Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know > California Prison Visitation - General Q&A
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison Visitation - General Q&A This forum is for general, nonspecific questions & discussions related to visitation in California facilities. If you have a question about or want to discuss visitation in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the California forum.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:57 PM

Default Visiting Tips

This post is directed to all of the rookie visitors. I know that the information I'm about to provide is located on the CDCR website, but I hope to simplify the process for you.

1) First and foremost, the visiting process is initiated by the inmate. It is his/her responsibility to obtain the CDCR 106 Visiting Questionnaire(s) from his/her housing unit or requesting them from the Visiting Department. It is important that he/she signs the back of the form(s) prior to sending them to his/her prospective visitor(s). Unsigned applications that are submitted don't even make it to the background check phase. If you turned in an unsigned application, you're better off requesting a new, signed application from your loved one and resubmitting. Often times, unsigned apps can sit around in a pile because they're considered low priority. The background check and review process can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks from the date of receipt. So be patient. REMEMBER: Only original forms signed by the inmate are allowed. Do not submit a photocopy or CDCR 106 form you found on the internet. You'd only be wasting your time.

Helpful tip: If you know that you have an arrest history, but don't remember the details. I would suggest getting a Live Scan and requesting your full arrest history record from the DOJ directly before submitting your application. Make a copy of it, and send it with your CDCR 106 form. I only suggest this because it will save you a step from being initially disapproved if you accidentally omit something from your application. You can request your arrest history here: oag.ca.gov/fingerprints/record-review

2) If four weeks rolls around with no word, I would suggest calling the Visiting Sergeant for an update. The Visiting Sgt. phone list can be found by going to cdcr.ca.gov and clicking the "Visit Inmate" button. Don't ask if you're approved/disapproved, simply ask if they've received your application and if the status is still "pending." It is also a good practice for the inmate to Form 22 or send an Inmate Request to the Visiting Sgt. inquiring about the status of your application.

3) If you're approved, the visiting department notifies the inmate via mail, and it will be his responsibility to let you know. I know, it makes the process even longer, but hey, that's CDCR for ya! Otherwise, you would receive a disapproval letter in the mail. Disapproval letters should provide information on how to appeal the decision if you decide to do so.

Helpful tips: Common reasons for disapproval.
-Forgetting to sign the back of the application.
-Not fully completing the application. Make sure to include the inmate's full name, CDCR#, your I.D. # (driver's lic., state id, passport, matricula consular, military id), a valid address.
-Omitting something from your arrest history (question #12 on the application). If this is the case, obtain a copy of your arrest history record so that you can resubmit an application (see #2). You can resubmit an application right away for an omit.
-Providing false info on your arrest history. You don't want to do this because you'll be disqualified from applying for a period of six (6) months.
-If you're currently on probation.
Formal Probation: If you're in good standing, you would typically need to obtain a written letter from your case supervisor allowing you to visit. Also, provide a copy of the court documents outlining the conditions of your probation.
Informal Probation: Without a case supervisor, it would be best to send a letter directly to the warden of the institution, along with copies of pertinent paperwork outlining the conditions of your probation from the court.
-You're a former inmate: Submit a letter to the warden requesting approval, along with your arrest history record from doj, and a copy of your discharge from parole.

4) Yay, you're finally approved. Now you need to understand the appointment procedures. They're confusing I know.

If your loved one is still in the Reception Center, DO NOT USE VPASS to schedule an appointment. The VPASS system is only to be used for inmates who have already been endorsed to the Mainline and are eligible for CONTACT VISITS.
Reception Centers are typically restricted to NON-CONTACT booth visits behind glass.
Visit visitorreservations.cdcr.ca.gov/VisitingStatus.aspx to see how your institution conducts scheduling for non-contact visits.

Once you successfully schedule your appointment, I would suggest visiting the following link: cdcr.ca.gov/visitors/visitors/inmate-visiting-guidelines/ to learn more about the visiting program at CDCR.

The CDCR website cdcr.ca.gov and Title 15 are great resources and will be your best friend. If you got the time, STUDY THEM! Trust me. I hope this information helps. Good luck.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WardenJCat For This Useful Post:
AnieLove56 (09-26-2019), fbopnomore (09-26-2019), gvalliant (09-26-2019), sidewalker (09-26-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2019, 07:51 AM
❤️784❤️

I'm in the waiting time to see if I'm approved. I know I will be as I've never been arrested or had contact with law enforcement besides a ticket or two as well as having family in LE (uncle was the sheriff as well as the head of the SWAT team for his county).

Old 09-26-2019, 07:56 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,125 Times in 16,039 Posts

WardenJcat is pretty spot on from my own experience visiting. ( I kept having to not fill out my visit app, because my hub didnt sign the form first! and since he was in reception he was not getting my letters telling him to send one with HIS siggy on it)

Once you are approved, and plan a visit, got an appt if needed.....remember to bring extra changes of clothing. It seems its fairly often that someone will be turned away for something they are wearing. So bring extra.
Ladies........do not wear an underwire bra. Either doctor an old one and remove the wire, or get a sports bra.
Check the sub forum for your loved ones facility to check if there are any other issues folks have with the color of clothing.
NO blue jeans, no cammo (any color) and some colors are iffy. Anything that could resemble either a CO or an inmate isnt allowed. So bring back up.
(dresses, skirts/or shorts need to be not allowing more than 2 inches above your knees while sitting, and truth? I'd go beyond that, just to be safe)
Always check the facility because while they are all cdcr, they all can have slightly different *rules* for clothing.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 08:31 AM
❤️784❤️

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Once you are approved, and plan a visit, got an appt if needed.....remember to bring extra changes of clothing. It seems its fairly often that someone will be turned away for something they are wearing. So bring extra.
Ladies........do not wear an underwire bra. Either doctor an old one and remove the wire, or get a sports bra.
Check the sub forum for your loved ones facility to check if there are any other issues folks have with the color of clothing.
NO blue jeans, no cammo (any color) and some colors are iffy. Anything that could resemble either a CO or an inmate isnt allowed. So bring back up.
(dresses, skirts/or shorts need to be not allowing more than 2 inches above your knees while sitting, and truth? I'd go beyond that, just to be safe)
Always check the facility because while they are all cdcr, they all can have slightly different *rules* for clothing.
For my first visit,I've got his sister coming with. We are meeting up the Friday before since we both have to drive 4 hours to get there. And I'm gonna bring a bunch of clothes and have her pick out what works best as she's visited him before. That way I know what I'll be wearing works. I do not want any problems. Plus I'm renting a car cuz if all goes well, I'll have a job doing medical marijuana delivery and my personal car will smell like it (really don't want to be denied at the gate for even the smell of drugs)

Old 09-26-2019, 08:51 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,125 Times in 16,039 Posts

good idea about the car. You dont want to be accused of trying to smuggle in contraband.

That's my dog's nose art