Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > San Quentin State Prison (SQ) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

San Quentin State Prison (SQ) - California Topic and discussion specific to San Quentin State Prison located in San Quentin, California.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy3 View Post
it's a quarter mile, up hill, not bad at all. the guards will take elderly or disabled or something but not just if it's a long walk...medical reasons and what-not. in the golf cart now/not van. takes a few minutes walking depending on shoe-style and pace, but there's a yellow line up the middle of the sidewalk and usually others walking in same direction. google map the prison and you can see the gate/entrance...the visiting tube is there at the base and across from the post office, then just follow that yellow lined sidewalk for a visual. might lesson the stress to see it if you can.
Yeah, thats main visiting. I always hum "Follow the Yellow Brick Road" in my head while I'm walking. (Does anyone else do that or am I crazy?) I've always done all of my visits there, first with ex-fiance in reception, now with friend in H-unit restricted to non-contact. H-unit has its own visiting area somewhere off the yellow brick road, that's what was freaking me out. Especially after he gave me the description of his walk up. Its ok, I'm over it - I'll figure it out. Thanks, tho.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2013, 05:30 PM
daisy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduced View Post
Yeah, thats main visiting. I always hum "Follow the Yellow Brick Road" in my head while I'm walking. (Does anyone else do that or am I crazy?) I've always done all of my visits there, first with ex-fiance in reception, now with friend in H-unit restricted to non-contact. H-unit has its own visiting area somewhere off the yellow brick road, that's what was freaking me out. Especially after he gave me the description of his walk up. Its ok, I'm over it - I'll figure it out. Thanks, tho.
I hum it in my head; not out loud ;-)
Old 08-25-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduced View Post

H unit is where you get on the van and they shuttle you over to the other side of the prison .. it is just like visiting on mainline ... H unit is contact visit...all the same rules as mainline just a different location.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 AM

Does anyone have information if the information that visits for condemned inmates has not been extended (as a result of the strike) is correct?
Old 09-20-2013, 07:22 PM
wifey

does anybody know if they have changed the rules for visiting for condemned I wrote in for my visits for October for 2 hours Thursday 5 hours Saturday and 5 hours sunday he got the reply they have only gave me 5 hours Saturday and 5 hours sunday they wrote on the slip that I have to phone a week before to book Thursday visit I have never phoned to book a thurday visit I was over in june I wrote in for my visits and got them
Old 09-26-2013, 09:27 AM
5'3 High And Rising
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,642 Times in 2,921 Posts

I dont know what's going on with the visiting for the condemed. I sent in my letter to visit for September and I never got a response back and my love one never received confirmation. I quashed the visit because I come to far to run into any drama. I send my letter 30 days in advance with a stamp envelope. Now I'm heraing 90 days??? WTH????? Any information would be appreciated.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:49 PM
wifey

my husband spoke to the visiting sergant because they said thursday visits was full he was told that people who write in for there visits should do son 90 days on thursday legal visits get in first so he said i should try and phone in a week before i come over to see if i can get a visit for thursday as someone might cancell im going to travel a long way just for sat and sunday visits
Old 10-18-2013, 04:59 PM

does anyone know how visiting works for reception at san quentin? my boyfriend just got down there last week and he has no phone calls and i believe non contact visits. im new to this and need help!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:41 AM

Angry

How long does it take for an inmate to get out of reception?
Old 10-23-2013, 04:21 AM

what is the difference between mainline and h-unit?
Old 10-23-2013, 08:48 AM
wifey

Default just got back

just got home from visiting my husband all the prison is on lockdown except death row and main line anybody going on visits call the prison first
Old 11-08-2013, 05:24 PM

I have been told by a friend of mine whom is a CO at SQ, that if your credit card is as large as the tank top strap then you should be ok. But then again that is him, the next 10 may say 10 different things

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmom View Post
Thought the clothing regs were pretty straightforward, but now I have a question. I've checked the Visiting Handbook and Title 15 and it isn't listed. There's an older woman who visits every month or so and is very well dressed, very classic, upscale clothing. A few weeks ago she wore a mid-calif length, sleeveless polka dot dress (just like the dress Julia Roberts wore in Pretty Woman when they went to the horse races but different color) with a simple short-sleeve sweater. As she started to remove her sweater the CO said she'd have to change her top. When she indicated it was a dress they measured the shoulders and because they were only 2" instead of 3" they said she'd have to change. The LT was nearby and told her she could use the restroom to put her sweater under the dress, which she did. Neither she nor the man she was with argued, but you could tell she was confused, and I thought the LT was a bit embarrassed that they made her do that. Has anyone heard of this rule? I assume it's just at San Quentin. Does San Quentin have any kind of printed guidelines so we are aware of their specific rules?

Last edited by PTO9101112; 11-08-2013 at 05:29 PM..
Old 11-09-2013, 01:47 AM

Thanked 1,111 Times in 527 Posts

It took my son over 6 months. He was in lockdown the whole time and could not talk on the phone or receive visits. All communication was by mail until he completed reception and was sent elsewhere. Sorry, I know it's hard but it does end! It did get him to write alot of letters, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeandnay View Post
How long does it take for an inmate to get out of reception?
Old 01-15-2014, 04:20 PM
daisy3

Question

Dress code question:

Attire: dresses

Can anyone elaborate or share an experience of "bad" or "good" dresses that have either not been allowed in or allowed in for a visit.

The most I'm aware of regarding dresses is that they have to be no more than two (2) inches above the knee.

Anything else to add: to know about - is much appreciated!!!

Thank you!
Old 01-15-2014, 04:30 PM
wifey

i have worn dresses up to your neck with sleeves and below your knee i wore a skirt just above the knee and they said i was on the boarder line lol they let me in so its best to go just below ur knee
daisy3 (01-15-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy3 View Post
Dress code question:

Attire: dresses

Can anyone elaborate or share an experience of "bad" or "good" dresses that have either not been allowed in or allowed in for a visit.

The most I'm aware of regarding dresses is that they have to be no more than two (2) inches above the knee.

Anything else to add: to know about - is much appreciated!!!

Thank you!
One officer told me it was 2" above the knee when sitting down which is much longer than 2" standing. I have worn leggings with pretty short dresses and not had any problem but I was surprised when they didn't say anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to cricket7 For This Useful Post:
daisy3 (02-02-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 08:48 PM
Donation Award 

I've been going to visit almost monthly

Quote:
Originally Posted by javiersgirl View Post
Hello i live in Ferndale and the ride is beautiful i just was up at sanquentin last weekend. Do you go often?
Old 04-08-2014, 11:35 AM
daisy3

has anyone experienced any "new rules" about attire...? the last time I was there, I was told "nothing fitted around the front area (such as jeans)." the officer moved her hand in a circle and outlined from the waist, to the crotch, and from hip to hip/left and right. it was suggested that the pants be pleated and loose in that entire area. when I asked "slacks" the officer said: "no they don't have to be slacks.: then stood up and showed me the way her uniform fits her body-shape. any feedback about any recent attire experiences will be much appreciated. thank you.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:24 PM
wifey

i have not heard of this before maybe wear a top that is long thats what i do never had any problems but they change the rules when they feel like it
daisy3 (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 04:43 PM
daisy3

Yes. I'd not heard of this before either. The schematic changes every other visit - which leads to frustration and me asking. thank you for the reply
Old 04-13-2014, 09:35 PM

Thanked 1,111 Times in 527 Posts

I suggest you wear sweat pants. You don't have to worry about metal because there are no zippers or clasps. I have always worn them and have never been denied entry. I do wear them loose--but it's better than being turned away. Make sure the sweat pants are not light-colored and not tight.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:07 PM
5'3 High And Rising
Donation Award 

This has been an issue for quite sometime. At the IFC meeting in August 2013 the dress attire was mention:

June 2013

Dress Issues Review Statewide Standard and Train Staff: Have received many complaints from
visitors. Visitors have been told they need to change clothing they have been wearing in the past,
some for years. Staff needs to be consistent. Some visitors feel there has been racial
discrimination. The Warden reminds us that every shape has a size that is appropriate.

Lt. stated that the measurement is no longer an issue, but both the front and the back of a top must be modest. The visiting staff now states that it is permissible to wear skinny jeans or tights IF they are worn with a dress, shirt, or tunic no shorter than 2 above the knee. Sleeveless garments are permitted but the shoulder must measure about 3 (the
long side of a drivers license). Any top with lace or see-through fabric is not allowed. Any garment where the outline of underwear can be seen is not permitted.

By October 2013 the final word is the dress attire that is outlined in the visitors handbook should be followed. Here is the rules:

1. Do not wear clothing that resembles the clothing that prisoners wear
a. Blue denim pants;
b. Blue chambray shirts;
c. Orange jumpsuits or Orange tops with Orange bottoms;
d. Red tops (Pleasant Valley State Prison only); or
e. Dresses that resemble prisoner muumuu (female institutions only)
2. Do not wear clothing that resembles what custodial staff wear
a. Forest green pants;
b. Tan shirts; or
c. Camouflage
3. Dress conservatively and modestly; and
4. Do not wear any item that cannot be taken off and will not clear a metal detector (such as an underwire bra or clothing with metal buttons).
There are specific restrictions:
No blue denim, blue chambray, orange jumpsuits or orange tops with orange bottoms;
No forest green bottoms with tan tops;
No camouflage unless identification shows active or reserve military personnel;
No strapless, halter, bare midriff, sheer, or transparent clothing;
No skirts, dresses, or shorts that expose more than two inches above the knee;
No clothing that exposes the breast, genitalia, or buttocks area;

If they still give you a hard time you have the right to speak to the LT. The LT can overide staffs decesions. I hope this helps.
daisy3 (04-18-2014), lulupine (04-16-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 10:58 AM
daisy3

I was actually told by the guard to wear pants resembling their pants. the guard stood up and turned from front to back and said my pants should look like these. they are constantly splitting hairs. I spoke to the LT, who said the guard's decision would be backed-up, even if it is contradictory from the rules or from a previous call-out of acceptance or denial. it's neurotic, damning behavior. thanks for the additional posts and suggestions
Old 04-18-2014, 11:45 AM
5'3 High And Rising
Donation Award 

Like I said the LT has the final say and he can overide a decesion if he feels that they are in the wrong and you are right. However if he also agree that your pants is form fitting then yes he will backed them up. You can make a complaint with IFC regarding your experience.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:57 PM

The leggings and long dress/shirt didn't work for me recently. I wore a loose, a-line dress... CONSERVATIVE ENOUGH THAT I WORE IT TO MY FATHER'S FUNERAL MASS...with black leggings underneath. The dress was longer than the 2 inches above the knee rule, but not quite knee length. Yet, I still had to put pants on instead. I was told that the pants I was changing into, 'could not be tight,' even though the dress was almost to my knees. I was confused at having to change the leggings and asked them about the legging rule, and I was told that shirts and dresses have to be knee length or longer if you want to wear leggings. But, I don't know..I have seen people wear leggings with shorter shirts and dresses. Whatever LOL...I just come with 4 outfit changes every time LOL. And Daisy, yes I had the 'nothing fitted' thing said to me. I once wore an a-line skirt down to my ankles and had to change that because the waistband was fitted...which I would think that would be good...if it was loose, it would have been falling off me!

Last edited by rosebud04; 04-29-2014 at 06:03 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosebud04 For This Useful Post:
daisy3 (05-08-2014), V_Schoppe (07-02-2017)