Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:08 AM

Default Advice needed: release from Federal; what to expect from a halfway house?

My boyfriend is moving to a halfway house in 80 days from his prison. (Englewood in Denver Colorado)
I’ve no idea what happens. Can anybody explain to me how they work. It’s a new relationship. He’s been inside for 14 years so he’s excited & worried & everything you can imagine feelings wise. I’d like to help him in any way I can. I know he has a job to come out to & full support of his family but I just wondered if anybody had any advice or experience that could help me help him through it. Or explain to me hoe the half way houses work? I’ve no idea.
Thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2018, 12:26 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,975 Times in 11,672 Posts

It shows that the end of his sentence is near, which is great news. After orientation his main job will be to find a paying job away from the HWH. He will have to pay 25% of his gross pay to the HWH for room & board, but he keeps the rest. The idea is to transition from prison to supervised release by doing things like finding housing, getting updated identification documents, etc.

There are many rules he will have to follow, but they are only slightly different than what he will have to follow from his US probation officer after he is released from bop custody.

This PTO "Sticky" has links to the rule books for residents (no longer called prisoners) for two different bop HWHs. Each is a private business operated under the same bop rules, so there is many similarities in any of them, in any State/location.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=713211

One problem for many folks is that even though they are still in bop custody at the HWH, they are responsible for the cost of any medical care. People with few resources were forced to find charitable or welfare programs, which are not always available here.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:28 PM

Thanked 1,063 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
It shows that the end of his sentence is near, which is great news. After orientation his main job will be to find a paying job away from the HWH. He will have to pay 25% of his gross pay to the HWH for room & board, but he keeps the rest. The idea is to transition from prison to supervised release by doing things like finding housing, getting updated identification documents, etc.

There are many rules he will have to follow, but they are only slightly different than what he will have to follow from his US probation officer after he is released from bop custody.

This PTO "Sticky" has links to the rule books for residents (no longer called prisoners) for two different bop HWHs. Each is a private business operated under the same bop rules, so there is many similarities in any of them, in any State/location.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=713211

One problem for many folks is that even though they are still in bop custody at the HWH, they are responsible for the cost of any medical care. People with few resources were forced to find charitable or welfare programs, which are not always available here.
I don't know if this is true or not re the medical care, because I am putting my husband back on our group plan, but someone (a former Dr) we know in the HWH now said that medical care in the HWH is not a problem because technically you're still under the BOP healthcare so it is not a problem getting it. I have no idea if that is the case, or only where he is or not, but just passing that along. This was in July when he told me that, so perhaps that is how it is done now.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
Nu1 (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 03:53 PM

With the half way house can he come & go as he pleases etc? Is it just like a room in a house? What sort of freedom will have have? Will he sign in or out etc? Will he be ‘tagged’
I’ve no idea what will happen.

Thank you
Old 09-13-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu1 View Post
With the half way house can he come & go as he pleases etc? Is it just like a room in a house? What sort of freedom will have have? Will he sign in or out etc? Will he be Ďtaggedí
Iíve no idea what will happen.

Thank you
No, he will not be able to come and go as he pleases. They are very restrictive and in some cases, can be even more restrictive for some people than the prisons.

I was just reading the "handbook" for where my husband will be going today, and some of the rules are ridiculous. Visiting is limited to 3 hours a week, he can leave for a certain number of hours per week for but the specific itinerary has to be given and if there is weekday programming than it can only be on the weekends and there must be a landline. When he is on home confinement he will not be allowed out on Fridays except for work. Curfew is 7pm, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-14-2018), Nu1 (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 05:41 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,975 Times in 11,672 Posts

In the HWH I was in, residents were sent to the local welfare office if they didn't have medical insurance, and most of them didn't. My private insurance was worthless while I was still in prison, but it became invaluable at the HWH (making up for the awful medical care in prison), and during supervised release.

Medicaid may be available in the State where they are released, and urgent care is available in hospital emergency rooms, but without health coverage the bill is between the patient and the hospital.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 09-14-2018 at 06:28 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
Nu1 (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 05:02 PM

At the VOA HH in Baltimore, they sent anyone without health insurance to Healthcare for the Homeless, a local charity clinic. Certainly better than BOP healthcare, but that's not saying much!

While HH is supposed to help you find permanent housing and employment, in my LO's experience, they threw so many obstacles in the path of actual jobhunting (requiring permission days ahead of time to actually go to any interview), as to make it next to impossible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 99mtg00 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-14-2018), Nu1 (09-14-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 07:10 AM

Thanked 5,798 Times in 3,031 Posts

The half way houses are not a hotel he has requirements to accomplish while there. If he wants to stay out of prison he will do everything he's required to. The 1/2 way houses are barely a step above county jail. So expect him to not be doing much until he's working full time and paying restitution, rent, transportation, and the million other things that cost.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
The half way houses are not a hotel he has requirements to accomplish while there. If he wants to stay out of prison he will do everything he's required to. The 1/2 way houses are barely a step above county jail. So expect him to not be doing much until he's working full time and paying restitution, rent, transportation, and the million other things that cost.
This is why I asked. If you read I said I had NO idea what to expect. Iím not American. Iím English so I literally have NO idea how the system works.
I donít know if heís allowed a mobile phone, can he get a bank account? Retake his driving licence? He seems to think he will be there a month & then he will return home to his moms house in Utah.
Things are extremely different here in England.
Iím reading the handbook etc but thereís still stuff I donít understand.
Iíll get there, I just want to be as supportive as I can.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu1 View Post
This is why I asked. If you read I said I had NO idea what to expect. Iím not American. Iím English so I literally have NO idea how the system works.
I donít know if heís allowed a mobile phone, can he get a bank account? Retake his driving licence? He seems to think he will be there a month & then he will return home to his moms house in Utah.
Things are extremely different here in England.
Iím reading the handbook etc but thereís still stuff I donít understand.
Iíll get there, I just want to be as supportive as I can.
The HWH my husband is supposed to go to will allow a cell phone as long as it has no camera capabilities and no internet capabilities. The rumor was that they were allowing smart phones beginning Sept 1, but that was only a rumor and has not happened from what I understand.

Yes to a bank account, however, the rules of his supervision, which is on his judgment papers will dictate if he is allowed to have credit cards (depending on his crime usually) and if he is allowed to charge things or get permission first. I recall in my husband's case (white collar) the probation officer who was assigned to him for sentencing, first marked off that he couldn't charge things without permission or something like that, but his crime was not financial and his restitution was paid off, so the judge got rid of that fortunately. That one seems like it could really be a pain in the ass. I would have literally just told my husband to use cash as opposed to having big brother looking over him at every second of the day, so if that's an option I would consider that to some degree.

Driver's license, yes if it's expired, but he also has to have access to a car and I they don't allow that right away or at least until they've gone through orientation I believe and then have to show it has insurance and all the proper registration and title in order. That is not a big deal, however, most of the HWH are in bad neighborhoods, so you definitely want to be careful as to what kind of car you are parking there. That is something we are going back and forth on right now. My husband will be 60, he can't be expected to be walking 20 mins to a bus in 20 below weather, so we may have to bring a car down there for him, however, I'm not thrilled with the idea with one of our cars being in that neighborhood either, so it's a catch 22 to some degree.

We have recently learned that the HWH here has a lot of issues and have decided to retain an attorney in hopes to avoid some of those issues. My husband was approved for direct home confinement, which would mean he is supposed to go right to HC after finishing orientation at the HWH, however, the HWH is finding excuses to keep them there, especially white collar guys, as well as claiming they are 6 weeks behind in the home inspections, which is ridiculous. They won't set up the home inspection until you actually get there and prove on paper that you have the land line (which I already have). His entire HWH time is only 53 days, so it's stupid to sit there waiting for a home visit for 42 days, work to pay them 25% of what he makes, and be driving back and forth between a job and Dr appointments, etc. and deal with those restrictions, when he can actually be productive and working and not running all over the place. If he's in HWH, he won't be able to do the job at the HWH because he needs a laptop so it's just completely inefficient. On HC, he can actually do it and work from home if he wants.

Hopefully this attorney can do something, he knows the system, the players, and his PO. He is actually going to first aim for a program they have that skips HWH altogether and is straight hc, but we'll see. No guarantees on that, and we're not banking on that. Just don't want him stuck in the HWH for 6 weeks over their BS excuses. This guy will also help us get him off supervised release early and fortunately he said that will be no problem based on who our PO is and who the Judge was. So finally, some good news and perhaps the end of this nightmare. Of course, just more money to spend!

Keep asking questions, trust me that is how you will be the most prepared and not completely shocked when he gets there.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-15-2018)