Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:12 AM

Arrow Interstate transfer from prison

He was denied parole a couple months ago so he is past his minimum at this point. So my question is, when will they start his interstate transfer since this will be the second time he is seeing parole? Will they start the paperwork before he sees parole for the 2nd time or not until after he sees parole?? How long will the interstate transfer process take from the time they start it??
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi86 View Post
He was denied parole a couple months ago so he is past his minimum at this point. So my question is, when will they start his interstate transfer since this will be the second time he is seeing parole? Will they start the paperwork before he sees parole for the 2nd time or not until after he sees parole?? How long will the interstate transfer process take from the time they start it??
Home plans are normally not investigated until the inmate at least has his hearing. Then the plan can be investigated any time after that and an answer could come back before the green sheet is issued. Most times in PA a home plan will not be investigated if the board is leaning more towards "denied" even if the green sheet has not been issued yet.

In the case of an inter-state transfer I would highly doubt that they would start any process of investigating it until they have a better idea of what the outcome of his hearing will be and even more unlikely it would not be initiated before the hearing itself. The only thing is too that the receiving state must agree to take the parolee. This means the inmate can be granted parole, PA will start the process for interstate but then the receiving state can deny the parolee to parole to their state. So even more unlikely that a receiving state will even entertain the thought of whether they will accept a new parolee from PA even before they had their hearing. With logic applied I would have to say he would have had to have his hearing at least and then the process could begin.

Interstate can take anywhere from 2 to 4 months to approval/denial. It is a long procedure and it involves both states working together. As far as I know there is a fee that much be paid by the inmate (or his family/LO etc) of $100 for this. The last I heard and it probably still is non-refundable if the home plan is denied. So in this case it would behoove the family/inmate to hold off until they have a better idea of the outcome of the hearing. Home plans for instate parole takes far less time (average a month but that is not the fact that they much have it done by then because there is no time limit).

But again I don't see it making any sense for the process to begin for an interstate parole before the hearing even takes place.