Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:02 PM
Donation Award 

Default Prison riots: Is it true that you have to fight for your race?

If a riot breaks out, is it true that you have to fight for your race and if you dont, that others will come after you? If it is true and you have to do it, then don't you set yourself up for having your good time credits taken away? Or is it taken into account by the authorities that you have no choice? Need an answer to this to relay to my son.

They almost had one in reception and although he could see it was going to happen, he said he couldnt just leave the yard and go back to his cell. Fortunately the situation was difused, but it appears that some people there get easily dissed and it will probably happen at some point. Since he's trying to stay out of trouble, how does he handle this when it comes up?

Pretty worried about this aspect of prison. Dont want my son to get hurt either.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2018, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 5,703 Times in 2,865 Posts

Quote:
Or is it taken into account by the authorities that you have no choice?
No. It's not. Anything other than doing exactly what you are told by COs to do will cause good time loss.

And by riot...it depends on what the rioting is about. Most often a riot brings all races together as one as they are all fighting for the same issues. If a fight involves disagreements between races, it's not a riot at all.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo527 View Post
If a riot breaks out, is it true that you have to fight for your race and if you dont, that others will come after you? If it is true and you have to do it, then don't you set yourself up for having your good time credits taken away? Or is it taken into account by the authorities that you have no choice? Need an answer to this to relay to my son.

They almost had one in reception and although he could see it was going to happen, he said he couldnt just leave the yard and go back to his cell. Fortunately the situation was difused, but it appears that some people there get easily dissed and it will probably happen at some point. Since he's trying to stay out of trouble, how does he handle this when it comes up?

Pretty worried about this aspect of prison. Dont want my son to get hurt either.
Unfortunately that IS how it works on the yard when it comes to riots. But it isnt like a "PRISON policy", i mean in the legal sense- its a convict policy- the guards dont give two fucks about anything like that and yes they will take any good time or whatever else they want as a punishment for participating in a riot. This is one of MANY fucked up circumstances one can look forward to finding himself in while being locked up. Where there's only one option for any inmate and said option will most definitely cause you to catch more time....but the consequences for NOT following that rule, and NOT jumping in and fighting with your race when a riot kicks off- will DEFINITELY be worse than just catching more time. Your son would be targeted by all the same-race inmates (his race i mean) AFTER the riot because theyll see him as a coward that disrespected their entire race. Bottom line, he really DOESNT have a choice here- if he catches more time then it is what it is and hes gotta just roll wirh it.
The Following User Says Thank You to JessesGirl2022 For This Useful Post:
Halo527 (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 5,703 Times in 2,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessesGirl2022 View Post
Unfortunately that IS how it works on the yard when it comes to riots. But it isnt like a "PRISON policy", i mean in the legal sense- its a convict policy- the guards dont give two fucks about anything like that and yes they will take any good time or whatever else they want as a punishment for participating in a riot. This is one of MANY fucked up circumstances one can look forward to finding himself in while being locked up. Where there's only one option for any inmate and said option will most definitely cause you to catch more time....but the consequences for NOT following that rule, and NOT jumping in and fighting with your race when a riot kicks off- will DEFINITELY be worse than just catching more time. Your son would be targeted by all the same-race inmates (his race i mean) AFTER the riot because theyll see him as a coward that disrespected their entire race. Bottom line, he really DOESNT have a choice here- if he catches more time then it is what it is and hes gotta just roll wirh it.

I believe your message is for riots against race or other groups of inmates only.
Riots against establishment, the prison, COs, food, yard time, etc, they all come together as one. And no one is retaliated against for not participating.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:00 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessesGirl2022 View Post
Thanks for your answer. It's true then. And yes it does suck big time that it's this way. I asked him if he could leave the area if he sees tension happening but he said that you are stuck on the yard when you are out there.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:04 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass4221 View Post
I believe your message is for riots against race or other groups of inmates only.
Riots against establishment, the prison, COs, food, yard time, etc, they all come together as one. And no one is retaliated against for not participating.
Yes, this is for races. My son said that there are hot heads who create this type of problem. The white rep was able to handle this last one, but he's leaving soon and the new rep is the hot head who caused it.

I can see how the other situation is different. I'm afraid he might not have a choice from what Jesses Girl said above. Hate this stupid system
Old 08-08-2018, 08:52 PM

Thanked 1,275 Times in 527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo527 View Post
Yes, this is for races. My son said that there are hot heads who create this type of problem. The white rep was able to handle this last one, but he's leaving soon and the new rep is the hot head who caused it.

I can see how the other situation is different. I'm afraid he might not have a choice from what Jesses Girl said above. Hate this stupid system
Jessesgirl is right, bear in mind you don't catch more time. You lose credit. And in some cases, you can earn that credit back. Guards will not care much about who started, who stopped, who intervened, who won, who lost. Yes riots happen. I think if something breaks out it usually gets put down quickly. I struggle to remember a riot getting out of control in California enough to make the news in a quite some time.

There are hot heads. Guys learn how to navigate and avoid, admittedly it will be a challenge for him to figure that out successfully in the early going. There are also rational people.

The racial aspect sucks. In addition to fighting with your race there are other idiotic things he may have to do or support with "his race". Much of this is a result of gangs which are primarily race based. They make some of the rules that he'll have to comply with to some level to get along. Doesn't make him a racist. Guys deal with it and make friends with other races. Some yards and prisons segregate, some don't. My son is white and has had a Hispanic cellmate. They did fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
Halo527 (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 09:24 PM
Southern Fried Site Moderator on Leave

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 3,366 Times in 1,183 Posts

Yes to all of the above. If you don’t fight for your race during a race riot, you risk getting killed for it. The prison isn’t going to make allowances for people just because of politics, but better off losing some good time than dead. Although if you’re really not wanting to participate, it seems unlikely you’d be singled out to be disciplined any more than being locked down with everyone else.

My husband was at a rock and roll, gang infested unit and there were a few times when I got “the call” about tensions being high and how his hands were tied. Of course I’m thinking...get the hell out of there! Go back to your cell and hide! But it doesn’t work that way. And when you’re not running with a gang (or a drop out like my husband) your situation is already precarious and people WILL be looking for you.

Last edited by WeepingWillow; 08-08-2018 at 09:31 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WeepingWillow For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (08-09-2018), Halo527 (08-08-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 12:53 PM

I had a close friend in Federal and yes it is true. He said if you didn't you better be going straight to PC. He was close to getting out when a riot almost happened. I couldn't believe he was going to go through with it but he said he didn't have a choice. Luckily the higher ups within the inmate races were able to work it out and he was able to get out of there before anything happened.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:37 PM

Everyone gets locked up until they know what’s going on. Doesn’t necessarily mean loss of good time, it means they don’t know who’s who. And if there are staff involved the lock up will remain until inmates and staff are accounted for, in the correct clothing, and all medical issues are triaged. Sometimes the best thing IS a gas deployment for guys like your son stuck between rock/hard place.
But I only speak for NY, and I hope your son fairs well.