Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > SULLIVAN HUB - NY DOCS
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

SULLIVAN HUB - NY DOCS New York State Prisons & Institutions located inside the SULLIVAN HUB - Ulster, Eastern, Woodbourne, Sullivan, Shawangunk, Wallkill, Otisville, Mid-Orange.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:43 AM

Default Visiting Ulster Correctional Facility

My boyfriend was just transferred to Ulster yesterday, and while I will definitely browse through the threads to find some information... Can anyone reply with info on visiting at Ulster Correctional Facility? I need to find out the best way to travel there, since I don't have a car (I do have a driver's license, but in the City? Yikes!)

I've read that I can not bring packages, just money and cigarettes; that I can visit on odd weekends depending on his DIN#. This weekend is his, being odd.. I've also read that I should be sure to bring dollar bills and lots of change for the vending machines...

Anything else I should know?

Thanks!!!
Old 06-05-2009, 07:04 AM
Not active-find *********
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,379 Times in 3,006 Posts
Default wear conservative clothes

nothing tight, slit, see through (some places consider all white see through). It is pretty ok at Ulster. By the way, if he is at Ulster this means he is going to a medium prison. Can't help with transport because I am in Buffalo and I drove there when I visited. I remember the visit being ok though. If you can send him some money (or leave him some money) for his commissary that will help him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwitykwity View Post
My boyfriend was just transferred to Ulster yesterday, and while I will definitely browse through the threads to find some information... Can anyone reply with info on visiting at Ulster Correctional Facility? I need to find out the best way to travel there, since I don't have a car (I do have a driver's license, but in the City? Yikes!)

I've read that I can not bring packages, just money and cigarettes; that I can visit on odd weekends depending on his DIN#. This weekend is his, being odd.. I've also read that I should be sure to bring dollar bills and lots of change for the vending machines...

Thanks!!!

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
Old 06-05-2009, 09:03 AM

Thanks MommaAnn... I'm 38, and I'm not into wearing skimpy stuff anyway--He knows what I look like out of clothes LOL I wouldn't risk not being able to visit simply because the way I'm dressed, so I thank you for noting the dress code. We always send him money (his mother and I), so he had money in his account before he was transferred from Riker's--His mom says thankfully he has a "wife" now because she's not able to travel as much because of her health, so I've been making the max visits (sentenced inmates can only have two visits per week while in the City), and she's been more than helpful financially. My family doesn't know yet that he's been incarcerated, and it's really not necessary since I've been going this long raising my children as a single parent long before I met him, so when I tell him, it'll just be matter-of-factly.

Yes, we figure he'll go to a medium prison since the crime was non-violent, but his last bid was violent and his institutional behavior was NOT good--he spent most of his eight and a half years in solitary at quite a few prisons. I do hope when he meets with his counselor, and has that interview, they see how different he was from his last stay with the DOC, and that his likelihood to return for another visit is near non-existent. He's serving jail time for less than $500, because his other baby's mother gave him 3 out of 10 checks she stole from her mother while her mother was on vacation, while saying she had permission to do so in order to take care of bills while her mom was away. She had no picture ID, so she had him go to the bank to cash them. Others she cashed at the corner store or the check cashing place because they knew her family. It boils down to him realizing the hard way that he shouldn't have been involved with her in the first place--he's not even sure the baby is his, since she's admitted to cheating on him during the time of conception.

Despite all the negative stuff, he's made it clear to me that he's made huge mistakes, and will do everything he needs to get home soon so we can get on with our lives and responsibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Ann View Post
nothing tight, slit, see through (some places consider all white see through). It is pretty ok at Ulster. By the way, if he is at Ulster this means he is going to a medium prison. Can't help with transport because I am in Buffalo and I drove there when I visited. I remember the visit being ok though. If you can send him some money (or leave him some money) for his commissary that will help him.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Donation Award 

Default well hope it works out for you two

sounds like you know him reallly well and that he has been honest with you. Good luck!
Quote:
Thanks MommaAnn... I'm 38, and I'm not into wearing skimpy stuff anyway--He knows what I look like out of clothes LOL I wouldn't risk not being able to visit simply because the way I'm dressed, so I thank you for noting the dress code. We always send him money (his mother and I), so he had money in his account before he was transferred from Riker's--His mom says thankfully he has a "wife" now because she's not able to travel as much because of her health, so I've been making the max visits (sentenced inmates can only have two visits per week while in the City), and she's been more than helpful financially. My family doesn't know yet that he's been incarcerated, and it's really not necessary since I've been going this long raising my children as a single parent long before I met him, so when I tell him, it'll just be matter-of-factly.

Yes, we figure he'll go to a medium prison since the crime was non-violent, but his last bid was violent and his institutional behavior was NOT good--he spent most of his eight and a half years in solitary at quite a few prisons. I do hope when he meets with his counselor, and has that interview, they see how different he was from his last stay with the DOC, and that his likelihood to return for another visit is near non-existent. He's serving jail time for less than $500, because his other baby's mother gave him 3 out of 10 checks she stole from her mother while her mother was on vacation, while saying she had permission to do so in order to take care of bills while her mom was away. She had no picture ID, so she had him go to the bank to cash them. Others she cashed at the corner store or the check cashing place because they knew her family. It boils down to him realizing the hard way that he shouldn't have been involved with her in the first place--he's not even sure the baby is his, since she's admitted to cheating on him during the time of conception.

Despite all the negative stuff, he's made it clear to me that he's made huge mistakes, and will do everything he needs to get home soon so we can get on with our lives and responsibilities.

"Pay it forward."
Old 07-12-2009, 07:02 PM

Just came back from my second weekend visit! Excellent but sad too at the same time! LISTEN UP>>>>>>>> they were turning girls away for not being dressed appropriately...but really they did not follow guidelines...see through pants, low cut tops, and no sleeves...I stress out and try my outfits on 2 times to make sure i look OK! I wore two halter dresses long ones with a cute lil sweater over it to cover the back and shoulders.......I smile say goodmorning and walk right in........................................
Old 07-20-2009, 01:47 AM
Missing him so

Quote:

Thanks!!!
Well it looks like you have it all mapped out I can tell you that Manny's and Corky's go to Ulster Correctional. If you do a search on here I believe you can find it in the NY transportation thread. I believe it's under bus and van service not to sure. I really dont know too much about Ulster. But from what I understand all of what you said so far is true. I hope I was able to help in some way. Oh there is more van services for ulster but I forgot the names
Old 08-08-2009, 01:52 PM

Ulster is a temporary stay, no . . . it is a type of clearing house and prisoners go from there to their permanent facility.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Missing him so

Yea most times inmates go to Ulster, downstate, fishkill as a reception until they are placed in a permanant facility.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Donation Award 

my hubby is at ulster awaiting transport...can i go see him and how quick before he can call me?
thanks for any help!

Last edited by louslady; 08-13-2009 at 01:14 PM..
Old 01-10-2010, 04:53 PM

Well, my guy was transferred from Downstate to Ulster (he is now in Gowanda) so I got letters from him at both places and even a Christmas card from him at Ulster (not sure how he got one of those). As both places are just clearing (reception) he was bored to tears and they are not allowed to read, or anything except wait for their test, like math, logic and English and then all the medical stuff. He was transferred to Ulster to be tested to go into Shock, which he was denied, as this was his 3rd DWI. Just as well, as he did not want Shock anyway. I know they can call you pretty soon after transport and letters pretty soon as well.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by louslady View Post
my hubby is at ulster awaiting transport...can i go see him and how quick before he can call me?
thanks for any help!
Yes you cn go see him. But make sure to call the facility the day before you plan on visiting to make sure he is still there. Not sure how long before he can call i don't remember. Maybe someone will come along and answer. If you plan on going to ulster Jeff's bus service goes up there and he picks up in different locations. The number is 718-940-7477.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:45 PM

What are the visiting hours at Ulster. My husband will be in transit held up there, over the weekend. Can I bring him cigarettes? IsDoes the visiting room have an outside smoking area?
Old 07-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenhandicap View Post
Ulster is a temporary stay, no . . . it is a type of clearing house and prisoners go from there to their permanent facility.
My husband was Just at Downstate for 29 days & was sent to Ulster yesterday. He said he thinks he's going to Watertown CF Monday but someone posted on PTO her man was at Ulster for 2 weeks....I Don't know if this was for Reception or if hubby can Possibly be held like Another 2 weeks before reaching his final facility? He's under the impression he'll be there Monday & will be able to call me maybe late Monday to give me the address so I can send his packages on Tuesday. But to me Nothing's positive with NYS DOCS! If anyone could clarify this for me I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

Sindarla
Old 08-31-2010, 10:51 PM

My boyfriend is getting sent to Ulster on Thursday. Just wondering how often he will be able to call? Anyone, please let me know. I'd really appreciate it!
Old 08-31-2010, 11:36 PM

If he can get to the phone, he can call u as many times as he likes. My bf is there now and he says they have two phones. One in da yard and one inside. I speak to him everyday, most times twice a day. There's 60 people in his area so its not that bad. I know it wont be this sweet once he gets transferred so we're taking advantage of it until then.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:38 PM

Oh I forgot to mention, the phones are turned on at 10am and shuts down at 10pm.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:05 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystrongO16 View Post
My boyfriend is getting sent to Ulster on Thursday. Just wondering how often he will be able to call? Anyone, please let me know. I'd really appreciate it!
My husband was Only at Ulster for 1 weekend but I was able to talk to my him more frequently than at Downstate, Although he hung up early since there was Always a line to use the phone behind him. Now that he's been transferred to watertown CF (a medium) he's able to talk to me Whenever he can, we Usually have 2 calls a day, but we Did talk before for a total of 1 1/2 hours in a day. I Love we get to talk so much now s When he was in county we Usually Only talked twice a week for 15 minutes each call because it was roughly $5 a call. I Love the cheap V connect rates!
Old 09-10-2010, 07:57 PM

Thanks Natbee10! He just got sent there Thursday. All we know right now is that we can send him a letter but he still hasn't called yet. I'm excited though because we are visiting him next weekend! Thanks again.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:16 AM
Always hopeful

Hi everyone, I'm super new to this so I'm in need of some basic info. My BF just got transfered from Riverhead to Ulster and I have no clue when I'll hear from him!

I had just put money into his commissary at Riverhead what happens to that money .. is it transfered with him? Can I send him anything in the mail ... Idk I'm sorry for all the questions but I'm just lost and confused and I dont really talk to anyone around me about this.

Also is the telephone service the same as the last jail?

Thanx a million to whoever get back to me ... I really do appreciate it!!!

W.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:15 AM
Donation Award 

deep breath! lol the county money does NOT transfer with him--at east not here-call them and get it refunded. You need to send him a money order with his state ID number(called his DIN) on it payable to him at Ulster. They will put it in his commissary account--that money will be his anywhere he is in the state system. Do it as soon as you can so he can get the things he needs (deoderant, stamps etc.) Read the info on Ulster at the top of this thread-visiting et al is there. If you need more info--send me a private message PM(click on my name on this post--it will say send a private messge to Momma Ann).

"Pay it forward."
Old 10-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Donation Award 

Default for telelphone

you have to go to myvconnect.com and set up an account --totally different provider. You must have a landline to receive calls from a NYS DOCS facility. There is a note on vconnect about getting calls on a cell-but that does NOT apply to New York.

"Pay it forward."
Old 02-11-2011, 02:07 PM

My husband is in ulster. Just got moved there. Is there any info that anyone can give me..like how the visits work? cost of vending machines? how many visitors? is it weekends only or Sat. or Sunday? Thank you in advance.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Donation Award 

assuming he is in transit or in reception--yes it is a medium and visits are weekends. I think it is determinbed by DIN number. /we have the info on a sticky-look for it.

"Pay it forward."
The Following User Says Thank You to Momma Ann For This Useful Post:
VAC (02-13-2011)
Old 02-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Donation Award 

Default it is done by DIN

link to sticky

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83123

"Pay it forward."