Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in New York that do not fit into any other New York sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2015, 11:08 AM
queenbmaster queenbmaster is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: NY, Northern
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question New from Northern NY

My son just got transfered from county to Elmira. From what I am reading he's in reception. He's got class E felony. Trying to find out if I send him money if the first one will all be taken. I know at sentencing the Judge said something about certain fines or charges that would have to be paid when he got out. At least I thought that is what he said. Anyways it's $450 all together. Some people I have talked to have said that I could go to the court where he was sentenced and pay the charges off, then they notify the prison that his fees are paid. Does anyone know? Also he is a big guy
6'4" and wears a size 17 shoe. I really doubt that they have boots and shoes there that will fit him. He has always had to special order shoes, and trust me finding any sneakers under $50 dollars isn't gonna happen. What will they do in a case like that?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2015, 05:23 PM
thatwiz thatwiz is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 5,595
Thanks: 1,081
Thanked 3,310 Times in 1,684 Posts

Yes all court fees have to be paid in full before he sees anything. Better just to send it and have them take it as they don't work well with other agencies and it will most likely be taken twice and you will have to fight to get your money back. Very strict on the $50 shoe rule- you are not going to get around that no matter what size he is as they will say he can just wear the state issued ones. Check Eastbay or Final Score as big sizes are usually cheaper because they can't get rid of them
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:42 AM
Combs Combs is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Outside the fence
Posts: 399
Thanks: 6
Thanked 583 Times in 232 Posts

+1 on the desirability of full-paying any due fines/fees by sending enough money to your son’s inmate account. I paid off all my obligations before I ended up inside, but it still took the DOCCS beancounters around 3 months to get their books up to date and allow me access to my money. DOCCS may be quick about some things, but they’re deadly slow when it comes to getting inmate accounts up to date and allowing prisoners access to their money.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:36 PM
queenbmaster queenbmaster is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: NY, Northern
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

SO, best to send it to his account inside, instead of at the court, that way, they know it's paid and don't have to wait for the court to catch up with them to confirm. I looked around, and Zappos has some plain sneakers insize 17 for $50.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:36 PM
whmm whmm is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: new york
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I paid my husband's fines the day they took him. I just made a copy of the reciept and mailed it to him. With his copied reciept they adjusted there files there so he was able to have his cominserry money. My husband also got class e felony.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:02 AM
PolkaDotKimmy's Avatar
PolkaDotKimmy PolkaDotKimmy is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central Square, NY, USA
Posts: 253
Thanks: 125
Thanked 78 Times in 63 Posts

If they said that the fees would have to be paid after he gets out, then they won't take anything. My husband doesn't have to pay for his until a year after he gets out. Do you have a copy of the "Uniform Sentence & Commitment" form? My husband's states in the remarks section at the bottom "Fees and Surcharges deferred one year after release. DOCS not to collect". If it says something like that, he will get all his commissary. I wouldn't send too much because they will probably be moving him soon anyways since he's just in reception and it can take 2-3 weeks for the money to catch up to him wherever he goes. So he might want you to send out money again when he moves so he has access to it.

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PolkaDotKimmy For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (01-03-2016)


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for others in Northern VA mymanslockedup Virginia General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat 21 07-08-2012 03:01 PM
Northern ca Raskoz_Grl Prison Talk Online Conference & Get-2-Gethers 88 12-19-2010 09:09 AM
Yet another incident @ Northern Mz.MM Connecticut Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events 6 01-09-2010 03:58 PM
Can Anyone Tell me Anything about NORTHERN?? brendan3600 Connecticut Prison and Jail Specific Discussions 8 08-11-2009 09:18 PM
Very New looking for FPC in northern Alabama-Need a name... natewil Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information 2 04-05-2006 01:15 PM

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:31 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2019 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics