Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Prison & Legal News, Info & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Prison & Legal News, Info & Events Current news items and information on events related to the New Jersey prison & criminal justice system, Legal News & Questions, etc.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:11 AM

Default All NJ members urgent please read!! Bill would impact HWH

So i went online to look at the NJ state bills for 2012-2013 and read something quite disturbing! NJ is trying to eliminate HWH for NERA offenders until there PED . My man has a PED of Nov 2019 but he is eligable 18-24 mths before for a HWH. I am asking all the long term offenders (not just in Nj ) to right a letter to the people sponsoring this bill to prevent this. HWH are critical, my man will have atleast 10y 9 mo in and i greatly feel like him finishing out his sentence in a HWH will help so he doesnt reoffend. PLEASE HELP PTO FAM!

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bills/BillsBySubject.asp

It is corrections bill A1900

💗 A&R 💋
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2012, 06:27 AM

If you would like to help with a letter PM me and I will give you my mail adress my goal is to collect letters protesting this and mail them to everyone in legislator, I am also starting a petition.

💗 A&R 💋
Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 AM

let me know!!! my husband is NERA for a car ACCIDENT!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 AM

What is ped and nera?
Old 03-05-2012, 04:53 PM

PED=Parole Earliest Release Date NERA=No Early Release Date

Old 03-05-2012, 07:31 PM

I PMd you my info JerseySeagull.

Anyone else who is interested PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!

💗 A&R 💋
Old 03-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Donation Award 

This sounds like it would be in line with the Governor's new directive for non-violent drug related offenders to be put into programs and not prisons. I'm sure they are gearing up for the bed space that would be needed for the non-violent offenders. I'm supposing that's why they are bumping the NERA inmates. One group wins, the other group looses! No happy medium! I would have to read up more on this to commit to a protest.

I certainly understand why you would want your loved one in a HWH instead of prison, but just note this: NJ HWH's are not utopia! They are beauracratic money making machines and are plagued by corruption and loaded with drugs and alcohol. Be careful before you decide you want your loved one to become a part of this. They set most inmates up for failure. Not a good environment. Most never make it to the furlough status, so if that's what you are banking on, it's highly unlikely that he will be one of the very few that get furloughs.

Just my opinion.

Good luck with your protest!

Gosh the NJ-DOC has made me a very cynical person! Ugh!

Old 03-07-2012, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspiration
This sounds like it would be in line with the Governor's new directive for non-violent drug related offenders to be put into programs and not prisons. I'm sure they are gearing up for the bed space that would be needed for the non-violent offenders. I'm supposing that's why they are bumping the NERA inmates. One group wins, the other group looses! No happy medium! I would have to read up more on this to commit to a protest.

I certainly understand why you would want your loved one in a HWH instead of prison, but just note this: NJ HWH's are not utopia! They are beauracratic money making machines and are plagued by corruption and loaded with drugs and alcohol. Be careful before you decide you want your loved one to become a part of this. They set most inmates up for failure. Not a good environment. Most never make it to the furlough status, so if that's what you are banking on, it's highly unlikely that he will be one of the very few that get furloughs.

Just my opinion.

Good luck with your protest!

Gosh the NJ-DOC has made me a very cynical person! Ugh!
The link for the site is in the first post And you can click on corrections and scroll down to A 1900 .... Read and let me
Kno what ya think ... Any support is greatly appriecated...

And btw i know what can come from a HWH . Its also what you make of it, if my LO chooses to stay drug and alcohol free its his choice no one is holding a gun to his head telling him to do something hes a big boy & with all the time on his sentence im postive hes not goin to screw it up in that way. My biggest thing is getin him back into the workforce considering hell have a job in a barber shop and hell have a chance to be around people instead of bein thrown into society with nothing.... I know for my man it will be positive as long as hes self disciplined...

💗 A&R 💋
Old 03-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

I live in New Jersey. What does "HWH" mean?
Old 03-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Donation Award 

Dear A&R ~ I by no means, intended to say that your lo would fail at his HWH attempt! On all of the roads they travel through the NJ-DOC it is definitely what each makes of it. I am just giving you the facts of what to expect at NJ HWH's (HWH = Half Way House For Ms. Embalmer). And yes, I know where to find the bills to read. But as you have a man with NERA and I have a non-violent drug offender who would benefit from this new bill, it appears we are on opposite sides of this referendum. Hence why I said, "one group wins and the other group looses". If I were to support your stand on this issue, it would mean that my man would not receive the benefits of the Governor's new bill. So we are at an impasse. So yes, I believe that Non-Violent offenders should take precedence over NERA Offenders (NERA = No Early Release Act for Violent Offenders) when it comes to entry into a HWH.

But again, this is just MY opinion. All others are welcome to their own opinion and support or non-support of your cause.

Good Luck to you and your loved one!

Old 03-07-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embalmer
I live in New Jersey. What does "HWH" mean?
Half way house

pixy p loves & misses her werewolf

The Following User Says Thank You to werewolfsgirl For This Useful Post:
Embalmer (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 06:15 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolfsgirl View Post
Half way house

Now I feel dumb for not guessing as much. Thank you, Werewolf Girl.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Dear A&R ~ I by no means, intended to say that your lo would fail at his HWH attempt! On all of the roads they travel through the NJ-DOC it is definitely what each makes of it. I am just giving you the facts of what to expect at NJ HWH's (HWH = Half Way House For Ms. Embalmer). And yes, I know where to find the bills to read. But as you have a man with NERA and I have a non-violent drug offender who would benefit from this new bill, it appears we are on opposite sides of this referendum. Hence why I said, "one group wins and the other group looses". If I were to support your stand on this issue, it would mean that my man would not receive the benefits of the Governor's new bill. So we are at an impasse. So yes, I believe that Non-Violent offenders should take precedence over NERA Offenders (NERA = No Early Release Act for Violent Offenders) when it comes to entry into a HWH.

But again, this is just MY opinion. All others are welcome to their own opinion and support or non-support of your cause.

Good Luck to you and your loved one!
This doesnt have anything with the Gov. Plan for non violent drug offenders bc the gov wants them in mostly TC programs, not nescessarily just HWH'S.. Anyway I am looking for supporters so thanks for your time

💗 A&R 💋
Old 03-09-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embalmer

Now I feel dumb for not guessing as much. Thank you, Werewolf Girl.
No need to feel that way. It happenes to everyone. Hell there is still abbverations I still don't know. & your welcome.

The Following User Says Thank You to werewolfsgirl For This Useful Post:
Embalmer (03-19-2012)
Old 03-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberJunior612 View Post
This doesnt have anything with the Gov. Plan for non violent drug offenders bc the gov wants them in mostly TC programs, not nescessarily just HWH'S.. Anyway I am looking for supporters so thanks for your time

�� A&R ��
Dear A&R,

I just want to make sure that people who read these posts are informed correctly. And if you read Section 8 of Corrections Bill A2038, http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2012/Bi...00/2038_I1.PDF the bill that the Governor is supporting for non-violent drug offenders, it specifically calls for the inmate to be placed in an Assessment Center for 60-90 days and then to be placed in a HWH (Half Way House). There is no mention of TC programs in this bill.

Why I believe the two bills are connected is because with the governor's push for drug programs for non-violent offenders it will cause a need for beds in HWH's. Thus, the new bill to limit NERA offenders from entering HWH's. It is also quite a coincidence that both of these bills were submitted within one week of each other. Please note that this statement is my opinion only, not a fact. I do not want to mislead anyone.

I for one would like to see all offenders released early. I have friends who have loved one's who are sentenced under the NERA guidelines. And some I feel are unjustly serving time under NERA. Particularly if you were poorly represented by our Public Defenders or a substandard attorney. If you don't have money for a decent attorney you normally suffer the consequences of receiving harsh sentences. It's unfair, but it happens on a daily basis! I have unfortunately received this education by having years of experience dealing with the courts, the public defenders and NJ-DOC for both my son and my fiance. Ugh!

Not trying to waste your time, just wanting to get out the facts to our PTO family. I certainly sympathize with your request and hope that your loved one will be able to go to the HWH sooner than later. Maybe everyone can wind up happy! It does seem stupid that this bill limits NERA inmates to a HWH until their PED. Why would anyone submit to a HWH if they can come home on Parole!

My sincere wishes for good luck to you and your loved one!

Old 03-09-2012, 08:52 PM

The HWH's are so bad that my son has been able to go to a HWH since last May and did not go because they are so bad, between the drugs, the alcohol, bad supervision, people stealing things, fights. There are three people in minimum where he is right now that put in to get out of the HWH for those reasons alone, were not charged with anything and put in a transfer to come back to minimum because it was safer. So be careful what you wish for.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trosa View Post
The HWH's are so bad that my son has been able to go to a HWH since last May and did not go because they are so bad, between the drugs, the alcohol, bad supervision, people stealing things, fights. There are three people in minimum where he is right now that put in to get out of the HWH for those reasons alone, were not charged with anything and put in a transfer to come back to minimum because it was safer. So be careful what you wish for.
You are so right trosa! It's sad, but I have never heard anything good about the HWH's! They are pretty awful! You would need to be very strong in your commitment to recovery to get through there with no problem! And then they are very petty and you get in trouble for stupid things too! Very corrupt! Ugh!

Old 03-11-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspiration View Post
You are so right trosa! It's sad, but I have never heard anything good about the HWH's! They are pretty awful! You would need to be very strong in your commitment to recovery to get through there with no problem! And then they are very petty and you get in trouble for stupid things too! Very corrupt! Ugh!

Jo
We could NEVER be on opposite sides!!! It's us against NJ DOC!! New aggravation...cutting our calls after 6 or 7 minutes and blocking off our time so that he cannot call back until the money clears! uggggggggg
S

Old 03-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySeagull View Post
Jo
We could NEVER be on opposite sides!!! It's us against NJ DOC!! New aggravation...cutting our calls after 6 or 7 minutes and blocking off our time so that he cannot call back until the money clears! uggggggggg
S
Thank you S! You are SO right! It is us against NJ DOC! And so that's happening in all of the prisons then, the short phone calls, no 60 second lady? I thought it was just at SSCF! Very frustrating! One more thing to add to the aggravation! Ugh! Luv ya! ~J

Old 03-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Peace Comes from Within

Thanked 1,439 Times in 772 Posts

One more thought to throw in the mix.... The corrections officers' union has taken a strong position against HWH's particularly for those termed "violent" offenders whether they are sentenced under NERA or not.

So sorry to hear of the new aggravations. Those calls are so important to family and inmate.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:00 PM

Theres actually a new bill also trying to go thru for the phones to lower the cost of our calls which i would also like help with ladies! (& thats something we all can agree on) currently njdoc gets a FOURTY PERCENT kickback from our calls, the GTL contract is up soon. Any ladies interested in supporting this bill to lower our calls pm me or let me know here! 1-3 dollars a call would deffinitly be nice considering i spend 6$ on a call now. In NYS they use v connect and its only 2.15 for a 30 min call! Hopefully we can band together ladies!!

💗 A&R 💋
Old 03-17-2012, 08:21 PM

Can somebody explain to me, in english, the first convo?! But as far as keeping the cost of phone calls down....I want in~
Old 03-19-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride4Hubby2010
Can somebody explain to me, in english, the first convo?! But as far as keeping the cost of phone calls down....I want in~
The first convo was for the law they are trying to pass against NERA offenders not going to a halfway house , nera is no early release act aka if your man / LO was sentenced with an "85%"

💗 A&R 💋
The Following User Says Thank You to AmberJunior612 For This Useful Post:
Inspiration (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberJunior612 View Post
The first convo was for the law they are trying to pass against NERA offenders not going to a halfway house , nera is no early release act aka if your man / LO was sentenced with an "85%"

�� A&R ��

Thanks A&R for answering her! I was getting a headache trying to think of how I could simplify the whole conversation! LOL

Old 03-20-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Thanks A&R for answering her! I was getting a headache trying to think of how I could simplify the whole conversation! LOL
Lol no problem

💗 A&R 💋