Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions Topics / Information relating to the Arizona Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 03-08-2005, 12:01 PM
in love with my soulmate

Default DOC email reply....

Am going to inclose part of an email that I send to the DOC. I was sending a complain about one of their CO's and at the end included a little question.

This is the part that I asked:

Now I have one more thing that I would like to ask about. There are inmates,
like my husband, that came into the prison system as a Level 5 inmate. Him and many others, will never have the chance to go any lower than a Level 3 in the Classification process. Now the Level 2 inmates, are allowed 14 phone calls a week. The Level 3 inmates are only allowed 4. Now most of those inmates are never going any lower, so really have nothing to look forward to. So why can't those Level 3 inmates have about 6 phone calls a week? It wouldn't cost the DOC any kind of money, but make more money. And also give more talking time with the families themselves. Shouldn't good behavior in a way rewarding and also get them to better themselves?

Now this is the response that I received to this particular question:

As a point of clarification, the Department does not make money on the inmate telephone system. In fact, it costs money to operate. Fees for the collect calls is paid by the acceptor of the call to the telephone service provider.

I really would like to hear everybodies opinion about this. Cause I always thought and still do, that the DOC gets a percentage of those collect calls.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Missing_My_Friends

It's hard to believe they're not getting any kind of profit sharing out of this!

Mel
Old 03-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Missing_My_Friends

Another intersesting fact go to the article in the Arizona Forum I posted about Cashing In On Cons, they can say whatever!

Mel
Old 03-08-2005, 01:13 PM

It sure does cost money to operate, it costs US money! The inmate's family!

And I'm sure they make some money out of it!

Last edited by PhillyGurLL; 03-08-2005 at 01:14 PM..
Old 03-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Holding on tight

well ya know DOC if they are making money they sure in the Heck not going to admit it them do some thing nice for the inmate and family
YA RIGHT
LOL

:love:

Old 03-08-2005, 03:50 PM

I would be interested to know if they have to, as a matter of public information, disclose the agreement made between the state, the doc and the phone company, outlining the details of their contract. I'd bet you would find that they do indeed get a percentage of the profits.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Account Closed

I will never believe that the DOC does not get money from those calls. If this were so the inmates would be allowed phone cards!
Old 03-08-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Sorry so long, wanted to get you the info...

My aching ARSE! Of course they get money! I used to work for a company that published trade magazines and did trade shows. One of their biggest clients was a corrections communications company that sold the systems to the prisons AND the phone companies. They are making TONS, ahem, let me repeat, TONS of money.

I've seen the MCI contracts, and I won't say which state it was so I don't get called out, but one contract was giving as much as 70 % to the prison. The prisons tell you it goes to the "Inmate Welfare Fund"- again, yeah right.

"The state-level contract for the Inmate Call Home Program, says its detractors, allows the single carrier, MCI, to charge exorbitant prices for inmate-generated collect calls in exchange for a lucrative profit-sharing agreement that kicks back millions of dollars to the state.

The point of contention for the lawsuit is not merely the rates of the exclusive phone contract, but the 57.5 percent "overcharge" above all costs and profit gleaned by MCI that **** State claims for itself. But MCI and state prison officials insist that their contract is fair and resembles other prison phone contracts across the country. According to an August 2003 *** Department of Correctional Services (DOCS) press release, since most of the state’s profit from the phone plan goes towards bolstering spending on inmate health care, the question is really a matter of balancing inmate privileges and public tax dollars."

Here's another one...

"The contracts result in huge kickbacks, up to 50% of gross billed revenues, to the jails and prison systems who enter into these exclusive use contracts."

"As companies battle for these lucrative deals, they have
come to rely on a sales technique that states find hard to turn down: Diverting a portion of their revenues to the government agency awarding the contract. These "commissions" - essentially legalized kickbacks - have
ballooned from under 20 percent in the early 1990's to as high as 60 percent in recent years. In many instances, the size of the commission offered is the sole factor that determines which bidders wins a contract. Florida, for example, recently awarded a contract for long-distance phone serive at 53 of its correctional facilities to Sprint, which out bid competitors by offering to return a stunning 57.5 percent of its revenues to the state. Florida uses this money to finance prison expenses and inmate services including libraries, clubs, and substance-abuse treatment
programs. Some states, however, use the cash for other government programs. Virginia, for example, diverts its earnings ($10.9 million last year) to a general fund, appropriated however the state sees fit."
Feel free to cut and paste the above and e-mail it back to them...

Missy

Last edited by ndocwife; 03-08-2005 at 07:55 PM..
Old 03-08-2005, 10:01 PM

Thank You Missy! Well said! I too know for a fact that ONE, ahem, particular state receives a nice fat kick back from MCI.
Quite a racket, huh? We are in the WRONG business!
Old 03-08-2005, 10:54 PM
Looking Forward Always

ndocwife,
the contracts you spoke of are they az. as Blue I beleive is looking for AZ facts to fight this with.. I agree with her that they should not limit the calls .. my guy just went down so now we get 2 a day... but they change carriers often so the cost of the calls change for me often, they have ranged depending on carrier from 12 dollars to 27 ... they are with the higher cost carriers right now.. it is interesting how often the costs change and it is not just the lower us dollar as then the calls would go down..
Old 03-08-2005, 11:05 PM
Missing_My_Friends

Just a little paragraph from the Cashing In On Cons article I was telling you about.

Exhibitors hawked restraint chairs, tracking systems, drug-detection tools, suicide-prevention smocks and prison facility insurance. Dozens of companies competed to sell private health care systems, pharmacy plans, commissary services and surveillance systems. Of particular interest were behavior modification programs, juvenile boot camps, and internet and phone services. Interest in the latter brought in the "big boys" of telecommunications: Sprint, AT&T, NEC, MCI Communications, Verizon, Global Tel*Link and Qwest. And why not? Prison phone contracts that overcharge prisoners and their families generate an estimated $1 billion a year.

Old 03-08-2005, 11:19 PM
Missing_My_Friends

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/jlbc/04recbk/doc.pdf.

On page 7 of this link you will see yes ADC recieves profit sharing from Telephone Services.

I think that was last year though, so surely they couldn't be making a profit this year right? (LOL)
Special Services (DCA3187/A.R.S. § 41-1604.03)
Non-Appropriated
Source of Revenue: Profits from canteens, hobby shops, and commissions on telephone service.
Purpose of Fund: For the benefit, education, and welfare of committed offenders, and operating expenses of canteens and hobby shops.
A major portion of the Special Services Fund is maintained in banks outside the state treasury system, and the transactions are not
processed through the Arizona Financial Information System. As a result, the information for this fund is reported on an accrual
accounting basis.
Funds Expended
Year-End Fund Balance *
(121,300)
State Charitable, Penal, and Reformatory Institutions
Land (DCA3141/A.R.S. § 37-525)
Appropriated
Source of Revenue: Twenty-five percent of monies received from interest on the State Charitable, Penal, and Reformatories Institutions
Land Fund, as established through Arizona's Enabling Act, Section 25; and 25% of monies derived from the rental of these lands and
property.
Purpose of Fund: To provide a continuous source of monies for the benefit and support of state penal institutions.
Funds Expended
Year-End Fund Balance
State Education Fund for Correctional Education (DCA2107/A.R.S. § 15-1372)
Appropriated
Source of Revenue: “Basic State Aid” funding that ADC receives from the Arizona Department of Education based on the number of
Average Daily Membership pupils attending ADC education programs pursuant to A.R.S. §15-1372.
Purpose of Fund: To provide education to inmates under the age of 18 years and inmates with disabilities who are age 21 or younger.
Funds Expended
Year-End Fund Balance
Statewide Employee Recognition Gifts/Donations (DCA2449/A.R.S. § 41-776)
Non-Appropriated
Source of Revenue: Gifts and donations from public and private entities.
Purpose of Fund: For employee recognition programs that recognize and award the performance, achievement, longevity or major life
event of department employees.
Funds Expended
Year-End Fund Balance
* As reported by the agency. Actual ending balance will not be negative.
Click here to return to the Table of Contents
Non-Appropriated
Source of Revenue: Profits from canteens, hobby shops, and commissions on telephone service.
Purpose of Fund: For the benefit, education, and welfare of committed offenders, and operating expenses of canteens and hobby shops.
A major portion of the Special Services Fund is maintained in banks outside the state treasury system, and the transactions are not
processed through the Arizona Financial Information System. As a result, the information for this fund is reported on an accrual
accounting basis.
Funds Expended
Year-End Fund Balance *
(121,300)
Appropriated
Source of Revenue: Twenty-five percent of monies received from interest on the State Charitable, Penal, and Reformatories Institutions
Land Fund, as established through Arizona's Enabling Act, Section 25; and 25% of monies derived from the rental of these lands and
property.
Purpose of Fund: To provide a continuous source of monies for the benefit and support of state penal institutions.
Funds Expended
Year-End Fund Balance
Appropriated
Source of Revenue: “Basic State Aid” funding that ADC receives from the Arizona Department of Education based on the number of
Average Daily Membership pupils attending ADC education programs pursuant to A.R.S. §15-1372.
Purpose of Fund: To provide education to inmates under the age of 18 years and inmates with disabilities who are age 21 or younger.
Funds Expended
Year-End Fund Balance
Non-Appropriated
Purpose of Fund: For employee recognition programs that recognize and award the performance, achievement, longevity or major life
Funds Expended
Year-End Fund Balance
Non-Appropriated
accounting basis.
Funds Expended
Year-End Fund Balance *
(121,300)
Appropriated
property.
Funds Expended
Year-End Fund Balance
Appropriated
Funds Expended
Year-End Fund Balance
Non-Appropriated
Funds Expended
Year-End Fund Balance
Old 03-08-2005, 11:23 PM
Missing_My_Friends

To make it easy start reading where the color changes to blue.

Mel
Old 03-08-2005, 11:37 PM

Gee Blue- maybe you should send your e-mail buddy the link to their own information? Do they think we ALL just fell off the truck yesterday?

Missy
Old 03-09-2005, 12:02 AM
in love with my soulmate

Thanks ndocwife!! I guess they are thinking we all fell of those trucks...
Funny thing, that e-mail buddy is someone in a really high position within the DOC. Am going to send this link right back to him and will include the Director in my return e-mail, like he did in his. Asking him, if he forgot to read this report, where it shows they are getting a yearly profit and a not too shabby one the way it looks to me.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:15 AM
Looking Forward Always

that is great melbo .. you found a great resource..
good on you blue for sending it to them...
ahhh I knew there had to be proof somewhere as they change companies often for a reason and I would say it si a better deal for them
Old 03-09-2005, 09:11 AM
Holding on tight

I cant speak for the whole state of az but Az if they call WITH IN AZ it is US WEST on that rediculous recording haha and when i lived OUT OF STATE it was AT&T so they dont use MCI
Will tell you this it is almost 20 dollars for my husband to call his mom in NV
I pay 2.06 per call now
I AGREE THOUGH DOC MAKES MONEY ON THE CALLS
AND THEY SHOULD GET MORE CALLS

Old 03-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Looking Forward Always

i get an at&t operator start my call but they farm out hte long distance carrier to others as sometimes my bill states another carrier ..
heavens they make money on everything in prison.. they are a money making venture which is why tere are private prison.. private industry would not get involved for charity that is for sure
Old 03-12-2005, 05:18 PM
in love with my soulmate

Well I another e-mail with the link to the reports back to the DOC with a very nice message:

Not to be rude in any way about your answer to my question about the phone calls, but I recently read a report, that showed that the ADOC is getting a certain share from the calls, inmate stores, etc..and that thru the last few years are showing a positive balance on this.
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/jlbc/04recbk/doc.pdf. At least that is what it
is stating on page 7 here.
If I am misreading this or misunderstanding this in any way, my apology. This
is just how I was understanding the whole process, and I thought if more
calls would be allowed, so would also more money coming in for the DOC. Which in return, would be a great thing for both sides.

Now this is what I got back as a reply on that e-mail:

In your e-mail, you stated "it wouldn't cost the DOC any kind of money, but make more money." I reiterate what I said in response to your comment that the phone system makes money for the Department.
This is clarified on page 7 of the report you shared, where it states that these funds are "maintained in banks outside the state treasury system." The money never comes into this agency.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:15 PM

OMG!!! It's a wonder he doesn't choke, with all that S*** in his mouth... Whether or not it is actually "held" buy the DOC isn't the issue. The DOC receives the cash, period. What an ass... Maybe we should vote him in for President... he's a perfect fit!

Missy
Old 03-12-2005, 06:43 PM

What is wrong with this person replying the truth by stating, "Yes, we get a profit. What about it?"

I love what you did - informing people of their job and you've really got this person thinking. Too bad this person is too arogant to admit you were aware and informed of something they are not that they should be aware of.

Reading all this about DOC making money makes me feel sick to my stomach -that I am supporting those who are not treating my husband very well. In that case, I should request to be a share-holder since I've invested a lot of money in phone calls so I have a says-so on how they operate.

Old 03-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Looking Forward Always

So blue.. does that mean you should be able to ask your STATE level government where the funds are since well you did help contribute by talking to your husband,.. which shows that you would also as a resident be allowed a rebate? since it is "maintained in banks outside the state treasury system." The money never comes into this agency."
I would take his email and email your governor and ask her... as if this information you have is correct money going into doc isnt staying there so why do our calls pay for a different agency?
umm see to me they handed you a way to take it out of doc and into other arenas.. just my thoughts
Old 03-12-2005, 11:27 PM
in love with my soulmate

Oh yes, this e-mail is going to the Governor and the Senator in e-mail forward form and also in a registered letter that they have to sign for, to make sure they received it and can't deny it. Cause I want answers of where this money is actually going to. I mean $20 dollars for a 15 min call from here to Nevada? Am just saying wow. And maybe we all should buy one or two shares of AT&T and then get together and start telling them how to charge.

Last edited by bluesapphires4; 03-12-2005 at 11:28 PM..