Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Illinois

Old 11-24-2011, 09:24 AM

Default Several questions about Pontiac

I just signed-up for this site today and have some questions about Pontiac. I have a friend there and he's in protective custody. I don't have contact with him, so I don't know why he was sent there. Does anyone know why a person might be sent to that prison and be in protective custody?

Can I send him books?

Can I send him pictures? I mean little like 4x5s?

What is the visiting situation like?

Is there any grass or anything there? I've heard that some people don't see the moon, animals or grass while they're in prison, so I'm wondering about that.

What's the situation like for them to make phone calls? How often can they make a call and how long can it be?

If I send a letter to him from Chicago about how many days might it take for him to get it?

I once called there and was transferred to a lady that was super-nice and she answered some of my questions. I'm hoping to hear from some people on this site and their personal experiences.

If there's any other information someone would like to share I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2011, 09:40 PM
ALL POWER IS THE LORDS

Smile I would like to Welcome you to the site

:welc ome:ILKARINA to this site.
We will be happy to help you with any information that we may have regrading this facility.

Last edited by heisRfamily2; 11-24-2011 at 09:43 PM..
Old 11-24-2011, 09:59 PM
ALL POWER IS THE LORDS

Smile Here is a few answers to your questions.

Yes they do have grass. I guess that some of them can see the grass if they have a window in their cell. Some cells have windows and some do not have windows.
He could be in PC ( protective custody) for varies reasons. He could be being protected from someone, or it could be a little more complicated. You will probably have to get a direct answer from him.
Yes, you can send him letters, books, magazines and pictures.
The Inmate address is:
Ponitac Correctional Center
Inmate's name and I.D #
P.O. Box 99
Pontiac, IL 61764
You can also order books and magazines from amazon or any other company that you choose and have them sent directly to him. You can get him a magazine subscription etc. just some ideas for you to consider.
You can call and get his visiting days. The days run on a schedule of even days or odd days, meaning he would have visiting days on all even number days of the month or odd days of the month. The people who are allowed even days for this month was able to get a visit today because 24 is even number and the people with odd days will get visit tomorrow and so on.
I hope that this information answer some of your questions.
Good luck & again welcome
chocco (04-12-2013)
Old 12-13-2011, 09:56 AM

Default Thank you

Thank you. I haven't checked this site since I made my profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisRfamily2 View Post
:welc ome:ILKARINA to this site.
We will be happy to help you with any information that we may have regrading this facility.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:02 AM

Wow, thank you for all this information. I can't imagine being in a place without windows. That's really not good.

I want to send him something for Christmas. I was thinking of this certain book, but I'm not going to pay more than the book is worth for Amazon to send it to me quick and then send it to him. I'm just not sure if I want this person to have my home address. I haven't talked with him in years and not since he was arrested and convicted. I really have no idea about what type a person he is now, meaning if he's angry about his conviction, etc.

And thank you for your welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisRfamily2 View Post
Yes they do have grass. I guess that some of them can see the grass if they have a window in their cell. Some cells have windows and some do not have windows.
He could be in PC ( protective custody) for varies reasons. He could be being protected from someone, or it could be a little more complicated. You will probably have to get a direct answer from him.
Yes, you can send him letters, books, magazines and pictures.
The Inmate address is:
Ponitac Correctional Center
Inmate's name and I.D #
P.O. Box 99
Pontiac, IL 61764
You can also order books and magazines from amazon or any other company that you choose and have them sent directly to him. You can get him a magazine subscription etc. just some ideas for you to consider.
You can call and get his visiting days. The days run on a schedule of even days or odd days, meaning he would have visiting days on all even number days of the month or odd days of the month. The people who are allowed even days for this month was able to get a visit today because 24 is even number and the people with odd days will get visit tomorrow and so on.
I hope that this information answer some of your questions.
Good luck & again welcome
Old 12-10-2012, 07:26 PM

Default Seg visits at Pontiac

We will be making our first visit to our son in seg. Need to know what to expect, are visits through a vent in glass, or are there phones to talk through. Do you still need to by a locker for your stuff. are visits an hour long? Any info will be helpful
Old 12-11-2012, 09:05 PM

Sorry that I don't know the answers to your questions. I just wanted to add to make sure to bring two forms of ID and you can no longer use the social security card as one of those. Take a drivers license and birth certificate or passport as hour best bets. Also make sure to call ahead to get his correct visiting day. Have a safe trip!
Old 01-05-2013, 03:07 AM

Hi Everyone! I'm new here.I have a penpal incarcerated at Pontiac Correctional Center on Maximum Security.So far we have only been exchanging letters. I am not based in USA. Would like to find out what are the items that I can mail to my penpal? Such as writing materials, color pencils etc? I understand that there are many restrictions, I made a long distance call to 1 of the counsellor at the Center but she was the least helpful telling me everything is not allowed to be mailed there I do not want my mail to be rejected after travelling all the 10000 miles from where I am to end up having my penpal not receiving the items. Anyone can advice?

Thank You
Old 01-08-2013, 07:40 AM

Is Pontiac a State or Federal Prison? Anyone knows? Thank You
Old 01-08-2013, 07:57 AM

When sending items it is best to order from a vendor such as Amazon and have package shipped from Amazon to prison....it is best to check with the facility on what can be sent in....try looking at their web site to see if there is a list...I know colored pencils are out..calendars have to be stapled and not bound with wire...write to the inmate and ask them what you can send...photos can be mailed, but must not consist of nudity.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:40 PM

Thank You Marci59. Tried to search online as well as called them. Info are all over the place without proper accuracy. Guess the rules there change daily. Any idea if Pontiac is a Federal or State Prison?
Old 01-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,208 Times in 2,544 Posts

Pontiac is an Illinois State Facility.

Here is a link to their web page that may be helpful.

Pontiac Correctional Facility

Pontiac Medium Security Unit
Old 01-09-2013, 11:12 PM

Thank You Minimoose