Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central Everything about getting married in prison or jail. Notices, pictures, questions, stories, what to expect.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:25 PM
TRUE 2 MY HUSBAND 4 LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLuvOfHisLiFe View Post
MARRIAGE BY PROXY IS NOT NECESSARY FOR TDC PURPOSES.... THAT COSTS TOO MUCH MONEY AND WASTES TOO MUCH TIME. All you have to do is tell your inmate (loved one) to send you a common law paper from their or send a notarized letter saying that you all are common law married and they will send you the appropriate form. Once you get the form, fill it out, sign it, get it notarized, and send it back to Inmate Records at the Unit and BAM YOU ARE MARRIED AND HAVE CONTACT VISITS. Remember in the state of Texas they grant common law marriages. Hope this helps and takes a lot of stress off of people.
not all tdcj units take common law marriage papers . so check the unit first and see
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2010, 08:47 AM

anyone knows how to get married from the Daniel unit in
Synder TX?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:15 AM

Hello all writing from crappy austin, Tx. and just wanted to let you all know i know what its like to get married by proxy in the state of texas. Its like going to hell and back proving you are married. The warden told me and my husband they never recieved the marriage licenced and therefore couldnt allow us to have contact visits till he recieved it. My husband had taken the actual licence to prison to give it to the warden himself he was so sick of the lies. About a month later we were finally able to have a contact visit literally a day before my release. I was heated that it had taken so long. I sure was glad though after a year to finally hold and kiss my baby.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:20 PM
made from his rib

Question marrying a prisoner

i am engaged to a prisoner in huntsville, tx. he wants me to try to find a way for us to finally get married. i dont know where to look or how to go about doing this. any advice, or suggestions on how to marry a prisoner. Anyone who has married a prisoner? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:04 PM

Look in the prison marriage forum I am sure someone will be able to help you a bit quicker there! I am unfamiliar with the process myself. I hope you find the info soon so your all can get married! Congrats!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:27 PM

when you marry in prison there is a form that he needs to mail to you so you can fill out and then send back to them and go from there. They have to approve it and everything. Thats the beginning process....as far as for Mississippi
Old 08-01-2010, 08:32 PM

Not sure how it works in Texas but in CT the inmate has to request a marriage package from his counselor be mail to u. Once you get the package you fill out your part and mail it back to the counselor, my suggestion is mail it back speedily! Once the councelor review your information and everything comes back clear you all set a date and then your on your way to getting married but you also have to pay for the marriage license($30) and ($150)to the justice of the piece or a chaplin of ur choice. Rings you can also have but they have to be bands only. I'm speaking from CT point of view only. But I hope this is helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to marryd2mysomate For This Useful Post:
HizWiifey (08-01-2010)
Old 08-02-2010, 10:14 PM
made from his rib

thanks for the advice i will write him and see if he can mail a marriage package to me. i cant wait to get married!
Old 08-04-2010, 02:40 PM
made from his rib

Default Proxy marriage requirements

i heard that you cant marry someone in prison with traffic tickets...is this true? does anyone know what the requirements are before getting married??? PLEASE HELP ME IM TRYING TO GET MARRIED SOON!!!!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride_or_die View Post
i am engaged to a prisoner in huntsville, tx. he wants me to try to find a way for us to finally get married. i dont know where to look or how to go about doing this. any advice, or suggestions on how to marry a prisoner. Anyone who has married a prisoner? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!
Hopefully it hasn't changed so the information is accurate. Go to google marriage by proxy for Texas it will make sure i am stating it correctly. You have to do it all by proxy no institutional marriages. Once it is done the prison will recognize marriage by proxy. It is relatively quick so if you know you want to do it each county has it's own destination for getting it done.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:39 PM

Default prison marriage?

he's about to serve a couple years in tdc. ive been with him forever and we are ready to get married... but i dont know how this works especially while in prison. HELP!
Old 08-17-2010, 03:45 AM
I♥my hubby!

I just got married, on the 16th of August, and Bowie County was a dream to work with. Grayson county was difficult, and so was Navarro. I don't suggest going there for a ML, either place. But Bowie was *perfect*. Walker would have been OK too.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:59 PM

Question TEXAS: where do i start?

Hey guys,
the love of my life is currently at holliday unit in huntsville, tx and since we didnt get married before he went in we had to get common law married so that we can have contact visits. im very happy we took the next step in our relationship. but i want to take it to the next level and have no idea on where to start. I was wondering if yall could help me with info on how to actually get married? ive looked up stuff on the internet but its all so confusing... ive tried looking on the forums but i didnt find really wat i was looking for and for some reason when i do searches it sais im not athorized idk... thanks so much!
thx, jimmys wife
Old 09-22-2010, 08:12 AM

Ok, I see that this post is from 2003 - 2005... Would all the information in here still be correct? As in the forms and all that I would need!?
Psalm 46:10-11 "Be still and know that I am God...The LORD Almighty is with us."
Old 09-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Come on already!

Well you go to whichever county courthouse, to the county clerks office, anywhere in TX. You ask for a marriage form by proxy. A new form came out a couple months ago, that no longer requires it to be specific to someone who's incarcerated. You send the form to him and have him fill it out. He has to get it notarized, they typicall have notaries in prisons in the law libraries. He sends it back. You take that paper and the fee which is usually $75 back to the county clerk. They do some paperwork, ask you some questions, then print you out a marriage certificate. You have to wait 72 hours, then you can have a ceremony performed with a judge or justice of the peace or whomever is authorized by law, usually it's easier to do a judge or jop in the same county courthouse. You pay them their fee which is typically $50 and they sign your certificate. You take it back to the county clerk, and pay them an extra $22 for a certified copy to send your boo, and voila, in about 3 days they mail it to you, your original and a certified copy which you can send to your husband. Simple as that!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to LanaJo For This Useful Post:
ggee (10-31-2010)
Old 09-22-2010, 10:36 PM

Default Marriage by proxy?

My guy mentioned about proxy marriage? that you can get married without being there, I tried to look that up in Google and I dont get the answers I need, So I will try on here =) The first question is, Can you get married without met the person in real life? and the other question is, Can we get married even though im not a Us citizent?

I'd sell my soul just to see your face
and I'd break my bones just to heal your pain
In these times I need a saving grace
but time is running out
and I'm starting to lose my faith

Florida Georgia Line- stay
Old 09-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Honey

The best thing to do since you aren't a citizen is to call the county court house that is in the area of the prison they can help with the questions you have. But you still need to find out how it works in his prison he will have to do that. Honey
Old 09-23-2010, 07:12 AM
Account Closed

Thanked 4,535 Times in 2,021 Posts

I hope you get some answers.

Here is a link to another thread, that might give a few answers or point you in the right direction.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=502596

I hope everything works out.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Starry Eyed

Thanked 4,033 Times in 1,887 Posts

Where is your man? If he's in TX, CO, CA, or MT, you can get married by proxy. You do not have to have met him in real life to do this, although I would recommend you meet the person you're about to marry before you do it!

You can get married even though you are not a citizen, but I don't know if the procedure varies at all, so you should definitely call the county clerk in the county you wish to marry in. To marry by proxy, you will need a copy of his ID or a certified copy of his birth certificate, along with an absent applicant form for him. Some of the counties have this form online that you can print out and mail to him to fill out. If you're doing this in Texas, you need to plan to be there for at least 3 days, and bring someone with you to stand in for your guy.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanaJo View Post
Well you go to whichever county courthouse, to the county clerks office, anywhere in TX. You ask for a marriage form by proxy. A new form came out a couple months ago, that no longer requires it to be specific to someone who's incarcerated. You send the form to him and have him fill it out. He has to get it notarized, they typicall have notaries in prisons in the law libraries. He sends it back. You take that paper and the fee which is usually $75 back to the county clerk. They do some paperwork, ask you some questions, then print you out a marriage certificate. You have to wait 72 hours, then you can have a ceremony performed with a judge or justice of the peace or whomever is authorized by law, usually it's easier to do a judge or jop in the same county courthouse. You pay them their fee which is typically $50 and they sign your certificate. You take it back to the county clerk, and pay them an extra $22 for a certified copy to send your boo, and voila, in about 3 days they mail it to you, your original and a certified copy which you can send to your husband. Simple as that!!!
How does the ceremony go?? How did you dress? Was it a little awkward? Lol... Just would like to know how it all goes!!
Psalm 46:10-11 "Be still and know that I am God...The LORD Almighty is with us."
Old 09-23-2010, 08:28 AM
Come on already!

Well I just wore my attire for work, jeans, blouse, heels, I did it on my lunch hour! I didn't feel awkward, but I was nervous! The judge was super nice, he told me he didn't have to go through the whole ceremony, but ask the pertinent questions, and so he did, do you ME take YOUR BOO to be your husband, then asked my friend who stood in by proxy, do you know that BOO takes Me to be his wife, yada yada, then within 5 minutes it was done. He told me that when my boo gets out we can come and get it done between us two for free since I had already paid him the 50 to do the ceremony. It was simple and easy, the awkward part came on my drive back to work, I was like dayum I'm really married!! LOL!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LanaJo For This Useful Post:
evermore (09-23-2010), ggee (10-31-2010), mi888 (09-24-2010)
Old 09-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Well I just wore my attire for work, jeans, blouse, heels, I did it on my lunch hour! I didn't feel awkward, but I was nervous! The judge was super nice, he told me he didn't have to go through the whole ceremony, but ask the pertinent questions, and so he did, do you ME take YOUR BOO to be your husband, then asked my friend who stood in by proxy, do you know that BOO takes Me to be his wife, yada yada, then within 5 minutes it was done. He told me that when my boo gets out we can come and get it done between us two for free since I had already paid him the 50 to do the ceremony. It was simple and easy, the awkward part came on my drive back to work, I was like dayum I'm really married!! LOL!

Your realization on the way back to work sounds like something that would pop into my head and made me laugh. Congrats on your wedding as well.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Come on already!

Thank you evermore!!!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:45 AM

He is in texas , going to be in TDC soon, thanks for all your responses =D now i know so much more

I'd sell my soul just to see your face
and I'd break my bones just to heal your pain
In these times I need a saving grace
but time is running out
and I'm starting to lose my faith

Florida Georgia Line- stay

Last edited by minimaugirl; 09-23-2010 at 11:47 AM..
Old 09-24-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
What county did you get married in?? I have a feeling I'm going to have a hard time finding a jp in my county that will do it! I would like just the simple stuff too..later we plan to do it BIG! Lol...Also CONGRATS!! And thanks for your reply!