Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Pennsylvania that do not fit into any other Pennsylvania sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-21-2017, 09:43 PM
SouthrnSunshine's Avatar
SouthrnSunshine SouthrnSunshine is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Dayton, OH USA
Posts: 28
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Housing while on parole

Hello!
So i honestly didnt know where else to turn, so here i am. My finace is nearing his minimum of a 6-12 year state sentence. My landlord, unfortunately is not keen on the idea of having a felon on the lease....yet he dosnt do background checks or credit approvals upon move in, i asked about adding him to the lease and told him he wowould be on parole, because my fiance told me that they would need written consent in addition to a signed lease. So now, here i am, housing plans all in shambles and hes literally days away from seeing preparole. Im not sure where to go or what options to try and find a place that would allow him to rent, ontop of the fact that i have bad credit.

Has anybody ever been in or made it thru this situation??? Im in the process of trying to negotiate with my landlord, and come to some agreement, but im honestly feeling so defeated right now. I feel like i let him down, and my kids. I dont know what options there are besides going out and buying a house....if only it was that easy😣😣😣.

Advice? Direction? Suggestions? Opinions? Anything! Please. Help!

For the record i am in the pittsburgh area of pa. Allegheny county to be specific, thw east side of Pittsburgh area
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 08-22-2017, 02:52 AM
waitinguntil001 waitinguntil001 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 486
Thanks: 212
Thanked 267 Times in 177 Posts
Default

After I wrote the below response I checked your other posts. On Jan 2015 you posted about "Penitentiary, McCreary" which is a federal institution. Although he may not be there now is he in the federal system or the PA DOC system? There is a big difference between the two. If he is in the federal system what I said below does not apply to him. PA DOC and federal are totally different even though he may be in a federal institution in PA.

In your post here you state
Quote:
My finace is nearing his minimum of a 6-12 year state sentence
. Is he state or federal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthrnSunshine View Post
Hello!
So i honestly didnt know where else to turn, so here i am. My finace is nearing his minimum of a 6-12 year state sentence. My landlord, unfortunately is not keen on the idea of having a felon on the lease....yet he dosnt do background checks or credit approvals upon move in, i asked about adding him to the lease and told him he wowould be on parole, because my fiance told me that they would need written consent in addition to a signed lease. So now, here i am, housing plans all in shambles and hes literally days away from seeing preparole. Im not sure where to go or what options to try and find a place that would allow him to rent, ontop of the fact that i have bad credit.

Has anybody ever been in or made it thru this situation??? Im in the process of trying to negotiate with my landlord, and come to some agreement, but im honestly feeling so defeated right now. I feel like i let him down, and my kids. I dont know what options there are besides going out and buying a house....if only it was that easy������.

Advice? Direction? Suggestions? Opinions? Anything! Please. Help!

For the record i am in the pittsburgh area of pa. Allegheny county to be specific, thw east side of Pittsburgh area
That is correct that a field agent investigating a "home plan" which involves a landlord (since you don't own the home/apart) will for sure seek the approval of the landlord besides the fact of adding him to the lease.

As far as "pre-parole". It is not imperative that he have a home plan all lined up when seeing pre-parole. Many inmates are in the process of looking for a suitable home plan at that stage. Even when before the hearing examiner it won't kill his chances of parole. Sure, it helps but it won't kill his chances of being paroled for that one fact alone. Meaning if the examiner asks him what his plans are for a home plan and he says that his fiance is working on it that will not be an instant ticket to "denied" for parole. The parole board takes into consideration far more than just that one fact.

What you may want to try is finding a room for him to rent in a boarding house. Many of those types of living situations are used by new parolees and many of those types of boarding houses are owned by individuals and not managed by a company for the owners. Try Craigs List "rooms for rent". It may cost more than him living with you but even if it is for just the minimum of 6 months it could be stepping stone at least for him. Some may even have month to month or 6 month leases but check. Boarding houses are not that bad. Each renter has their private room but then share the rest of the house with other renters. After being in a small cell with another person I am sure to him that would not be an issue for privacy. The rent at one of these usually includes everything; elec, heat, water, cable for a flat monthly fee. Even look for "furnished rooms for rent". This way you don't have to worry about renting him furniture.

But be darn sure where ever you rent him a place or find him a home plan you make it a point not to go outside of Penn to Ohio since you are close to the boarder. That would require an "interstate" and that gets expensive and complicated and takes far more time for approval/denial. Stay within PA.

Other than that I really don't have much more to offer you. Sorry.

Last edited by waitinguntil001; 08-22-2017 at 03:02 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-22-2017, 06:03 AM
SouthrnSunshine's Avatar
SouthrnSunshine SouthrnSunshine is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Dayton, OH USA
Posts: 28
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

This is my cousins account. My fiance is state, her husband is federal i think. But thanks for the feedback!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-22-2017, 11:28 AM
patchouli's Avatar
patchouli patchouli is offline
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 43,132
Thanks: 43,932
Thanked 36,646 Times in 16,905 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthrnSunshine View Post
This is my cousins account. My fiance is state, her husband is federal i think. But thanks for the feedback!
Per PTO policy, please do not use someone else's account. If you need information / support, you are more than welcome to create your own account (Free!):

Quote:
Members should not allow another person to access their account.
__________________
prisontalkhelp@gmail.com

patchouli, PTO Admin



Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
waitinguntil001 (08-22-2017)
  #5  
Old 08-22-2017, 04:29 PM
waitinguntil001 waitinguntil001 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 486
Thanks: 212
Thanked 267 Times in 177 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Per PTO policy, please do not use someone else's account. If you need information / support, you are more than welcome to create your own account (Free!):

And one of the other reasons why you should not use another one's account is because of the confusion it causes, such as in my post. Also you may not get accurate information along with that.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
home plan, housing, parole, release, rent

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Housing while on Parole? Mypast? Probation, Parole & Supervision 3 02-16-2013 08:34 PM
Housing for parole arroyo44 California Parole, Probation & Release 5 12-21-2011 10:41 AM
Parole and Housing IDMartina Probation, Parole & Supervision 5 03-28-2009 10:24 AM
Parole to OK housing?? MissMyBaby123 New York Parole, Probation, Work Release & Release 0 08-01-2007 10:27 AM
Housing and Parole in NH DragonflyNH NEW HAMPSHIRE Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions 10 06-28-2007 08:47 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:26 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2019 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics