Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Arizona.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:45 AM

Default Transferred to whetstone

Does anyone have any info on this unit? Is it minimum security? Also has anyone heard of them transferring out because of illness and then returning to previous facility when better/not contagious?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjz1234 View Post
Does anyone have any info on this unit? Is it minimum security? Also has anyone heard of them transferring out because of illness and then returning to previous facility when better/not contagious?
Hello-

We are currently at Whetstone. It is a 2 yard (MIN) but is not classified as a medical yard (even though there are individuals with medical/medical needs i.e. wheelchair bound/walkers etc.)

Visitation can get busy on the weekend. I was actually required to leave recently since I was one of the 1st ones in and when they reach capacity- 1st in is 1st to leave. Make sure you adhere to the dress code when visiting.

Phones are outside and not in the buildings- so if they are on lockdown unfortunately you will not receive any calls.

Hope this helps a bit. Best wishes!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uRmylife For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (12-19-2017), Kjz1234 (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 11:25 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,983 Times in 1,742 Posts

In addition to the great info given above:

Tucson visitation is very serious about dress code and about clearing the metal detectors. You will not be given a chance to go to your vehicle and change and your visits may be suspended so be very cautious of this.

Quote:
Visitors may be subject to clear the magneto poles in addition to clearing the walk-through metal detectors. Should a visitor not clear, they will return to their car and shall be prohibited from visiting for 60 days and an additional 180 days of non-contact visitation. For a second offense, there will be a permanent loss of visitation privileges.
If a visitor cannot be cleared by the metal detector/magneto poles for some reason (i.e. medical) then the visitor shall only be cleared for non-contact visitation.
Visitation seating may be assigned to ensure closer monitoring of a visit by staff.
Kjz1234 (12-19-2017), uRmylife (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 11:31 AM

Thank you guys for your replies! The visitation info helps but unfortunately i can’t visit as he had those taken away. I’m more so wondering if this is his “new home” or if his dad heard him right and he’s only at whetstone until he isn’t contagious? It just doesn’t make sense to me that he would only be transferred because he’s sick and put these new inmates at risk for getting whatever it is- but again I’m new to this and don’t know all the guidelines.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:34 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

That does seem very strange. The only thing I can think of is that he needed to be moved to a unit that had the medical capabilities to treat whatever it is he's dealing with. Sorry I don't have a solid answer, I've never heard of them moving someone because they are sick...unless it's for treatment for something like hep c or cancer or something beyond the capabilities of the yard medical staff.
Kjz1234 (12-19-2017)
Old 04-18-2018, 11:49 PM

Asking for a friend. What do the magneto poles sense for? Is it a metal detector or something else?
Old 04-19-2018, 05:17 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleysGirl View Post
Asking for a friend. What do the magneto poles sense for? Is it a metal detector or something else?
It's like a super metal detector. I believe it's meant to look for cell phone components but it picks up dental/ortho work, buttons on jeans, medical implants. If you can't clear they can suspend your visits upon review by the deputy warden.
CharleysGirl (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 11:16 AM

Ok thank you
Old 05-06-2018, 12:22 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,212 Times in 468 Posts
Default Whetstone Magneto Poles and Visitation

I wore a bra with no hooks, adjustments or fastners, which was required at Kingman for me to get thru their metal detector. I wore a t-shirt and regular jean capris - so there was a zipper and button on the front. My usual sneakers. No problems with the pole. You do need to take off all your metal - earrings, watch, and I even took of my glasses, just to be safe. Passed it with no beeps. I didn't notice if women took of their wedding rings or if they passed without issue.

Another women had jewelry which may have been metal or metal colored plastic - she didn't know - and she kept setting it off. Ended up it was her sandals - metal in the soles. They checked them with the handheld and then let her in.

The pole was outdoors, after completing the typical visit form.