Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Michigan prison Visitation, Phones & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's sub-forum category.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:09 PM

Default JPay Email Questions

Hi all, Please move my thread if needed. I just want to get some clarification on some things. My friend is in Cotton back on a PV for failing to report and absconding a bunch of times because he's a idiot. Anyways we dated, we broke up for various reasons pretty much because he was choosing a path of life I didn't agree with. Fast Frwd 8 yrs.. I look him up and decide to write him snail mail and he wrote me back and told me about Jaypay... I sent him money Thurs 1030pm my time.. I currently live in Ky When does it post to his account? Second question I've wrote 2 emails one Thurs night and one yesterday, when can he see them. Also how are they aware they have email ? What is the time limit Im not sure he's a fast typer lol...Did I have to do anything so he can write me back?? I completely understand if it's easier for him to write snail mail back but I so would rather email since it's so much easier...Just trying to be a supportive friend and all.

Thanks so much for your time.
Lil Sis
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2016, 07:29 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,992 Times in 14,724 Posts

Sometimes My Mr gets his jpay the same day, especially if there is no attachment. Sometimes he gets it the next day, depending on what time send it. He usually gets any money I send on the next business day.

My Mr doesn't type, he pecks and they only have 15 minutes to read, type and send a reply.

How long has your friend been in? Seems like it took several days before My Mr got his pin# (or password, or whatever it is they have to have to log in) for jpay.

I don't believe they can buy stamps for jpay, I think you have to send them stamps through the jpay site, but I'm not exactly sure about that

Welcome to PTO

Old 10-17-2016, 07:40 PM

I wondered if I had to do anything as far as I could tell I didn't need to...Lol I tried to do research but it's been a minute since I've had to deal with all this. I was here before when we were together.. As far as your question how long in and out since we ended things he's not violent just stubborn and a idiot.. They finally got tired of him absconding and sent him back...I'm hoping to be some kind of advocate for him because him mom disowned him and his sister did too...So I'll try my best and make things a bit easier from 9hrs away
Old 10-17-2016, 07:50 PM

Thanked 2,617 Times in 1,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSis08 View Post
Hi all, Please move my thread if needed. I just want to get some clarification on some things. My friend is in Cotton back on a PV for failing to report and absconding a bunch of times because he's a idiot. Anyways we dated, we broke up for various reasons pretty much because he was choosing a path of life I didn't agree with. Fast Frwd 8 yrs.. I look him up and decide to write him snail mail and he wrote me back and told me about Jaypay... I sent him money Thurs 1030pm my time.. I currently live in Ky When does it post to his account? Second question I've wrote 2 emails one Thurs night and one yesterday, when can he see them. Also how are they aware they have email ? What is the time limit Im not sure he's a fast typer lol...Did I have to do anything so he can write me back?? I completely understand if it's easier for him to write snail mail back but I so would rather email since it's so much easier...Just trying to be a supportive friend and all.

Thanks so much for your time.
Lil Sis
Ok if you sent money Thursday it would of been there by today if not Friday. All he has to do is log into the kiosk and it will show him how much money he has. The email you sent Thursday would of showed by Friday. The one you sent Sunday would of shown up today. Sometimes if you send them early on a weekday they will show up the same day. It really depends on how fast the facility is. They have to log into the kiosk to know they have an email. And they generally have a time limit to use the kiosk my husband said he gets like 10 minutes or so. In order for him to write back he has to purchase stamps and he can also do that by logging into jpay. They used to let you send stamps through jpay but they dont do that anymore. Hope this helps
Old 10-17-2016, 07:55 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,992 Times in 14,724 Posts

Quote:
They used to let you send stamps through jpay but they dont do that anymore.
Must be a state to state thing...I still have the "Transfer Stamps" link on jpay.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:58 PM

I guess because I wrote him then he wrote me back and I just did the JPay thing without telling him I'm wondering if he even knows...Hmm one ponders if I should send a letter snail mail to tell him lol
Old 10-17-2016, 08:22 PM

Yes I think It is a state to state difference. I still have the option on my phone but when I go to write the letter it disappears I called and they said that option is no longer available. I'm not sure when they changed it but I hate it because my husband is on a fixed deposit so he has to spend his money to write back. If they only knew they would make so much more money letting us buy the stamps instead of them. And yes I would write him just in case but I guarantee if he speaks to anyone they will show him how to do things and will show him the jpay machine. From what you've said this seems like it's not his first time in so I'm sure he knows the routine.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:30 PM

I think I will and tell him it's up to him if he wants to write back snail mail or email but I'll probably write emails since it's easier and it's a app on.my phone lol..
Old 10-17-2016, 08:33 PM

Yeah my husband and I email back and fourth he will write then I write. I used to write several a day and he didn't have time to read them all so I slowed way down and we agreed to do the back and fourth thing. I write snail mail every single day and he writes once every two weeks and that works for us.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:47 PM

I write numerous people on jpay. The service is just a conduit and they have a contract with the particular prison he's being housed in. So it's actually the prison making the decisions. Different prisons have different things they can access. They also have different time amounts for when the email gets received.

Jpay sends the emails immediately to the prison. The time wait has to do with the prison reading/scanning them. Some prisons do it with great scrutiny, some do not. Then it's still at various times in the prison having to do with all types of situations. For instance if they have a lot to read etc. I've had them get to the person within minutes, and then later with the same person take an entire week, although usually it's somewhere in between. After you write a dozen or so times you'll get to know what's "average" for that prison, and then ride the wave if it's longer or shorter.

Same goes with the funds. It depends on how long it takes the prison to process it.

As for his use, you should ask him. Some prisons only print out the email and give it to them (then they must return with handwritten snail mail). Others provide a kiosk with a time limit (all of the people I write with kiosks are allowed 15 minute sessions, to read and write them). They may get numerous sessions a day they can access the kiosk, depending on the prison. Some of them complain they have to wait in line or that inmates will monopolize them, etc. If they only get these 15 minute sessions, I usually write 1-2 page emails and if anything is longer I send it snail mail (so they have the time to actually read it).

ALSO some inmates can purchase a little handheld device where they can read and type emails at leisure (they use it like texting). They can take as long as they want while lounging around in their cell or wherever, then download the email onto the kiosk (during a session) and send it away to you. Whether the prison has the device/tablet available is up to the prison.

Some prisons also allow you to buy/transfer electronic stamps or music credits (they can load mp3 music onto those little handheld devices). Stamp prices vary by state. I don't know if the music prices change as they come from one big electronic library, but I know that they seem really overpriced, but the inmates LOVE their music imo and it's a big outlet for them). Some prisons also have video visits on the kiosks, but usually you have to be qualified on their visitor's list (visiting rules can also be prison specific). If any of these things are available they'll be listed on the jpay page when you are signed in for him. If not, it's not available to him.

Also some prison kiosks have a camera in them so the inmate can take a photo of themselves and include it with the email. That won't be on the jpay page as it's on their side - you'll just start getting grainy pictures of your goofily smiling inmate.

Hope I didn't confuse you further. Ask him these things and he'll be able to tell you how jpay works in HIS prison.

Last edited by TawnyStar; 10-17-2016 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: -
Old 10-17-2016, 09:06 PM

oh yes one more thing. I've noticed that they get super short letters first - before one with lengthy paragraphs. This means if you write a 2 page letter, then a quick 2 sentence addition, they're likely to get the 2 sentence email a day or two before the letter haha. This can make for funny confusions! I'm assuming they pass the easy reads through quickly and then the longer reads have to stand in line? idk

To note, a useful application for this is the letter that simply states "call me". Friends I know use this when they need them to call for something important bc the prison usually passes it pretty quickly through (due to its shortness). Hope this all helps
Old 10-17-2016, 09:58 PM

Michigan prisons are all the same and my husband has been to where her LO is. There is no jpay player so you can't buy music and there are no video visit either we don't have that yet. All we get is emails and they may get more then one session but with hundreds of men waiting they may not. There are no hand held devices to purchase either. I wish because this would be so much easier. If you have any other questions you can PM me.