Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region 3 Facilities
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida - Region 3 Facilities Information and Discussion about the following facilities: Avon Park CI, CFRC-E, CFRC-Main, CFRC-S, Desoto Annex, Florida Women's Reception Center, Hardee CI, Hernando CI, Lake CI, Lowell CI, Lowell Annex, Marion CI, Polk CI, Sumter CI, Zephyrhills CI

Old 07-12-2010, 02:31 PM

Red face CFRC-MAIN info?? Current mail situation as of July 2010

Hi All!

I was wondering about CFRC-MAIN and how long it takes my man to get his mail now? I saw previous posts that it has taken newbies a week or up to 18 days to start getting mail? Also, what kind of things can they purchase? How much are phone calls? I think it will be a few weeks til he can call, after his list is approved?

ANY info would be appreciated! You know how it is with us left out here wondering everything, how is the food? How are the officers? I have heard they are pretty harsh as per other online blogs.

Also, about what kind of turn around time have you experienced before they have moved your men? I know it will be anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months, supposedly, but there may be an average you have noticed?

Thanks all - - hugs going out to ya all!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,664 Times in 3,024 Posts

Mail going into CFRC-Main usually takes anywhere from 4-7 days from when you mailed it. They do not process mail on the weekends at all and they do open and at least quickly scan your letter for anything they might consider inappropriate or not allowed. Same rules apply for mail coming out to you. Depending on when your man turns in a letter to be mailed it could take anywhere from 4-7 days as well. Outgoing mail is also reviewed by CFRC mail room staff and, again, nothing happens with mail on the weekends. If you're waiting for a letter from your man, did you send him paper, envelopes and stamps or some money to buy them? There are limits as to how many of each you can send- check on the DOC website under FAQs for inmates and then go to writing an inmate. They can get mail as soon as they get there.Just be sure you address it with his full committed name (how they have his name listed on the DOC website) and put his DC number next to the name. Even if he has a unique name, they won't deliver your letter if his DOC # isn't on there. I know because I had one come back to me for my son when I forgot to put the number there even tho he's the only one in Florida DOC anywhere with his name. I guess rules are rules...

They can purchase all sorts of snack items, paper, pens, personal care items like soap or shampoo, playing cards, cigarettes, etc. I don't have a current pricelist on hand but your man should be able to send you one. There is a spending limit of $75 per week except during 4 special weeks during the year when they can order things like underwear & ahtletic shoes.

It usually takes awhile for their phone list to be approved. You have to have a landline- they won't approve cell phones at all. I would say 30 days from the time they turn in their list is average. There's a man you can call in Tallahassee if you feel it's taking too long or if you are having problems getting a number approved. For now, you'll have to make do with letters.

The food in DOC is pretty much not good according to inmates all over the state. They don't allocate much money to food and it's obvious to everyone who's had to eat it. It won't kill you but it's just not very good tasting.

Moving to a permanent facility can take anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months or more. I'd say the average is 4-6 weeks. The first few weeks they are at the reception center is for orientation and for the classification officers to determine what level of supervision and what, if any, medical or psych services are required. After that it's just a waiting game for a bed in an appropriate facility. If you're lucky they won't send him too far away but there's no guarantees.

The reception center is better than the county jail but not a great place. There are some nice officers and some not so nice. That's pretty much the same all over DOC. If your man stays out of their way and doesn't do anything to piss them off, he'll be just fine. There are going to be some wherever he goes that are just plain mean and nasty. My son says those are the ones he tries to avoid at all costs. Sometimes you can't, but it's in your mans best interests not to react badly to anything they might say. They're the ones just looking for a reason to write you up.

Hang in there. This is the hardest part- the waiting. Before too long your man will get sent somewhere and you will be able to talk to him and visit him. You'll make it, we all do. Hugs right back at you...
Old 07-12-2010, 07:38 PM

thanks so kindly for your reply! He did get one letter out to me, it arrived the next day from the post mark. I did also send him some paper, etc. I have his account open as well, but don't know if he knows that. I wonder how long it takes them to order and/or get things? I guess there may be just certain days they can order, etc. They didn't seem to read his outgoing mail, though, it was here the very next day.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

They may have read it anyway- you just never know. My son always puts a date on his letters-the date he writes the letter which is always the same day he turns it in to be mailed. That way we know how long it takes to actually get to us. CFRC is in east Orlando so it's not unusual for it to get delivered the next day in Brevard Co. after it's postmarked at the PO.

If you put money on his account it's always a good idea to let him know. Someone may tell him he can check his balance with his ID card but then again, they may not. Unfortunately, right now your only means of communication is letters so just send him a quick note about the account (if you haven't already). You can check his account balance by calling 1-866-209-7250. The only info you need is his DC# and its all automated so you don't even have to talk to anyone. There's a canteen where they can go a couple of times a week at least. Where my son is he can go every other day. They get their stuff right then. The only exception is the quarterly orders which take a couple of months to receive.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nktpt View Post
They may have read it anyway- you just never know. My son always puts a date on his letters-the date he writes the letter which is always the same day he turns it in to be mailed. That way we know how long it takes to actually get to us. CFRC is in east Orlando so it's not unusual for it to get delivered the next day in Brevard Co. after it's postmarked at the PO.

If you put money on his account it's always a good idea to let him know. Someone may tell him he can check his balance with his ID card but then again, they may not. Unfortunately, right now your only means of communication is letters so just send him a quick note about the account (if you haven't already). You can check his account balance by calling 1-866-209-7250. The only info you need is his DC# and its all automated so you don't even have to talk to anyone. There's a canteen where they can go a couple of times a week at least. Where my son is he can go every other day. They get their stuff right then. The only exception is the quarterly orders which take a couple of months to receive.
Yes, I did send him mail that we set up the account and I have been checking it, but the balance is still the same as what I deposited, but I figured it would take him a few days to figure out we got money in there and then maybe a few days to order something. Right now, I just have to go on the presumption that he hasn't gotten any mail. When he mailed the letter on July 5th, he obviously hadn't gotten any mail from me yet (I have been mailing every day since July 1st) and he was sending me the address and deposit slip and informing me how to do it. Well, hopefully, he has gotten some mail by now. I am just chomping at the bit to get some contact back quickly and that was the main reason I set up the account, so he could paper and all right away. Oh well, I feel like if I can get thru this week, things will be better when we can have some contact. I haven't seen him since the hearing on June 24th and that feels like a year ago already. I know there is no visiting at the Orlando Rec. and I had a visit scheduled at county the day after they moved him. I just keep praying for him and sending my love, that is all I can do for now! And yes, I always presume they are reading all incoming and outgoing mail ....

Thank you for responding!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikesprincess For This Useful Post:
Niki (07-13-2010)
Old 09-12-2010, 10:30 AM

Default thanks for the great info! i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nktpt View Post
Mail going into CFRC-Main usually takes anywhere from 4-7 days from when you mailed it. They do not process mail on the weekends at all and they do open and at least quickly scan your letter for anything they might consider inappropriate or not allowed. Same rules apply for mail coming out to you. Depending on when your man turns in a letter to be mailed it could take anywhere from 4-7 days as well. Outgoing mail is also reviewed by CFRC mail room staff and, again, nothing happens with mail on the weekends. If you're waiting for a letter from your man, did you send him paper, envelopes and stamps or some money to buy them? There are limits as to how many of each you can send- check on the DOC website under FAQs for inmates and then go to writing an inmate. They can get mail as soon as they get there.Just be sure you address it with his full committed name (how they have his name listed on the DOC website) and put his DC number next to the name. Even if he has a unique name, they won't deliver your letter if his DOC # isn't on there. I know because I had one come back to me for my son when I forgot to put the number there even tho he's the only one in Florida DOC anywhere with his name. I guess rules are rules...

They can purchase all sorts of snack items, paper, pens, personal care items like soap or shampoo, playing cards, cigarettes, etc. I don't have a current pricelist on hand but your man should be able to send you one. There is a spending limit of $75 per week except during 4 special weeks during the year when they can order things like underwear & ahtletic shoes.

It usually takes awhile for their phone list to be approved. You have to have a landline- they won't approve cell phones at all. I would say 30 days from the time they turn in their list is average. There's a man you can call in Tallahassee if you feel it's taking too long or if you are having problems getting a number approved. For now, you'll have to make do with letters.

The food in DOC is pretty much not good according to inmates all over the state. They don't allocate much money to food and it's obvious to everyone who's had to eat it. It won't kill you but it's just not very good tasting.

Moving to a permanent facility can take anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months or more. I'd say the average is 4-6 weeks. The first few weeks they are at the reception center is for orientation and for the classification officers to determine what level of supervision and what, if any, medical or psych services are required. After that it's just a waiting game for a bed in an appropriate facility. If you're lucky they won't send him too far away but there's no guarantees.

The reception center is better than the county jail but not a great place. There are some nice officers and some not so nice. That's pretty much the same all over DOC. If your man stays out of their way and doesn't do anything to piss them off, he'll be just fine. There are going to be some wherever he goes that are just plain mean and nasty. My son says those are the ones he tries to avoid at all costs. Sometimes you can't, but it's in your mans best interests not to react badly to anything they might say. They're the ones just looking for a reason to write you up.

Hang in there. This is the hardest part- the waiting. Before too long your man will get sent somewhere and you will be able to talk to him and visit him. You'll make it, we all do. Hugs right back at you...
Im going to be sentenced the 21st and am going to cfrc thanks for all info
The Following User Says Thank You to bg1944 For This Useful Post:
Niki (09-12-2010)
Old 09-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Praying for your time to pass quickly and without incident, bg1944.