consulate for their help.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2016, 06:39 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,478 Times in 13,492 Posts

I hope his injuries were minor. The important thing for the prison to do is whatever it takes to keep him safe in the future.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
I hope his injuries were minor. The important thing for the prison to do is whatever it takes to keep him safe in the future.
I hope so too - he says he didn't get scars but he was definitely hit in the head, chest and back.

I should also add that 1 attacked him to try and get transferred out of the workshop he was assigned in (a transfer that got denied, so my fiance is stuck in the same workshop as his attacker). The other attacked when some prisoners were complaining about the foodd, a situation not helped by the guards, and my fiance unwisely tried to step in to prevent things from escalating (he's notoriously bad at keeping out of trouble).

Last edited by nadezhda; 08-04-2016 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: Additional details
Old 08-06-2016, 05:04 AM
Rebel Rebel ....
Donation Award 

Please let us all know, how he is - thinking of you both x
Old 08-06-2016, 06:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadezhda View Post
I hope so too - he says he didn't get scars but he was definitely hit in the head, chest and back.

I should also add that 1 attacked him to try and get transferred out of the workshop he was assigned in (a transfer that got denied, so my fiance is stuck in the same workshop as his attacker). The other attacked when some prisoners were complaining about the foodd, a situation not helped by the guards, and my fiance unwisely tried to step in to prevent things from escalating (he's notoriously bad at keeping out of trouble).
I'm sorry about this, it seems that some people in prisons should be separated out. Like with like as in crazy people with crazy PPP. Violent above the normal fights and arguments would put together. Etc.etc. The county jail I was in does this at admissions onor within a day or two. They are good ferreting out info. and using judgement calls about a person. So anyways that's how it should be IMO.

Btw, is your husband/boyfriend in a Hong Kong prison? I'm just wondering cause of your location.
Of course in mine it says I'm in Harry Potter's world lol

Last edited by Dobbie_Elf; 08-06-2016 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: Stupid auto spell that I can't disable!
Old 08-06-2016, 06:41 AM

Hey y'all, thanks for the replies - I got to speak with a welfare officer today (my fiance said that he did get notified by the officers that I called and I was pissed as hell). He said that my fiance is actually entitled to calling his family via phone following incidents like that... it's just that no officer ever made his right to do so clear to him.

As it turns out, it was 2 attackers but between the two, they attacked thrice. He appears not to have any lasting injuries - but he was kept in the hospital for 5 days for his safety and health. This of course contradicts the info I was given on Saturday, which was 2 days after the attack - the officer who took my call and denied my visit had told me that my fiance was out of the hospital already.

Needless to say, although I have withdrawn my complaint to the CIU (only because my fiance told me he'd like that and because they gave us extra time to talk so I could really get to the bottom of the situation), I gave them a real grilling over how they've lost my trust by handling the situation in a way that did nothing to show they are accountable people unlike the reports that have been published by the HKHRM, that if not me then they should've notified his family who live overseas. That this is on them and not me, and they better guarantee his safety.

I quoted to them Texts and Materials on International Human Rights page 533 which states that in serious conditions such as serious injury (if overnight stay in the hospital of a prison is needed, I think we can consider it serious), the prison director shall inform the family of or designated contact of the prisoner. They didn't do that or even inform my fiance of his right to notify his family, so I consider that a serious fail on their part. Per HK's Prison Rules 58 in CAP 234, they have a duty to segregate prisoners who have been reported so they must keep the offending inmate apart from my fiance or they'd be breaking their own rules and our lawyers are getting written acknowledgement that this has been done. Depending on the coming investigation into the attacks, one could also question if there's been an offence committed by the staff considering that under Prison Rules 239, an offence is considered to have been committed if loss or damage to property or prisoner resulted as a result of carelessness or negligence. Especially in the attack that happened in the eating hall, I would wonder if the latter might apply because it was already building up to be a tense situation what with guards yelling at the prisoner's who complained about the food.

There are also other disturbing and questionable things that I know have been done (even if proof is basically impossible to get because of how hush hush things are on the inside and prisoners who complain tend to face retaliation from the guards - the latter was noted in a HKHRM report on the necessity to reform the Justice of Peace system here in HK), and that is why even though the welfare staff of the CSD have treated my fiance exceedingly nicely this past week, I reserve a lot of healthy and reasonable scepticism against the CSD.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadezhda View Post

I'm sorry this is disturbing to you - and my response won't help you any.

But, if your fiance cannot learn to mind his own business, he will not do well. In some instances, coming to the defense of another is admirable. In prison, it's best to do everything you can to stick below the radar.

I don't know where your fiance is incarcerated - but I had no idea that it was incumbent upon the DoC to keep family apprised of incidents. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's not. But - if I read that your fiance is in a Hong Kong prison system, I have no idea how they run things there.

Either way, MYOB is the path way to the least amount of trouble in prison. Learn how, or possibly die. It is that scary and that simple.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigpappy For This Useful Post:
MichelleSTL (09-05-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpappy View Post
I'm sorry this is disturbing to you - and my response won't help you any.

But, if your fiance cannot learn to mind his own business, he will not do well. In some instances, coming to the defense of another is admirable. In prison, it's best to do everything you can to stick below the radar.

I don't know where your fiance is incarcerated - but I had no idea that it was incumbent upon the DoC to keep family apprised of incidents. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's not. But - if I read that your fiance is in a Hong Kong prison system, I have no idea how they run things there.

Either way, MYOB is the path way to the least amount of trouble in prison. Learn how, or possibly die. It is that scary and that simple.
I think what's important to note, even if it is not incumbent upon the Correctional Services Departmen to notify family of incidents such as these, is that it's now been made expressly clear to me that a prisoner has the right to call his family if so (at least in HK) BUT that this right was NOT expressed to my fiance by any of the staff. As I spoke to them last weekend about it, it became more apparent that they f**ked up on this and tried to cover it up by making blatant lies (though thankfully I studied the Prison Rules and Ordinance well enough in advance to catch them on any contradictions they tried to tell me).

For sure, he's made some dumb moves. I hope the incident taught him not to do the jobs of the officers - it's their job, not his, after all to resolve situations.