Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release & community service in the State of Texas should be posted here. Also found here is information in creating Parole Packets, discussion of Parole Attorneys, etc.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:47 PM

Default What happens if your loved ones parole address if no longer good?

Hello, to sum this up my boyfriend was approved parole and put his parents address down. Well now he no longer speaks to his parents and he isnt going to change his mind. He refuses to go home. So my question is what happens now that he isnt going to stay at that address? Will he be able to go to a half way house? Will he have to give up his parole because he now has no where to go and will have to finish his time? Just wondering if anyone knows any information. Thank you

BTW my place is not an option
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2016, 06:55 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

Thanked 6,284 Times in 1,690 Posts

My guess would be they'd send him to the Ft.Worth transitional center there on Henderson or to the Dallas Transitional Center on East Langdon Road. He won't lose his FI, though. Might slow him down on the release, but not by much.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:09 PM

Thank you for replying so quickly. Whats a transitional center? Do you have experience with any of this? (and I dont mean for that question to sound rude I'm just genuinely asking) and if it helps to know he is currently at Lindsey with a FI-3R parole approval. He is almost done with the class
Old 08-17-2016, 07:11 PM

And also does he have to tell someone before he finishes the class that his address is no longer good so he can get into a transitional center?
Old 08-17-2016, 07:29 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

I just left the Dallas Transitional Center on August 12th. I'd been living there in Ft Worth up until July 20th until my job and then living situation fell through. I had expected to go to the Ft.Worth transitional center, but wound up back in Dallas due to a lack of bed space there at the place in funky town.
A transitional center is a state approved halfway house that Parole sends us to when we don't have anywhere to go upon release or in my situation, aswell. In the event he goes to one of these places he can leave just as soon as he comes up with a valid address to move to.
If no one with parole is aware of the situation concerning his parents address then he outta inform the unit parole officer there at Lindsey. Otherwise,t they'll attempt to confirm his parents address and slow the release process down that much more.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:41 PM

Thank you so much for this information. You have no idea how relieved I am to hear all of this. I was worried about him staying in prison because he didnt have a place to go anymore. He is suppose to be released at the end of september. Is there a good chance he will receive a housing spot?
Old 08-17-2016, 08:01 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

No worries. He'll get out. At this point, it's more a matter of where they send him. Not if they'll send him.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:18 PM

Thanked 11,109 Times in 6,008 Posts

The sooner he tells them that the previous address is no longer good, the sooner they can begin working on alternative placement plans.

If he truly has NO other Texas release options, however, I can tell you that he isn't going to like where they place him. And yes, as noted, he is not going to be a priority for a HWH bed. The top of the list are those under old-law mandatory supervision, followed by discretionary mandatory supervision cases, then the sex offenders that have no other plans that satisfy child safety zone requirements and THEN they move to those who simply have no other options.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:59 PM

I'm in NY so I'm not sure if it's anything like where you are but once my man's Po did not approve our home prior to his release and he had to go to a shelter. It was AWFUL!! Finally when she felt like it she got around to approving our home and he was able to come back home. The shelter was terrible he had to wait outside each night to check in and he had to leave first thing in the morning
Old 08-18-2016, 03:06 AM
The Cowtown Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Iimas View Post
I'm in NY so I'm not sure if it's anything like where you are but once my man's Po did not approve our home prior to his release and he had to go to a shelter. It was AWFUL!! Finally when she felt like it she got around to approving our home and he was able to come back home. The shelter was terrible he had to wait outside each night to check in and he had to leave first thing in the morning
The Bridge is the name of the homeless shelter here in Dallas where they do that very same thing you speak of. You see a lot of men go there who start out at the Dallas Transitional Center(DTC) . Most often they tend to be the individuals who won't do anything more than take up bed space and hang out each day with no desire to move on with their lives. A high percentage of that group are into the K2 smoke scene, as well.
As CenTexLyn noted places like DTC and FTC are not the kind of places you want to stay at very long. They tend to be the closest thing to living in prison here in the Free World that you'll find and in some ways they are worse than prison.
Still.....It's a start. If you want to find a job then you will. If you want to move on and move out you will. I did it in a mere 3 weeks with no money when I got to DTC, no car and no support to speak of from anyone here on the outside. I'm also under SISP supervision where parole is concerned and if I can do it then anyone who is able bodied and willing can do so as well.
You have stay focused, stay out of trouble and simply learn not to take anything personal that goes on around you. There's a lot of drama at these places and for that matter all state approved halfway house, but they serve their purpose and one can and always will progress to a better situation beyond a state approved halfway house if they keep their priorities in order.
edjuko (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 08:25 AM

Is there a way to find a transitional center or half way house that isn't as bad as the places you are speaking of? I mean I assume each half way isnt a hotel but is it possible to find one that is at least half decent? I talked to someone on the board and they said I could find one for him and get an application.

Thank you for all of the responses
Old 08-18-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
The Bridge is the name of the homeless shelter here in Dallas where they do that very same thing you speak of. You see a lot of men go there who start out at the Dallas Transitional Center(DTC) . Most often they tend to be the individuals who won't do anything more than take up bed space and hang out each day with no desire to move on with their lives. A high percentage of that group are into the K2 smoke scene, as well.
As CenTexLyn noted places like DTC and FTC are not the kind of places you want to stay at very long. They tend to be the closest thing to living in prison here in the Free World that you'll find and in some ways they are worse than prison.
Still.....It's a start. If you want to find a job then you will. If you want to move on and move out you will. I did it in a mere 3 weeks with no money when I got to DTC, no car and no support to speak of from anyone here on the outside. I'm also under SISP supervision where parole is concerned and if I can do it then anyone who is able bodied and willing can do so as well.
You have stay focused, stay out of trouble and simply learn not to take anything personal that goes on around you. There's a lot of drama at these places and for that matter all state approved halfway house, but they serve their purpose and one can and always will progress to a better situation beyond a state approved halfway house if they keep their priorities in order.
How were you able to move out so quickly with no support or money? and congrats by the way. I'm sure that wasn't easy.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:03 PM
Donation Award 

Yes, you can find a half-way house on your own if you're willing to put down the money, etc., for your BF to stay there. In my nephew's case, we found a HWH that was willing to take him, but he had to write the letter to them himself and request acceptance and placement there. Once they did, he was able to give the information and address to the reentry person at his unit and they were able to confirm his spot there. We had to pay a $95 deposit, $20 key money, plus his first week's rent of $95 before he was released. Here is the list we used to find the HWH where he ended up staying. http://www.texascure.org/alternativehousing.html
Old 08-18-2016, 06:04 PM

[quote=edjuko;7556702]Yes, you can find a half-way house on your own if you're willing to put down the money, etc., for your BF to stay there. In my nephew's case, we found a HWH that was willing to take him, but he had to write the letter to them himself and request acceptance and placement there. Once they did, he was able to give the information and address to the reentry person at his unit and they were able to confirm his spot there. We had to pay a $95 deposit, $20 key money, plus his first week's rent of $95 before he was released. Here is the list we used to find the HWH where he ended up staying.

Thank you I'll definitely look into but its starting to look like I'm just gonna have to let TDCJ place him and hope that he will be able to get out of there soon
Old 08-19-2016, 04:21 AM
The Cowtown Moderator

The better places to live most often are faith based, but that's only some of them. They can be a bit more difficult to get into to because often times they have a selection process/screening that began in prison among the prisoners that were a part of the programs inside. In a lot of faith based situations that tends to be the trend. Not entirely, but often times that's what you see.

Still, some of that group are not what they say they are. They're in it for the money. They want too much to get in, too much to stay there and in situations where a savings account is is required they consistently keep all the interest earned on one's account. When you leave you're only given the money you put into the account, not the interest earned off of it due to fact that the account is in their name and with their bank, not yours or the bank of your choice. There is drama, politics, backstabbing and deadbeats in a faith based situation just like there is anywhere else, but.....If you're not careful you'll become cynical if not bitter about your stay there and what you see. It seems there is a lack of faith in a good many faith based transitional homes.
Privately owned transitional centers are often entirely too expensive and substandard where city code compliance matters go. Bedbugs, faulty appliances and bad food are often what you find there. The Welcome House is one of those places and there are several of them.

Many of the state approved halfway houses here in Texas are operated by Avalon and/or CCA. CCA was the one that also ran Dawson State Jail at the time it was shut down a few years ago. It wasn't the most dangerous prison I'd done time in, but in every other category it was hands down the worst and especially the food. It was god awful. And well.....yes.......they're a bunch of b#st#rds. They won't go away and the state won't stop doing business with them. Still, if I'd take better care of my personal business then, I wouldn't have to go back as I have in the past, now would I? Can't put all the blame on them.

How do you go to go to the Dallas Transitional Center with $6.78 to your name and then leave 3 weeks later? You get busy finding a job and until you find one, that is your job. You find those places that allow you to pay by the week, most often called boarding houses and......you get hip to how to take that first paycheck and use it to move out and move on. You're supposed to give DTC 58% of your gross pay, but I didn't do that and everyone pretty well knew that all the way from parole to case workers. As it is they're getting paid by the state to house you so, it's not like the lights are in jeopardy of being cut off.

In truth, they'd be happy if more people would leave the same way that I did in a such a short time. But......they tend to have the opposite problem there and for that matter all state approved halfway houses; they have too many people that won't leave or put forth the effort to get it together so that they can leave. Since K 2 (synthetic marijuana) came on the scene all of the state approved halfway houses in Texas are faced with an even more serious problem of getting people to move on with their lives than ever before. IT IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM. And so...If you leave that stuff alone, leave the booze alone that people smuggle in as well, stay focused on employment & place to live, stay out of other people's business and don't take anything personal that goes on around you then...one day you'll look up be gone from there. And just like prison, getting out is the easy part, but out is the greater effort involved.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
The better places to live most often are faith based, but that's only some of them. They can be a bit more difficult to get into to because often times they have a selection process/screening that began in prison among the prisoners that were a part of the programs inside. In a lot of faith based situations that tends to be the trend. Not entirely, but often times that's what you see.

Still, some of that group are not what they say they are. They're in it for the money. They want too much to get in, too much to stay there and in situations where a savings account is is required they consistently keep all the interest earned on one's account. When you leave you're only given the money you put into the account, not the interest earned off of it due to fact that the account is in their name and with their bank, not yours or the bank of your choice. There is drama, politics, backstabbing and deadbeats in a faith based situation just like there is anywhere else, but.....If you're not careful you'll become cynical if not bitter about your stay there and what you see. It seems there is a lack of faith in a good many faith based transitional homes.
Privately owned transitional centers are often entirely too expensive and substandard where city code compliance matters go. Bedbugs, faulty appliances and bad food are often what you find there. The Welcome House is one of those places and there are several of them.

Many of the state approved halfway houses here in Texas are operated by Avalon and/or CCA. CCA was the one that also ran Dawson State Jail at the time it was shut down a few years ago. It wasn't the most dangerous prison I'd done time in, but in every other category it was hands down the worst and especially the food. It was god awful. And well.....yes.......they're a bunch of b#st#rds. They won't go away and the state won't stop doing business with them. Still, if I'd take better care of my personal business then, I wouldn't have to go back as I have in the past, now would I? Can't put all the blame on them.

How do you go to go to the Dallas Transitional Center with $6.78 to your name and then leave 3 weeks later? You get busy finding a job and until you find one, that is your job. You find those places that allow you to pay by the week, most often called boarding houses and......you get hip to how to take that first paycheck and use it to move out and move on. You're supposed to give DTC 58% of your gross pay, but I didn't do that and everyone pretty well knew that all the way from parole to case workers. As it is they're getting paid by the state to house you so, it's not like the lights are in jeopardy of being cut off.

In truth, they'd be happy if more people would leave the same way that I did in a such a short time. But......they tend to have the opposite problem there and for that matter all state approved halfway houses; they have too many people that won't leave or put forth the effort to get it together so that they can leave. Since K 2 (synthetic marijuana) came on the scene all of the state approved halfway houses in Texas are faced with an even more serious problem of getting people to move on with their lives than ever before. IT IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM. And so...If you leave that stuff alone, leave the booze alone that people smuggle in as well, stay focused on employment & place to live, stay out of other people's business and don't take anything personal that goes on around you then...one day you'll look up be gone from there. And just like prison, getting out is the easy part, but out is the greater effort involved.
Quick question, my husband more than likely will have to go to one of the transitional centers, hopefully in the one here where im at in Austin. Are yall allowed cell phones? Because ill be ***** if im not able to talk to my husband while hes at the transitional center.