Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Arizona.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:13 AM

Default Any info on Yuma, Cheyenne unit?

Can anyone give me info regarding the Cheyenne unit, Yuma doc? My son was just placed there over the weekend from Alhambra. Any info wish be appreciated. Thank you everyone
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2017, 10:26 AM

Here is some information regarding the gate/visitation regarding the gate and what to expect.

Visitation:

People start lining up usually around 7am (a few seem to come earlier) You line up on the side of the road in front of the prison until they wave you up to the gate typically around 7:30am. This allows the guards coming on shift to be able to drive down the road without the cars that have lined up blocking their entry. The guard at the gate will request your ID, and ask for information pertaining to your LO- name, yard and ADOC #. You will park in the designated parking lot and then go line up to get "sniffed" by the dogs. Once you have been "sniffed" you will walk to where the vans are. You will take a van to the yard. You can only drive your car if you have a handicap placard. If you have a handicap placard- they will search your car prior to you being able to drive to the yard. If you take the van, the driver will ask you what yard you are going to and drive you. Visitation is in blocks and the amount of time you are able to visit is based on his Phase level. Blocks are 8-12 and 12-4. Make sure you review the dress code. Some of the guards are very by the book and will send you back to change if you are not dressed to their standard.

Once you get to the yard- you turn in your visitation form, key, and ID. They will then search your clear bag with your quarters, etc. and you will have to go through the metal detector. Once you clear through this you will be able to go to the visitation area to see your LO. You will need to wait for him until he has been called and has also been searched.

Yuma I found was one of the most stringent yards regarding dress code.
Make sure that your shirt covers your collarbone, and that you have reviewed all the dress code information. They will send you home if you do not meet the criteria.

Hope this helps!!! We were in Yuma almost 3 year it has been a little while since we were there but highly doubt much has changed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uRmylife For This Useful Post:
bluiiz67 (12-04-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uRmylife View Post
Here is some information regarding the gate/visitation regarding the gate and what to expect.

Visitation:

People start lining up usually around 7am (a few seem to come earlier) You line up on the side of the road in front of the prison until they wave you up to the gate typically around 7:30am. This allows the guards coming on shift to be able to drive down the road without the cars that have lined up blocking their entry. The guard at the gate will request your ID, and ask for information pertaining to your LO- name, yard and ADOC #. You will park in the designated parking lot and then go line up to get "sniffed" by the dogs. Once you have been "sniffed" you will walk to where the vans are. You will take a van to the yard. You can only drive your car if you have a handicap placard. If you have a handicap placard- they will search your car prior to you being able to drive to the yard. If you take the van, the driver will ask you what yard you are going to and drive you. Visitation is in blocks and the amount of time you are able to visit is based on his Phase level. Blocks are 8-12 and 12-4. Make sure you review the dress code. Some of the guards are very by the book and will send you back to change if you are not dressed to their standard.

Once you get to the yard- you turn in your visitation form, key, and ID. They will then search your clear bag with your quarters, etc. and you will have to go through the metal detector. Once you clear through this you will be able to go to the visitation area to see your LO. You will need to wait for him until he has been called and has also been searched.

Yuma I found was one of the most stringent yards regarding dress code.
Make sure that your shirt covers your collarbone, and that you have reviewed all the dress code information. They will send you home if you do not meet the criteria.

Hope this helps!!! We were in Yuma almost 3 year it has been a little while since we were there but highly doubt much has changed.
Thank u. I'm so sad cause I won't be approved for visits because I'm on probation. Can u tell me about the unit? Is it a " bad " unit? Problems? I'm scared, this is my" baby". I'm sure other mother's can relate. Thank you so much for your help
Old 12-04-2017, 11:08 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,983 Times in 1,742 Posts

When I think about "bad" yards in AZ Cheyenne isn't really one that comes to mind. It's HOT in the summer but it's easy to mind your own business and do your time there. But like every prison, if you're looking for trouble/drugs/gangs you can definitely find it. I've known many people who were on Cheyenne for years and years and never had a problem or gotten into trouble. I wouldn't say it's a "bad" yard.
bluiiz67 (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
When I think about "bad" yards in AZ Cheyenne isn't really one that comes to mind. It's HOT in the summer but it's easy to mind your own business and do your time there. But like every prison, if you're looking for trouble/drugs/gangs you can definitely find it. I've known many people who were on Cheyenne for years and years and never had a problem or gotten into trouble. I wouldn't say it's a "bad" yard.
Do you know what it's like there as far as how is set up? Like are they in dorm style setting, is it an integrated yard? Is there programs for them to participate in etc. Also, do they do a background check just to receive phone calls? Thank you again for your help, I really appreciate it!
Old 12-04-2017, 11:53 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

It is not an integrated yard at this time. It will be integrating in the future. It's a dorm setting.

Yes, they do checks for calls as well.
https://corrections.az.gov/sites/def...e_10-16-14.pdf
Quote:
915.02 PERSONAL CALLS
1.1 The only individuals authorized as recipients of inmate phone calls shall be the approved
individuals on the Visitation List, Form 911-1.
1.1.1 Telephone calls are limited to the same individuals (maximum of twenty) approved
for visitation.
1.1.2 Only one list per inmate is permitted.
1.1.3 When the list has been processed, it shall be maintained in the inmate's visitation
file.
1.1.4 Criminal history and warrant checks shall be performed consistent with Department
Order #911, Inmate Visitation.
bluiiz67 (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 12:11 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

They will have some programs. Availability depends on volunteers and staff availability. You can see some of them listed here https://corrections.az.gov/location/99/yuma
bluiiz67 (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 07:33 PM

I'm sorry, one more question. Would you know if the the PO box for that unit 8909 or 8939? I'm getting two different answers. Thank you
Old 12-04-2017, 07:47 PM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluiiz67 View Post
I'm sorry, one more question. Would you know if the the PO box for that unit 8909 or 8939? I'm getting two different answers. Thank you
It's 8909.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IzzyLouWho For This Useful Post:
bluiiz67 (12-04-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (12-05-2017)