Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:33 AM

Post Help! Boyfriend was sentenced to 12 years.

Hi, I am desperately seeking some insight as to what possibilities my boyfriend may have in regards to possibly getting any credits towards his time. He got sentenced to 12 years with 85% due to his prior strike not being stricken, which resulted in his 2 year sentence being doubled, along with 3 years for Great Bodily Injury and lastly a 5 year enhancement due to the new crime being considered a "serious" felony.
I just got off the phone with him and he stated there is some kind of credit being issued to inmates with more than 10 years to serve having 3 years automatically reduced due to the over population. Can someone please clarify if this is true, or please provide me with any credits offered to violent offenders?
Thank you, I truly appreciate any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2015, 05:30 AM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 19,236 Times in 7,459 Posts

Hello and Welcome to PTO! I moved your post here to the California forums where you will probably get more answers to your question than where you had it posted. Good Luck!!

Old 12-01-2015, 12:33 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monique83 View Post
Hi, I am desperately seeking some insight as to what possibilities my boyfriend may have in regards to possibly getting any credits towards his time. He got sentenced to 12 years with 85% due to his prior strike not being stricken, which resulted in his 2 year sentence being doubled, along with 3 years for Great Bodily Injury and lastly a 5 year enhancement due to the new crime being considered a "serious" felony.
I just got off the phone with him and he stated there is some kind of credit being issued to inmates with more than 10 years to serve having 3 years automatically reduced due to the over population. Can someone please clarify if this is true, or please provide me with any credits offered to violent offenders?
Thank you, I truly appreciate any feedback.
There are and will be many rumors. At this point in time (and hopefully it will change because my husband is one of them) they can ONLY receive UP to 15% off for good time. Meaning he will only get just under 2 years knocked off. Hopefully this will change. It almost changed in May of 2013 or 2014 (can't remember) when the judges made a recommendation to include VO's in credit earning increase along with the others (for population issues) but it did NOT happen. The laws are changing slowly but surely though.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:47 PM

Thank you for your response.
Do you know if there are any websites or anything that can help me locate the new proposals that should/may be implemented by February 2016? I have read some articles stating there are some changes in regards to violent offenders having the ability to serve their time at fire camps but nothing is solid as of yet.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybeth View Post
There are and will be many rumors. At this point in time (and hopefully it will change because my husband is one of them) they can ONLY receive UP to 15% off for good time. Meaning he will only get just under 2 years knocked off. Hopefully this will change. It almost changed in May of 2013 or 2014 (can't remember) when the judges made a recommendation to include VO's in credit earning increase along with the others (for population issues) but it did NOT happen. The laws are changing slowly but surely though.

Do you know if there are any websites or anything that can help me locate the new proposals that should/may be implemented by February 2016? I have read some articles stating there are some changes in regards to violent offenders having the ability to serve their time at fire camps but nothing is solid as of yet.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:07 AM

Thanked 1,722 Times in 908 Posts

You can go on CDCr's website. They have a blogspot/news articles post everyday from different newspapers. They also have all the info from the court order (under 3 judge court orders) tab. It's a start.
Also he may qualify for firecamp, regardless of what they say in the news. Have him go thru his counselor for that. But the only ones who qualify for the firecamp credits are ones who qualify for 50% credit. So second strike and violent offenders don't get any extra time credits. But there are other perks.
The Following User Says Thank You to AnarchyHeart For This Useful Post:
Monique83 (12-02-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 01:39 PM

Thanked 2,620 Times in 1,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monique83 View Post
There are no current proposals. changes would have to be made through the legislature and as far as I know there are no proposed or pending changes to the 15%