Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:43 AM

Default I am a former federal inmate

My name is Randy and I'm a former inmate at the Edgefield FCI (Camp) and can answer Edgefield specific specific questions and general federal questions including RDAP.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Randy55 For This Useful Post:
alabamagirl82 (09-05-2012), candy (08-18-2017), Heluvedme1st (06-08-2013), Here4Us (09-05-2012), linzerita (02-01-2016), mallafri (11-05-2012), Zelda50 (09-05-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2012, 11:58 AM

Is the RDAP program hard? If i have a 36 month sentence will i be able to get into the program right away when i self surrender? Or will i have to wait a while? Thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johneverymann For This Useful Post:
alabamagirl82 (09-05-2012), Here4Us (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 01:27 PM

Thanks for your help!! My fiancé was in safford and he just applied for rdap program!! He DOES have a gun charge but his counselor told him that he shouldn't have a problem getting the year off!! Everywhere I read says different!! Do you know anyone that has got the one year off with a gun charge??

Thanks for any help
The Following User Says Thank You to Tmharris For This Useful Post:
Here4Us (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 01:33 PM

RDAP is really an easy program to get through ... everybody in my class (they called the classes "cohorts" where I did my time) passed easily except for those that got kicked out ... but make sure that your PSR has the right stuff in it to make getting accepted into the program easier as there is a huge demand to get into RDAP and the BOP has certain criteria that they apply. Doesn't matter if the judge suggests it - having the right stuff in the PSR itself is far more important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johneverymann View Post
Is the RDAP program hard? If i have a 36 month sentence will i be able to get into the program right away when i self surrender? Or will i have to wait a while? Thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randy55 For This Useful Post:
Endings (03-08-2019), Here4Us (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 01:43 PM

Nobody with a gun or violence circumstance was allowed to get the year off in my group. But it may have to do with the exact nature of the gun enhancement. Was he convicted of a gun charge or was it alleged in the PSR? There may be some circumstances where possession alone (without violence) may be ok ... will have to do a little research on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmharris View Post
Thanks for your help!! My fiancé was in safford and he just applied for rdap program!! He DOES have a gun charge but his counselor told him that he shouldn't have a problem getting the year off!! Everywhere I read says different!! Do you know anyone that has got the one year off with a gun charge??

Thanks for any help
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy55 For This Useful Post:
Here4Us (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 02:00 PM

He was charged with conspiracy n 5 years was added for possession! It was not used in a violent act! Matter of fact they found it in his house n it wasn't loaded either!! Anything you can help me find out would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:35 PM

The link below my message seems to say that the BOP says he's ineligible ... the first part of the article is more historical but the last few paragraphs say that any gun enhancement for a felony offender would make an inmate ineligible. But if his team (BOP staff / counselor etc.) say he is eligible - go for it. Keep in mind if you discuss this on the phone they may overhear or if he talks to other inmates - somebody may snitch ... I hope he gets the RDAP and out early!

just cut and paste into your browser location field and then put put a period . between the "y" in attorney and the "c" in com ... to make it a "dot com" url ... seems I can't post links until I've made 25 posts here ...

madisonattorneycom/criminal-defense-blog/?p=249

Quote:
He was charged with conspiracy n 5 years was added for possession! It was not used in a violent act! Matter of fact they found it in his house n it wasn't loaded either!! Anything you can help me find out would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:39 PM

Thank you so much!! We are gonna give it a shot anyway! He should know something in a couple of weeks!!
Old 09-05-2012, 03:48 PM

Randy,

Did you know my buddy Steve Hunter? He was in Edgedfield last I heard.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:53 PM

Sorry, don't know him ... been a few years since I got out.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy55 View Post
My name is Randy and I'm a former inmate at the Edgefield FCI (Camp) and can answer Edgefield specific specific questions and general federal questions including RDAP.
Randy,
I am designated minimum for edgefield. I ss next month. any insight as to what to expect. Do I report to the camp or the medium fci? All of the other posts here make it sound really bad, as though it is the worst place in the southeast, is this true? What are the day to day operations like, and what kind of work is there to do? I was hoping for Maxwell since it is close to home. Is a transfer out of the question. I was sentenced to 30 months so I guess i will do 22 months there before going to a hhouse.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:05 AM
Donation Award 

Location: Somewhere out there, beneath the clear blue sky (f)
Thanked 1,224 Times in 738 Posts

Randy, being you took rdap. Can you drink on supervised release?
Old 09-07-2012, 09:04 AM

As a condition of my supervised release I was not supposed too ... my P.O. was totally not intrusive though ... in fact, I was only drug tested once in three years and that was within days of being released from the halfway house and into probation ... pay attention to what your particular terms of supervised release are - be careful - and hopefully you'll get a chill P.O. ...
Old 09-09-2012, 07:28 AM

Can you please explain to me the home confindment process and how it works. My Husband and i are trying to understand the process. Do people come out to the house and what all do they do. will he have to wear a monitoring device or anything like that. will they do a back ground check on me.....any infromation i will greatly appreciate it...Thanks
Old 09-09-2012, 08:34 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,445 Times in 13,478 Posts

Home confinement is considered to be the same as HWH time. Both happen while still in bop custody, and end on the release date, which is when the supervised release sentence begins. Prior to release, the bop sets all conditions, afterwards it is the job of the probation officer.

Before either being allowed home confinement (pre release) or actual release at the end of the prison sentence, US Probation must approve a home plan. The inmate will tell his unit team, or the HWH, where he wants to live. The PO will do a home visit and then either approve the plan, or deny it.

Some of the things the PO will ask are: do you approve of him living there? are there firearms in the house? illegal drugs? and anything that would be against his specific probation restrictions, like alcohol if he can't drink on SR.

If the plan is approved, then he will be eligible for home confinement when he has satisfies the HWH requirements and/or will be allowed to live there when he is finally released by the bop. If not, you will either have to change whatever the PO doesn't like about the plan, or he will have to submit a different one and the process will start over. If he doesn't have an approved home plan, he will not qualify for home confinement and may end up being homeless when he is released.

Restrictions on home confinement depend on the HWH and the bop. You will need a land line phone with zero extra features like call forwarding. He may have to call the HWH and get permission every time he wants to leave the house, or he may be able to do whatever he wants except during curfew hours. The HWH will check on where he is by phone, and by unanounced visits. I didn't have an ankle bracelet, but that will be up to them too.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (10-31-2017), HisQueen77 (09-10-2012), Randy55 (09-10-2012), VBsWife (11-20-2017)
Old 09-10-2012, 09:04 AM

Your comments regarding HWH and home confinement are right ... only thing I will add is that the HWH (in their quasi-BOP capacity) can be real assholes and super strict - by the book in some locations ... but in other locations they are so corrupt ... that's where I ended up ... staff had their hand out for bribes constantly ... $200 would get you sent to home confinement right away ... HWH staff was way worse than the CO's in prison ...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Randy55 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-10-2012), Fridyrr.Likn (10-31-2017), HisQueen77 (09-10-2012), VBsWife (11-20-2017)
Old 09-10-2012, 07:27 PM

thank you for that infromation that really did help me out very much. we were not sure what to expect.
The Following User Says Thank You to HisQueen77 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-11-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Quote:
Hi. I also have finished the RDAP program a while ago and have studied up on it very thoroughly. Where I was at, inmates who received an enhancement for a gun charge, none received the 12 month time off. Those who had some violence in their case, background, or PSI...you can debate it with the DAPC (drug abuse program coordinator) and even with DSCC. They have loosened their standard on what is deemed "violent" these days.

In your case, since the gun was not even loaded or used in anyway, I see you have a great case of getting the full time off.

Even without time off, everyone completing RDAP would get the 6 month extended halfway house and home confinement.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johneverymann View Post
Hey johneverymann...cool handle. The RDAP program is not hard if you are willing to follow the rules and do the work. It's really hard for those who are trying to get by or gaming the system..they quickly weed you out.

With a 36 mths sentence, you can apply immediately upon coming to prison and get on the wait list. Those with a earlier "out" release date would have hire priority. Most likely you'd start about 6 months (totally depending on the wait list length at the institution) or so after you arrive. If you receive your full 9 months off, you'd be in prison a total of 36 - 5 Good Time - 6 Halfway house/home confinement - 9 RDAP time off => 16 months which is not bad considering. That's less than 50% of your sentence. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Banned

I actually have a question about the 27 months that is required to be remaining on your sentence in order to qualify for the program. Does that include halfway house time and good time? So if someone has exactly 27 months left on their sentence and is supposed to do halfway house and hasn't had their good time deducted will they not qualify? I'm not sure if this falls under a general question or not but any help would be appreciated. Also I heard everyone that does the RDAP program goes to a half way house. Is this true? Thanks.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever<3 View Post
I actually have a question about the 27 months that is required to be remaining on your sentence in order to qualify for the program. Does that include halfway house time and good time? So if someone has exactly 27 months left on their sentence and is supposed to do halfway house and hasn't had their good time deducted will they not qualify? I'm not sure if this falls under a general question or not but any help would be appreciated. Also I heard everyone that does the RDAP program goes to a half way house. Is this true? Thanks.
You need to have a minimum 24 month sentence in order to get into RDAP. This is the sentence given to you by the judge (and not remaining time). I know there's a lot of talk about 27 months...but it is actually 24 months.

When you start the program is based on the wait-list at your institution with those having an earlier "out" release date getting priority. You can apply to the RDAP program once you are at the 36 month mark of time remaining on your total sentence (without consideration of Good Time or Halfway House).

Everyone who graduates from RDAP gets Halfway house and home confinement of exactly 6 months. There might be an exception but is is super rare.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaplawconsult View Post
You need to have a minimum 24 month sentence in order to get into RDAP. This is the sentence given to you by the judge (and not remaining time). I know there's a lot of talk about 27 months...but it is actually 24 months.

When you start the program is based on the wait-list at your institution with those having an earlier "out" release date getting priority. You can apply to the RDAP program once you are at the 36 month mark of time remaining on your total sentence (without consideration of Good Time or Halfway House).

Everyone who graduates from RDAP gets Halfway house and home confinement of exactly 6 months. There might be an exception but is is super rare.
Regarding the halfway house, how does that work if there isn't one in your direct area? I know one of the stipulations of leaving the half way house is getting a job. But why's the point if getting a job 2 1/2 hours away from where you live?
Old 11-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaplawconsult View Post
This is currently INACCURATE information. The reality is 30 months left on sentence is the low cut off now, although occasionally 29 months gets through. Because of the popularity of the program, the scarcity of halfway beds and maybe orneriness, I have verified this number with everyone from RDAP BOP, defense attorneys, and post-conviction consultants. If one's lawyer is a member of NACDL (Crim. Defense Lawyers), they will find countless references to frustration with time cut offs.

Alan Ellis, alanellis.com has a good write up in his new BOP handbook. His facts are accurate.

Last edited by bellisq; 11-05-2012 at 03:12 PM..
Old 11-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
My BF had the same incident and has been told by two separate case managers that he's not eligable for the RDAP, no one with a gun charge is.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:10 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,441 Posts

I can't disprove a single and undocumented anecdotal reference, but I guess I will hunt down the BOP policy to show the facts as I have stated them. I have posted them previously. Policy does not vary by facility, it is a BOP wide policy. Maybe you'd like to share the client's bop.gov info with a moderator, otherwise I believe your post leaves PTO'ers with BAD information and false hope. Waiting lists for RDAP are long.

Last edited by bellisq; 11-06-2012 at 07:11 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
rdaplawconsult (11-06-2012)