Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release & community service in the State of Texas should be posted here. Also found here is information in creating Parole Packets, discussion of Parole Attorneys, etc.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:57 PM

Question Halfway house- Dallas Abode

Looking for some info on how certain things work at a halfway house.. info from anywhere is helpful just to get some general insight, but especially for specific hwh Abode in Dallas.

1. Is there anyway for them to get released to home early? How?
2. How often are they allowed visits?
3. Are they able to make calls?

Any other info one may have is good too
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2019, 07:54 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

Thanked 6,292 Times in 1,695 Posts

I don't think so on the early release. You're there for 3 months. Maybe you can get out a day or two early...something like that, but if you're weren't approved to go home before you left TDCJ then, as a general rule you're there for 90 days.

You can visit on the weekends and.....on Wednesdays? I can't remember. I went thru the VOA in Ft Worth 3 years ago, but I think SAFPT aftercare is the same in all of the facilities (watch me be wrong about that one)

Yes they can make calls. You're not supposed to have a cell phone in there, but then again you're not allowed to smoke on the premises. However, those two stipulations are grossly disobeyed and massacred on a daily basis.

Sorry for the late reply
fbopnomore (07-31-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenF View Post
Looking for some info on how certain things work at a halfway house.. info from anywhere is helpful just to get some general insight, but especially for specific hwh Abode in Dallas.

1. Is there anyway for them to get released to home early? How?
2. How often are they allowed visits?
3. Are they able to make calls?

Any other info one may have is good too
I just left the Abode Dallas in June.

1: They can be if there Parole officer lets them out early. Most people there will have one of two parole officers there out of the Dallas IV parole office- Searl and Washingtong. You get Washington if you have an ankle monitor. They might let you out up to a week early, but dont count on it. I did my full 60 days.

The halfway house right now is 60 days, unless youve been through a program before (SAFP counts), in that case it is 90.

3: You can have a visit every weekend. If you are "job searching" meaning looking for a job, then you get 24hr passes on the weekends, that you can split into two 12 hour passes saturday and sunday if you desire. If you get a job and pay the 25% then you can have 48hr passes on the weekend. You arent supposed to leave the county, though.

3: Yes, they can make calls there. They have payphones. I would suggest buying a $5 Rodeo phone card and sending that with some clothes so that it arrives when he arrives. Without the card the calls are $1 for 5 minutes. With the card they are 50 cents for 15 minutes. Those phones will eat you alive. Half the people in there smuggle in cellphones, honestly.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwik00z28 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-16-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 11:07 AM

Guess I’m dumb.......What is a Rodeo phone card and where would I get one? They are approved for use?
Old 08-17-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx18 View Post
Guess Im dumb.......What is a Rodeo phone card and where would I get one? They are approved for use?
They sell them at gas stations, mostly in lower income areas. Itll save on the payphones. Not every halfway house has the same types of phones. I gave this advice to a friend who just got out 2 days ago to the Ft Worth Abode, and they have phones like the jail/prison with accounts. The phones at the Dallas Abode were tradition payphones that took change. Check with the halfway house first. And yes they allowed them.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwik00z28 For This Useful Post:
satx18 (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 11:31 AM

Thank you! He just had his vote, so this is down the road.....maybe. Just trying to see what may happen and how we need to prepare. Will definitely check with the location first, if that is in his future.

Thank you for your help!