Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region III Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region III Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Cooper Street CF, G. Robert Cotton CF, Gus Harrison CF, Huron Valley Center, Huron Valley CF, Macomb CF, Mound CF, Parnall CF, Parr Highway CF, Robert Scott CF, Ryan CF, Southern Michigan CF, Thumb CF

Old 09-25-2016, 07:56 AM

Default Huron Valley information requested

This past week my friend was found guilty but mentally ill and will serve LWOP for her crime. She is will be transferred to Huron Valley in mid-October after her official sentencing. She is understandably very down, and I am trying to find out as much as I can that is positive about Huron Valley to share with her.

I ran across some info about the JP5 tablet through JPay - it looks like it is available at Huron Valley. Can anyone share info with me about this? Cost, what it can do, etc? I think she would be very excited to learn about this. She'll be level IV and will need some things to pass the time. Can they get books on this to read like a Kindle? She loves to read.

Also, any info about being in the mental health ward/wing would be appreciated. How is it different from being in general population? Her lawyer told her it would be better but we are not so sure.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2017, 10:18 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.c. View Post
This past week my friend was found guilty but mentally ill and will serve LWOP for her crime. She is will be transferred to Huron Valley in mid-October after her official sentencing. She is understandably very down, and I am trying to find out as much as I can that is positive about Huron Valley to share with her.

I ran across some info about the JP5 tablet through JPay - it looks like it is available at Huron Valley. Can anyone share info with me about this? Cost, what it can do, etc? I think she would be very excited to learn about this. She'll be level IV and will need some things to pass the time. Can they get books on this to read like a Kindle? She loves to read.

Also, any info about being in the mental health ward/wing would be appreciated. How is it different from being in general population? Her lawyer told her it would be better but we are not so sure.
I'm sorry to bring this up about Huron Valley but I feel honesty is best. That place isn't fit for human dignity. They treat the inmates like animals. As I stated in another post there are a very limited number of guards there that are at least fair but that's not the norm. My wife is there and there have been some things she's been going through that just shouldn't happen. The best you can do for your friend is donate to her commissary account, set up a GTL phone account and keep sending her letters. Letters are one of the most important things to an inmate. Not sure about the tablet but a small TV is obtainable along with a type of MP3 player. I truly wish her well.

Last edited by Nitewolf047; 10-24-2017 at 10:21 PM..
Old 10-25-2017, 12:03 PM
Donation Award 

Also, you can subscribe her to certain magazines and things like readers digest. When doing that make sure they put a gift receipt in along with the package or it will be rejected. For books, Barnes and Noble or any place that is approved by the facility. Soft cover books only.Inmates are only allowed a certain amount of books, magazines in their possession, after which they must turn them in as a donation. This is my understanding from what I have been told.

Last edited by Nitewolf047; 10-25-2017 at 12:07 PM..
Old 10-25-2017, 12:14 PM

Thanked 3,004 Times in 1,805 Posts

You can get all the info on the jpay player through jpay you can even buy it for her but she will have to buy music and games at the facility though a kiosk. Unfortunately you can get books but you can buy books from Amazon and send them to her.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:48 PM
Donation Award 

Just remember the books have to go directly to her from their facility... not from your address.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:04 PM

Thanked 3,004 Times in 1,805 Posts

And they have to be purchased from Amazon not a third party seller and always get the gift receipt with it