Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment w/a Criminal Record
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Employment w/a Criminal Record Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:31 PM

Default felon friendly states?

I heard Hawaii does not allow employers to use criminal records in hiring decisions. Is this true? I got a felony theft conviction back in 2000 in Texas and cannot find a job at all. This sucks because I went to college and even got my mba, but now I can't have a job due to my record. If I move to Hawaii, will it be like I don't have a record (for corporate jobs)? If no felon friendly states, what about moving out of the country? I heard that Sweden takes anybody regardless of their criminal records and you can get a job over there no matter what you did-is that true?
The Following User Says Thank You to nosecondchance For This Useful Post:
whiz-bang (04-22-2008)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Forever His ♥
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,256 Times in 2,011 Posts

Arizona is a friendly felon state, and the State of Arizona does hire ex-cons.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Alferd Packer fan

Thanked 1,033 Times in 597 Posts

Technically Colorado is felon friendly. You can vote, even if on probation. Only time you cannot vote is when you are incarcerated or on parole. You can also work for the county and state, and the state cannot prohibit you from getting any license or certifications.

24-5-101. Effect of criminal conviction on employment rights.
**Strong public policy of Colorado is to aid ex-offenders in their rehabilitation to society and to insure that they are not discriminated against solely because they, at one time, were convicted of crimes. Watson v. Cronin, 384 F. Supp. 652 (D. Colo. 1974).

Colorado State Constitution, Article II Section 5. Freedom of elections.
All elections shall be free and open; and no power, civil or military, shall at any time interfere to prevent the free exercise of the right of suffrage.

**Right to vote deemed fundamental right. The right to vote is at the core of our constitutional system and is a fundamental right of every citizen. Jarmel v. Putnam, 179 Colo. 215, 499 P.2d 603 (1972).

**Right to vote is a fundamental right of the first order guaranteed by the federal constitution and this section of the Colorado Constitution. Meyer v. Lamm, 846 P.2d 862 (Colo. 1993).

ACLU also has a piece about voting in Colorado.
"I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." -- Elie Weisel
Old 06-08-2008, 06:35 PM

I'm thinking about re-locating to the state of Arizona, since they have a reputation of hiring ex-con. I'm on 6 months house arrest/2 yrs probation. Do I have to wait until my 6 months house arrest is over and then request relocation to Arizona? If I'm lucky and happen to land a position. I do have family in Arizona so I'm not too worried about housing, etc... Or, would I have to wait until my two years probation is over to re-locate? Any suggestions, this is my last option
Old 06-08-2008, 11:48 PM

anyone know bout cali? my man is getting out next monday n he is soo sure he will be able to find a job but i dunno, being a exfelon..i think it might be harder than he thinks unfortuantly he's such a good worker 2..sucks
Old 07-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Fairytale Love

Does our system do anything to help except lock them up? aren't there any goverment programs once they are out???
Old 07-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Alferd Packer fan

Thanked 1,033 Times in 597 Posts

You know something? If he gets out in cali and can't vote, take a stand. Don't expect others to do it for you. Take a stand against the state. Because the right to vote IS a right the US Constitution protects. You only have the rights you are willing to protect. No one's gonna protect them for you.
"I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." -- Elie Weisel