Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in New York that do not fit into any other New York sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:40 PM
* ride or die *

Default Questions about work release in NY!

If anyone has been through or knows anything about work release, any & all info would be helpful to me! My boyfriend is in CASAT right now, scheduled to complete mid December. After he's done he believes he will be transferred to either Hudson or Rochester for work release.

His family & i live in a small town somewhere in between those 2 facilities, so that's why we're not sure which one he will end up at. My plan was & still is to move close to wherever they place him, so that he can actually come home on his days out. Is there any way to find out where he will go before that time comes so i can move before or should I just wait? If i wait & his address stays his parents, can he change it after I move? Can he have a license or no? I don't drive myself so transportation is a concern.

As excited as i am that he's being given this opportunity, shaving nearly 2 years off his bid, I am so stressed thinking about all the details.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2013, 10:46 AM
JustLizBklyn

Default Work Release

Hello. I did 22 months on work release at Bayview (women's facility). You (and he) won't know where he's going till they transfer him. For security reasons there is no way the facility will tell you where or when he's going. I'm assuming all the WR facilities function similarly which means... he'll get hours out of the facility to search for work during the day and visit family. When he does get a job, the overnight's out of the facility begin, beginning with 1 night out per week (generally a Fri-Sat) and eventually working up to 7 nights (with check-ins during the week). It's a long process. He can always change his furlough address, but just know that when he changes it, they may hold him in until they clear the new address. And it all depends on who he gets for his in-house counselor and PO. If they work slowly, are dicks, etc, it can take a while to get things done. Work Release was a god send for me. I wish him the best of luck. Just help him keep his head straight and show mad support.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:53 AM
JustLizBklyn

Also, think of it as he's still incarcerated, but with the perks of sleeping away and working. It's just as strict; rather stricter. No driving, no drinking, no visiting places that serve alcohol, curfew, you need a land line at your furlough address, there's no leaving the state.. the list goes on. Just have him be super careful and tell him to keep his outside "life" to himself. Other inmates love to talk...
Old 01-14-2015, 08:07 AM

Default Work Release

Hello

I have a question regarding the work release program.

Can anyone tell me the procedure after an inmate is approved for Work Release and in transferred to a Work Release Facility?

How does it work? How long after he is transferred is he allowed to go to work , etc...

Thank you
Annette
Old 01-14-2015, 08:28 AM
Always Remembered
Donation Award 

Thanked 30,840 Times in 11,079 Posts

It's not very long. They are sent out on day passes to look for work, or the counselor sends them to one of the local businesses that regularly hire felons. After that, if they get a job, they go out to work, normally they're let out the gate in the morning, picked up by local bus, and they're off to work. They go back to the prison at night (very strict time requirements - DO NOT be late, or if you are, call with a very good reason!). At the end of the week, they turn their paychecks over to the prison, and those are placed in their accounts, minus a 20% fee that goes to the prison. They also stay in on weekends, unless their work requires their presence. Over time, if they manage well, they get more and more time away from the prison.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:30 AM

Default Work release

Thank you

What if he had a job he can return to before he was incarcerated?

Same procedure?

Annette
Old 01-14-2015, 10:18 AM
Always Remembered
Donation Award 

Thanked 30,840 Times in 11,079 Posts

Yes, but WR will talk to the employer and make sure they can always contact employer/employee to make sure everything is going properly. There's also, in NY, a tax bonus for employers who hire them. At least there used to be, several years ago. He can't get paid in cash, though. Has to be a pay stub to hand in. And he has to arrange his own transportation and still be back on time.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:01 PM

The way it used to be at Hudson a while ago was that on weekdays the prison ran a prison van in the early AM to drop guys at or near where they worked (if they worked in the local area, pretty close to the prison). They charged $1/day for that drop-off service. There was also a charter bus to take guys who worked in the Albany area up to downtown Albany. I forget the price on that one, and the guys who went to Albany had to take local buses from the drop-off point to where they worked. The charter bus did one pick-up every weekday in downtown Albany around 5:00pm. If you had a 7:30am(ish) to 4:00pm(ish) weekday job that wasn’t too far from the drop-off/pick-up point, the charter bus worked out OK.

When new guys got to Hudson, it always took a minimum of a couple weeks or more for the counselors to do the entry paperwork and get the guys out into job search. They weren’t quick about it. When you were in job search status, you were put on the list and allowed out 3 weekdays per week for around 9 hours to look for a job. They had specific requirements and limits on it, but they also had “5 and 2” WR status. If you got into that, you were released for 5 days at a time, lived at home, worked your job and came back into prison for your two days off every week.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:12 PM

Default work release

Thank you all. been a great help.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:50 PM

Default Work release

He already has a job, expecting to go to fishkill or lincoln
Once he arrives how long before he goes out to work?
Is he allowed to have a cell phone?
Drive a car?

Annette
Old 01-16-2015, 06:46 AM

Default work release

My son is doing work release out of Rochester. It took about 3 weeks before he was able to come home to look for a job.There is always paper work to complete. They can have cell phones, but they need to lock them in a locker when they return to the facility. They cannot drive. After 6 months of 5 days at home, 2 days back at Rochester-Tyler is now 7 days at home.He has to send his paystub back to the facility weekly, and sees a parole officer every 2 wks .It has worked well for him-the rules have to be followed. He also needs to send $40.00 per month back to Rochester.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atorre913 View Post
He already has a job, expecting to go to fishkill or lincoln
Once he arrives how long before he goes out to work?
Is he allowed to have a cell phone?
Drive a car?

Annette
Old 01-19-2015, 10:20 AM
mitchellswife<3

Can I ask you ladies questions in reguards to work release .....

How long did it take before they got approved, and after that how long did it take to get send to a CASAT facility?

Also, did any of them have violent charges where they first had to apply for a VFO?
Old 01-03-2016, 08:38 AM

Question, my husband got approved for work release.from the prison. How long before he hears back from albany and what are his chances? He would go to rochester as that's the closest to us (45min). But he already has a job waiting here. Can he drive himself to work being it's 45 min away from facility?
Old 01-03-2016, 05:42 PM

Thanked 1,019 Times in 445 Posts

Albany does not have a time frame, could be a few months. You will stress yourself out if you try to manage time. Those questions are best answered by your husband and his asking either his counselor, or going to the law library and searching for answers.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whmm View Post
Question, my husband got approved for work release.from the prison. How long before he hears back from albany and what are his chances? He would go to rochester as that's the closest to us (45min). But he already has a job waiting here. Can he drive himself to work being it's 45 min away from facility?
Is he in a drug or alcohol program?

I am not sure how Rochester works, but my friend was in Lincoln in Manhattan. He had to wait 2 weeks before he was able to start work as he too had a job waiting for him.
Tell him to make application to drive asap, and it has to be a company car
At least in NYC.

All the luck
Annette
Old 01-10-2016, 11:01 AM

He has already completed the art program and is currently in the as at program which will be completed in march. He has good behavior, no tickets.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atorre913 View Post
Is he in a drug or alcohol program?

I am not sure how Rochester works, but my friend was in Lincoln in Manhattan. He had to wait 2 weeks before he was able to start work as he too had a job waiting for him.
Tell him to make application to drive asap, and it has to be a company car
At least in NYC.

All the luck

Annette
He has completed the ART program and is cure in the ASAT prOGRAM which will be completed in march. He has good behavior no tickets.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:22 AM

For any future people reading this, my husband was approved for work release at the prison but denied from albany I think they like to get your hopes up just to destroy them.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:18 PM

Send your legislator a letter, ask them to look into it.