Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 02-08-2017, 07:53 AM

Default Extradition FL-AZ: what to expect, what to do/not to do?

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Arizona and Florida

So I am currently living in Miami but am going to be extradited to Phoenix, AZ. I won't go into the crimes but they include drugs and alcohol. I know the extradition is going to happen but my knowledge of what to expect, what to do/not to do is pretty much zero. As much information as possible would be really appreciated. I'm a female in their 20s.

Thank you..
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2017, 03:28 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,476 Times in 13,490 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. In my opinion, the worst possible introduction to the criminal justice system would be to be arrested in Florida, then getting stuck in one of FLs awful county jails while waiting to be extradited to Arizona. Then even worse than the wait would be your trip, in chains, to a similar AZ county jail. Isn't Phoenix the home of former sheriff arpaio's jail and tent city?

Talk to a lawyer, in FL, or preferably one in Arizona after you have travelled there yourself. They can probably arrange a self surrender and a quick release on bond. Waiting for an arrest by a swat team will be an awful mistake.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 02-08-2017 at 03:32 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (02-08-2017), sidewalker (02-10-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 04:23 PM

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,743 Posts

I agree with the above poster. Make the trip to AZ and self surrender, take it into your own hands. SWAT is no fun and neither is being shuffled around county jails.

Yes, Phoenix is the home of former Sheriff Arpaio. Maricopa county jails suck just about as much as everywhere else but it's better than going through the arrest and transfer.

Once you get arrested and go through your court proceedings...if it's bad enough that they would go through the trouble of getting you from Florida, you're likely looking at prison time. Drug charges in AZ are no joke...they are trying to make examples. You'll go to Perryville Women's Prison. It's not all bad there. They have some good jobs, classes, workout groups, and educational opportunities.

I wish you all the best.
fbopnomore (02-08-2017), hnalong (02-09-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 05:18 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,475 Times in 2,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Welcome to Prison Talk. In my opinion, the worst possible introduction to the criminal justice system would be to be arrested in Florida, then getting stuck in one of FLs awful county jails while waiting to be extradited to Arizona. Then even worse than the wait would be your trip, in chains, to a similar AZ county jail. Isn't Phoenix the home of former sheriff arpaio's jail and tent city?

Talk to a lawyer, in FL, or preferably one in Arizona after you have travelled there yourself. They can probably arrange a self surrender and a quick release on bond. Waiting for an arrest by a swat team will be an awful mistake.
I can't even think of words strong enough to convey my complete and total agreement with this.

Walking to AZ would be fun compared to being transported by an inmate transport company.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
bellisq (02-27-2017), fbopnomore (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 09:08 PM

Thanked 11,109 Times in 6,008 Posts

Others have already nailed it...go to AZ with arrangements in place for the bond and self-surrender. Otherwise, you are going to be taking a bus ride from hell that does not go direct from Florida to Arizona.

If this is a case with bond already set, then you would very likely be able to process through as a walk-through since you would already have made arrangements on your bond and do not need to see the judge. If you are extradited by a third-party, then not only is there the lengthy bus trip (expect at least three to four days) but also time cooling your heals in a cell awaiting arraignment.