Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Coming Home
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Coming Home Dedicated to discussions about our loved ones that are coming home soon. Discussions here should not fit any other category.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:09 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts
Default Having a felon stay in your apartment

How long can someone stay at your apartment without them being considered that they live there? Not that we have to deal with this right now the apartment I am renting doesn't allow anyone with a felony on the lease. It doesn't say anything about a felon visiting you. So I'm wondering how long can he stay without it looking like he is living there.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2015, 07:17 PM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,309 Times in 16,153 Posts

I'd check your rental agreement.
It may include how long a *guest* may stay.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:22 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts

You know I looked but I didn't see anything about that in there. I suppose I could ask but I don't really want to raise any suspicions.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:37 PM

Thanked 11,109 Times in 6,008 Posts

Standard TAA leases will have a clause that speaks to how long a visitor may stay before they are considered an occupant. Generally speaking, expect language for a period between seven days to two weeks...

That being said, much will also depend on whether the landlord is a stickler for lease adherence...some are content to leave well enough alone provided that the check clears each month. Others whine about the littlest of things...or worse, have neighbors that whine about every little thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
clingingtohope (04-16-2015), HisChevyBabe (04-14-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 07:37 PM
attorney

Thanked 22,280 Times in 7,745 Posts

You can look up landlord/tenant rights in your state. There are usually "gap fillers" for stuff that has been omitted from the agreement, and those "gap fillers' will dictate as they are usually drawn from statute.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
clingingtohope (04-16-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 07:38 PM

Thanked 1,634 Times in 533 Posts

Does the person have a legal residence elsewhere? If so, then that is their residence no matter how long they visit you.

If they do not have legal residence elsewhere, then they may be considered a resident of your apartment at the first sunrise.

At the very least, you might both get kicked out of your apartment at the same time.

You probably want to look at all the angles before angling something on your own. Trying to skirt the rules generally ends poorly.

Best of luck.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:09 PM

Thanked 11,109 Times in 6,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight View Post
Does the person have a legal residence elsewhere? If so, then that is their residence no matter how long they visit you.
As many persons on supervision or who were subject to registry requirements would tell you, this is NOT an accurate statement.

Quote:
If they do not have legal residence elsewhere, then they may be considered a resident of your apartment at the first sunrise.
Again, not generally a correct statement. Up through at least a one-week period, one would be considered a guest unless there was other indicia that they had taken constructive steps to actually move in...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
clingingtohope (04-16-2015), yourself (07-28-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 02:36 AM
My ❤ is in Cali Moderator
Donation Award 

Most rentals I have stayed in (20+ years ago) the standard was a week.
CDCr kicked him out of the SHU, YAY!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sammy's Girl For This Useful Post:
nakeisha99 (07-28-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
How long can someone stay at your apartment without them being considered that they live there? Not that we have to deal with this right now the apartment I am renting doesn't allow anyone with a felony on the lease. It doesn't say anything about a felon visiting you. So I'm wondering how long can he stay without it looking like he is living there.
I know here in oklahoma at this complex I live at is 7 days
Old 04-14-2015, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
Standard TAA leases will have a clause that speaks to how long a visitor may stay before they are considered an occupant. Generally speaking, expect language for a period between seven days to two weeks...

That being said, much will also depend on whether the landlord is a stickler for lease adherence...some are content to leave well enough alone provided that the check clears each month. Others whine about the littlest of things...or worse, have neighbors that whine about every little thing.
I am currently struggling with this issue. I am desperately trying to find us a place before he comes home and I havent had much luck doing so...everything is expensive and apartments are so strict on felons. I havent found one yet that will accept but depending on where you go and you sit down and explain to them the situation and everything there are SOME people who are willing to give your loved one a chance. but then again I agree with everything CenTexLyn is saying. If the check clears they dont say nothing. I dont ever see them roaming the grounds at all!! the only time I have seen them is when they are going around with pest control when they go into each apartment to spray. thats the only time I have seen them on the grounds.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:19 PM
Southern Fried Site Moderator on Leave

Thanked 3,920 Times in 1,341 Posts

Everything I've seen around me is around a week or so.
I have no clue what we're going to do when J is out. The only places I've found without restrictions are cheap, but not exactly in my preferred parts of town, if you get my drift. He'll be staying in a halfway house at first, but we'll have to figure out what comes after that....

I have been caught with an unapproved person before, though. I don't know how they found out. It wasn't a big deal - he was my husband (I was living out of town for school and he moved in with me later) and it was just a quick form to add him to the lease, but he also wasn't a felon.

Last edited by WeepingWillow; 04-15-2015 at 06:22 PM..
Old 06-14-2015, 11:00 AM

I know generally speaking for most leases in ny no guest can stay longer than two consecutive weeks unless u have special permission. But every landlord can vary and since your lease has no specifications I would check tenant laws for your state. I know my lease has no provision for guests but it does state I most notify my landlord if there is any new residents. That being said, if u are renting from a private landlord, you may be able to have a conversation and he/she may not be added. But yea check state tenant laws first
Old 07-27-2015, 09:23 PM
Beancounter

Something to consider....if the felon is paroled to your residence and not a halfway house the released felon will be assigned a parole officer. The PO may or may not allow him to "visit" your apartment for any length of time. The PO may notify the apartment manager.

I am aware of an inmate that completed his full sentence and was able stay at a friend's apartment for several months even though it was a violation of his friend's lease. No one ever knew as he stayed low and out of sight. However, that's a chance they took.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:15 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,890 Times in 886 Posts

Well I work in an apartment building and it's 7 days here. So the previous replies you received are on point.