Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:12 PM

Default Warrant closed but he's still in prison?

My son is suppose to be released Sept 2018. But parole told me his warrant was closed and that date ( which shows on TDCJ page) is wrong and not updated and he should be released. He had no idea of any of this. Also, when he leaves TDCJ, Navarro County is to pick him up on a no-show warrant ( for a charge that was suppose to run concurrant with Brazos county a few months ago ). He finished his time in Brazos and went to Travis prison because Navarro didn't pick him up. Travis got him because he had a violation on parole. so, He was in jail already when the supposed court took place for Navarro. He never stepped foot in Navarro or went to court or anything. So how can he be No-Show for court and have a warrant? I am not understanding and cant seem to talk to the right person for correct info. Not sure if I'm making sense here so please feel free to ask questions. I really do want to understand. And thank you !
The Following User Says Thank You to Tooee For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (10-08-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2018, 08:21 PM

Thanked 11,099 Times in 6,007 Posts

If he had a court date and was not there, then he failed to appear. It matters not that he was in custody elsewhere. He had an obligation to take steps to notify the bondsman or the Court of his custodial status, or alternately, to have had his attorney take those steps.

Dates on the TDCJ website have nothing to do with when a warrant is 'closed.' Simply put, a warrant is executed by arrest, at which time it is cleared from the active warrant status in TCIC/NCIC (or any other database in which it is maintained). Time credit is awarded by the Court and THAT is what the TDCJ dates are calculated from...

Quite honestly, he is taking advantage of your naivete about the criminal justice system and feeding you a load of crap.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:40 PM

Thank you for your response so quickly. Actually, the information didn't come from him. I talked to parole myself after they contact ME last Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. concerning him being released to my home. And that's where I got my information. But as for the Navarro County warrant for not appearing, he does have a letter showing that Navarro was contacted by Brazos County and his lawyer about where he was so they can pick him up when he finished his 8 months in Brazos. So he thought they knew so it was all good. I have a copy of what everyone has. That's why I'm surprised about the warrant since they received the written information about where he was currently incarcerated. Can you explain to me please how he can even have a warrant when he wasn't even picked up by Navarro yet, not arrested by them, nothing. So how can there be a court date? No one even knew about a court date. I asked Navarro more questions about the warrant and the charges they supposedly want him for, but they could not answer me. They told me to call and question the court. I just remembered something: When I was talking to parole about the date on TDCJ website and parole saying it was wrong, they said that the warrant was closed and not even showing anymore. It's all kind of crazy to me. When I told my son all this he asked me if that was a blue warrant. I have no clue. He does not have an attorney currently until he gets to Navarro. Did I confuse you thoroughly? I'm very sorry if I have.