Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes Do you have news relating to California's Prison or Ciminal Justice System and related efforts? Post them here! Also discuss 3 Strike laws.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:04 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,183 Times in 989 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
Regarding public outcry, are there any links to read about that? I've been wondering about opposition to this bill. Skinner earlier indicated she's been working with the DAs' association to reach some compromises on their objections...

I do not have any links . What I am basing this out cry information on is from what is on the TV news, news papers, and comments of concern coming in to
our legislators offices. I hear a lot of this stuff standing in the halls during hearing recess, and from aids I attend other hearings that do not pertain to judicial issues.
I also am involved in the fight of the California farmer. Whom if we don't start taking better care of we will be seeing empty shelves in our grocery stores. A lot of hard work goes in to what is at the grocery store. The American farmer is the only business person that pays retail price for everything he/she needs to run the farm business, but must shell their product at wholesale prices or less

Last edited by Patrickj; 08-09-2018 at 05:14 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrickj For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (08-09-2018), qwerty (08-10-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2018, 09:20 PM

Thanked 1,086 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post
If this Bill is going to help those already convicted. The sentencing courts will need funding to carry out the necessary corrections to the ones already sentenced. Now where is this funding going to come from? A new Bill(spending Bill) will be needed to be introduced and approved to cover these added expenses
Funding is the issue with appropriations now. That is the millions of $. Dealing with retroactive; the expense of all the currently incarcerated inmates who will petition for resetencing That is the reason it is in appropriations suspense. If it does pass they are going to have to pull $ out of General Funds. That's what the analysts say.

Qwerty's post that it will be back to Appropriations Aug 17 is promising news. Let's hope the meeting results in a vote out of suspense file.

Did they indicate whether this is a public hearing? Will Iniitiate Justice or one of the other advocacy groups be able to find out?

Most other reforms we see make little dents at NVO sentences and parole opportunities. This bill attacks sentencing on violent offenses. That is a big time difference. We are no longer talking about a NVO who maybe has a 3 year sentence getting a year knocked off. We are talking about VO's who have no date, often no hope for a date getting resentenced, and possibility of released on time served.

I bet Patrick is right, opponents are going to raise cain if this passes - assuming they aren't already.

CDCR claims they need millions of $ to transport inmates for resentence hearings, train, review files, blah blah. What horse manure. First, I'm sure CDCR prefers to keep them all in prison. Along comes a legislator or appropriations analyst and asks CDCR how much money do you need if this passes? I swear CDCR just pulls biggest dollar figure right out of their ass that they think they can get away with. Might as well grab what they can if this thing does happen. Analyst says thanks. That's that.

If bill passes, CDCR gets millions more $ to sock away so they win even if they lose. I don't give a damn if Sacramento throws excessive money around like this to get it done. I hate seeing it so easily go into CDCR coffers with dubious justification.

Regardless, happy to take the win if we get it. Let 'em have their money. It's worth it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (08-09-2018), qwerty (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 11:45 PM
Holdin' on for dear life
Donation Award 

I got this email today from Re:store Cal. So it sounds like they're expecting it will be brought out of suspense and appropriations will vote on it Thursday. If they vote on it, it should be a public hearing, right?

------
LATEST UPDATE
SB 1437 passed in the Senate and will go up for vote in the Assembly Appropriations Committee next week, August 17th. Then, it will go to the final Assembly floor vote. Finally, it would land on the Governor’s desk for signing.

------

Let's give 'em something to talk about!

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I got this email today from Re:store Cal. So it sounds like they're expecting it will be brought out of suspense and appropriations will vote on it Thursday. If they vote on it, it should be a public hearing, right?
Thanks for that, good to hear. 17th - Friday, not Thursday...right? I would assume it is public hearing, I do not know. I hope this is more or less at the stage of a going through the motions "yes" vote. Or do groups like Re:store and I.J. recommend public being there to testify with a "we support" at the hearing? Can someone chime in if they do hear more?

Senate floor voted 26-11 on it. Assembly floor will be a closer vote and count on some ugly debate. I've watched those. Public can watch from gallery but not comment.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:32 AM
Holdin' on for dear life
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
Thanks for that, good to hear. 17th - Friday, not Thursday...right? I would assume it is public hearing, I do not know. I hope this is more or less at the stage of a going through the motions "yes" vote. Or do groups like Re:store and I.J. recommend public being there to testify with a "we support" at the hearing? Can someone chime in if they do hear more?

Senate floor voted 26-11 on it. Assembly floor will be a closer vote and count on some ugly debate. I've watched those. Public can watch from gallery but not comment.
Yes, it's on Friday, sorry (I would fix it, but I guess I can't edit the post anymore). Re:store is urging people to write their Assemblyperson: https://restorecal.org/sb1437-supportletter/

I haven't seen any requests for people to go testify yet. There was talk of a rally on Aug. 21 before the floor vote.

Last edited by qwerty; 08-11-2018 at 11:48 AM..
gvalliant (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 12:16 PM
Holdin' on for dear life
Donation Award 

Also, here's a really good history of how this bill came to happen:

https://jjie.org/2018/08/08/accompli...in-california/

gvalliant (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Also, here's a really good history of how this bill came to happen:

https://jjie.org/2018/08/08/accompli...in-california/
That is a must read for anyone who has interest in reform, even if this specific felony murder rule doesn't affect you. Which is the case for most of us. This shows what it takes to get reform done properly and should give everyone an appreciation of how much work and the quality of work these advocacy groups and the good legislators do.

This bill does not potentially impact all CDCR inmates or even close. Less than 1% in fact. Still I think it is as important as any reform we've seen. Somewhat surprised at the minimal level of debate we've seen about it. I suppose that owes to the small percent of people impacted.

I think that public debate might start heating up as this thing approaches home plate.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
qwerty (08-11-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 09:55 AM

I just checked the Assembly website. You were right first time - it is scheduled for Thursday Aug 16.

Other relevant dates (assuming they pass it out of suspense).

- Friday Aug 17 seems to be last day for committee hearings and last day for fiscal committees to meet and report
- Only floor sessions and votes scheduled after that
- Friday Aug 31 is last day for each house to pass bills

If it passes Thursday, it then has 2 weeks to get to and pass Assembly floor vote.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
qwerty (08-13-2018)
Old Today, 02:37 PM
Holdin' on for dear life
Donation Award 

It just passed Appropriations.

Some amendments were made, but the new version hasn't been posted online yet. The committee chair said one change was that it won't apply when the victim is a police officer. Sounded like the other changes had to do with the filing process.

gvalliant (Today)