Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know > California Prison Visitation - General Q&A
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison Visitation - General Q&A This forum is for general, nonspecific questions & discussions related to visitation in California facilities. If you have a question about or want to discuss visitation in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the California forum.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:14 PM
Still loving my hubby...

Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,199 Posts

I would call the visiting department at the prison and ask. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to ALWAYS HERE 4 M For This Useful Post:
FLYNN33 (01-31-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2014, 04:05 PM

Thanked 1,840 Times in 691 Posts

Call and ask the Visiting LT or Visiting Sgt for clarification.
The Following User Says Thank You to krc1abc1 For This Useful Post:
FLYNN33 (01-31-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 09:49 PM

Default Denial letter to visit at dvi tracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz93 View Post
Hi.. My boyfriend is in DVI tracy prison and today i got a letter from him saying i got denied on the visitation it says i have to appeal i dont know what to do all dizz is new for me can anybody help me in what to do plz!!!!
My daughter was sent a denial letter to visit her brother at DVI...she works for a school district and the letter said she had a criminal past...really??? My son sent her a new visitation form and seven months later it was granted and she had her first visit with her brother who is still in reception and waiting to be mainlined .....crazy
Old 02-07-2014, 04:21 PM
5'3 High And Rising
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,642 Times in 2,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by share View Post
My daughter was sent a denial letter to visit her brother at DVI...she works for a school district and the letter said she had a criminal past...really??? My son sent her a new visitation form and seven months later it was granted and she had her first visit with her brother who is still in reception and waiting to be mainlined .....crazy

Hello Share,

You should receive a letter shortly explaining in detail why you were denied. The little things get you denied for example your name and address not matching whats on your state id. Not filling out the form in it's entirety, unpaid traffic tickets, past arrest records not noted on the forms etc. Once you recieve your letter you should know in detail why you were denied. If you need any assistance you can always pm me. I hope this helps.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:22 PM

Default I got denied before turning in my Visiting Application...Help!

I have been visiting my husband for 5 years and at our last visit, I was given a form to fill out as an update/re-approval. I was told I could mail it back to the prison. Then, 2 days later, my husband was given a letter from the prison stating that I turned my form in and that my visits are denied because I am an ex-felon.

But I had not even turned the form in yet and I am not an ex-felon. I did get arrested about a year and a half ago but no charges were ever filed. My husband asked a C.O. about the how the arrest would effect my visits so I'm guessing the C.O. told someone in visiting or the warden???!!! The letter they gave him says I have to appeal it according to the Title 15 rules. Is this true? Would I be better off going directly to the CDCR to get re-approval? It seems like this prison is doing some shady ish! Any help would be really appreciated!

He gave me his name 2.26.2010

Old 02-23-2015, 10:50 PM

Thanked 1,722 Times in 908 Posts

If you didn't turn the form in yet?... Turn it in and make sure you put down the arrest and that charges were dropped or never filed. If you have been denied you should also get a letter and it usually will state what to do next. That's sorta strange? Because I thought they had to have your form and signature to run any background.
The Following User Says Thank You to AnarchyHeart For This Useful Post:
JCJP2009 (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJP2009 View Post
I have been visiting my husband for 5 years and at our last visit, I was given a form to fill out as an update/re-approval. I was told I could mail it back to the prison. Then, 2 days later, my husband was given a letter from the prison stating that I turned my form in and that my visits are denied because I am an ex-felon.

But I had not even turned the form in yet and I am not an ex-felon. I did get arrested about a year and a half ago but no charges were ever filed. My husband asked a C.O. about the how the arrest would effect my visits so I'm guessing the C.O. told someone in visiting or the warden???!!! The letter they gave him says I have to appeal it according to the Title 15 rules. Is this true? Would I be better off going directly to the CDCR to get re-approval? It seems like this prison is doing some shady ish! Any help would be really appreciated!
Something is very fishy with this. First of all they never disclose to the inmate the reason that you are denied visits. They only tell them that you were denied. They will send you a letter stating the reasons. I would submit the form for the update and see what happens and watch for a letter explaining. Disclose the arrest and supply any documentation that supports that no charges were filed. Make copies of everything and have him send you a copy of the document he received. If you have had no problems in visiting and it becomes necessary to file an appeal the warden may go ahead and approve you. Personally I would question what is going on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krc1abc1 For This Useful Post:
AnarchyHeart (02-24-2015), JCJP2009 (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 08:21 PM

Yes - they gave the denial letter to my husband. I thought the same - that they couldn't run a background without a signature. I agree - it is all very fishy!

I did call the prison today and asked to speak to the warden but was told that the warden's office doesn't take calls from the public because they are too busy - which is b.s. because I have been able to speak to the warden's office at another prison for a different reason. I was told I would have to talk to the visiting department so when I did, I was told that my background was run because my husband had asked a c.o. if me being arrested would dis-qualify me and then I also asked the same thing to another c.o. as I was leaving. So, based on asking a question, they took it upon themselves to run my background and deny me without me turning in the form. I was told I will have to go through an appeal process.

I never had to go to court and it's been about a year and 8 months. When I called the D.A.'s office, they said that they couldn't even find my arrest or any charges so I'm not sure what I can get to prove this. I feel like I need an attorney or something. The whole situation is very strange.

He gave me his name 2.26.2010

The Following User Says Thank You to JCJP2009 For This Useful Post:
DayandNight (05-18-2017)
Old 02-24-2015, 09:05 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,958 Times in 2,167 Posts

The issue may be that you have to disclose everything and they may have an issue with you already visiting and not disclosing an arrest, even if that was all it was. I know some people have been denied for not disclosing sealed juvenile arrests (so much for sealed).
I hope you get this worked out in your favor.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:10 AM

Default Visitation denied because my license is suspended

i got a disaproval letter from the prison friday because my licesne is suspended due to unpaid tickets. Is there any way around this or do I have to wait till I am done paying my tickets and get my licence back.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:15 AM

You might be able to set up a payment plan approved by the court and show that.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:34 AM

Thanked 11,109 Times in 6,008 Posts

The denial makes sense...the agency cannot presume that you would always have other transportation door to door and is not going to condone your commission of other illegal actions in order to visit (specifically driving with an invalid license). Courts typically have a payment plan but may be less likely to engage in them when one has let them go unpaid so long that the license was administratively suspended...
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Driver For Hire (02-18-2016)
Old 06-29-2015, 01:25 AM

Yes. I should've been more specific with my answer. The problem with unpaid tickets and suspended drivers license isn't always because you don't have one. But because you have pretty much a bench warrant. You signed for a ticket and didn't pay. Failure to comply. They are looking for any reason you don't follow the rules. Or they are just looking for any reason to deny. Sometimes it doesn't always make sense but it's the rules. Anything in the past they will probably find. Once you get it taken care of save all the paperwork and send it in.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:53 PM
5'3 High And Rising
Donation Award 

I beg to differ. CDCR duty is to ensure that the visitor do not pose a threat, or breach the security of the facilty and or state grounds. False Identfication, Trespassing, Assisting inmates escape, Introducing Contraband, Firearms to the facillity. As long as the visitor can identify themselves, no recent criminal felony history, no past extensive criminal history that would would be sensitive to the facilty should be the main reason for denial.I think they go overboard with denying visits due to a FTA/Suspened license. There can be many reasons for a failure to appear. You can go to a county facilty and visit present a sate ID and no problem

vikki084: More then likely you have a bench warrant. Go back to the courts and request that your Warrant is recalled. Ask the courts to put you on the calendar for further proceedings. They will recall your warrant, give you a abstract to give to the DMV to lift your suspension. I know in Los Angeles they discontiuned abstracts however the DMV should have it on record within 72 hours. Once you have the minutes from the courts stating that it has been recalled that tells CDCR that have appeared and that you are dealing with the issue and making efforts to take care of the suspension. You can PM me anytime should you have questions.
HisSoul (04-20-2016)
Old 07-21-2015, 03:27 AM

Default Visitation denied but not letter from Prison yet

Urgh! So infuriating. My visitation has been denied but I haven't recieved a letter from the Warden/Visiting Sgt. explaining why. The only reason I know is because my guy sent me the letter that they sent him notifying him of the disapproval.

Is there any way I can find out what the problem is? He doesn't seem too bothered and said don't sweat it because they like to play games, but I'm worried about what I did wrong so I can fix it. I'm hoping I just messed up something on the visiting form and it's nothing more serious like an old outstanding warrant or something because I'm not in the USA at the moment to deal with that kind of thing.

Urgh! He's been in seg for 2 years, I just wanna go visit.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:18 AM
Site Moderator

Thanked 23,485 Times in 8,274 Posts

My understanding is that the letter they gave him is the only letter generated around your denial. I know for approvals, they send a letter to the inmate and then it is their responsibility to inform their visitor. I would assume denials are the same. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

If you can, I would call the visiting sergeant and tell him you received the letter and you'd like to know the process for re-applying or appeal of your denial.

Is your LO at Corcoran?
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
littleun (07-22-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleun View Post
Urgh! So infuriating. My visitation has been denied but I haven't recieved a letter from the Warden/Visiting Sgt. explaining why. The only reason I know is because my guy sent me the letter that they sent him notifying him of the disapproval.

Is there any way I can find out what the problem is? He doesn't seem too bothered and said don't sweat it because they like to play games, but I'm worried about what I did wrong so I can fix it. I'm hoping I just messed up something on the visiting form and it's nothing more serious like an old outstanding warrant or something because I'm not in the USA at the moment to deal with that kind of thing.

Urgh! He's been in seg for 2 years, I just wanna go visit.
It is policy and procedure to notify you in writing as to why you are denied. Call the visiting sgt/LT and explain that you have not received the letter and would like to get s copy so that you can do what you can to be approved. Many times it is very simple to fix. Even N uncleared traffic ticket can result in a denial.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krc1abc1 For This Useful Post:
littleun (07-22-2015), miamac (07-21-2015), sidewalker (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 08:39 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,091 Times in 16,021 Posts

If I recall, they will send you a letter telling you why you were denied visitation.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
littleun (07-22-2015), miamac (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krc1abc1 View Post
It is policy and procedure to notify you in writing as to why you are denied. Call the visiting sgt/LT and explain that you have not received the letter and would like to get s copy so that you can do what you can to be approved. Many times it is very simple to fix. Even N uncleared traffic ticket can result in a denial.
Yes, this was my understanding. That I wouldn't be informed if I was approved, but I would be told in writing the reason why if I was disapproved. I'm just stressed that I already have my guys disapproval letter but not my own one. I'm going to wait a little while longer incase it's got delayed in the international mail, and if I haven't heard anything by next week then I'll get in touch with the visiting Sgt. It's just really infuriating not knowing why.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:29 PM

They send a letter to you. For security reasons they don't give that info to the one we are visiting. They send a more detailed letter to you along with ways to resolve it and what to do next.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:32 AM
5'3 High And Rising
Donation Award 

They will send your husband a denial notice however the reason as to why will not be shared. The official letter of denial will be sent to you with the reason for denial and what you need to do to clear it. It could be outstanding traffic tickets, FTA, FTP anything that have you connected with the courts you will have to clear or at least get a abstract that you are dealing with the issue. Be sure to fill out your 106 form in its entirety because they will deny you for that. If you have any past convictions no matter how long it was ago you have to include that otherwise they will deny you. I hope this helps.
AnarchyHeart (07-23-2015), littleun (07-24-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 07:25 PM

I even added the time I got arrested and all charges dropped, in case that comes up. Because I never was clear on the question. I think it asks any arrests ... Period. If they find you 'hid' or didn't include something like that they may question it. I always tell the story how I know someone with a drug charge from the late 60s, and even tho it was cleared up years ago she still has to get warden approvals from time to time. Crazy but... Just shows it could be something they want more info on even if it's cleared and over.
The Following User Says Thank You to AnarchyHeart For This Useful Post:
littleun (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 04:13 AM

Thanks guys. I'm not so concerned with whatever the problem is. It's either going to be fixable or not. I'm more concerned that I don't have the letter, so I don't know where to start on fixing the problem. It says on the one that my guy posted me that I was informed on 07/08/2015 but I haven't recieved the letter.

I think I was pretty comprihensive on prior arrests. I mean if I missed declaring anything it would've been a caution or a fine or something very small that I just forgot, but I don't think I missed anything. And all that would be here in Europe. I'm not sure how far they dig into your record in foreign countries. The only other possibility is I may have a warrent that I don't know about in Cali, but I don't know how to check that. I did background check myself on those websites online, and nothing come up.

I guess I'm just gonna have to wait it out. I usually get mail on a Tuesday, so I'll wait until this Tuesday coming, and if it's not here, I'll just have to write the Sgt. Urgh! Lol
The Following User Says Thank You to littleun For This Useful Post:
AnarchyHeart (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 06:25 PM
5'3 High And Rising
Donation Award 

No dont wait it out. If your loved one received his notification you should have yours as well. They are to provide you ‘written’ notification of denial. No if's and's or buts. CDCR visiting staff is well known for NOT knowing Title 15. They rarely follow the regulations and that is where you will nail them every time. It is vitally important that EVERY visitor know the visiting section of Title 15 inside out. There really isn’t that much to remember so read it and read it again until you know it by heart. It would be helpful for all to copy that section and keep it in your car when you go to visit. Wait until Tuesday mail delivery and if you dont have it then I would start with the visiting department SGT. If they are unable to answer your question take it to the associate warden.

Last edited by pj663; 07-24-2015 at 06:28 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pj663 For This Useful Post:
AnarchyHeart (07-24-2015), littleun (07-27-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj663 View Post
I beg to differ. CDCR duty is to ensure that the visitor do not pose a threat, or breach the security of the facilty and or state grounds. False Identfication, Trespassing, Assisting inmates escape, Introducing Contraband, Firearms to the facillity. As long as the visitor can identify themselves, no recent criminal felony history, no past extensive criminal history that would would be sensitive to the facilty should be the main reason for denial.I think they go overboard with denying visits due to a FTA/Suspened license. There can be many reasons for a failure to appear. You can go to a county facilty and visit present a sate ID and no problem

vikki084: More then likely you have a bench warrant. Go back to the courts and request that your Warrant is recalled. Ask the courts to put you on the calendar for further proceedings. They will recall your warrant, give you a abstract to give to the DMV to lift your suspension. I know in Los Angeles they discontiuned abstracts however the DMV should have it on record within 72 hours. Once you have the minutes from the courts stating that it has been recalled that tells CDCR that have appeared and that you are dealing with the issue and making efforts to take care of the suspension. You can PM me anytime should you have questions.
thank you... im going to take care of that as soon as i can, but if i had a bench warrnant wouldnt it have shown up when i went to visit in county?