Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:42 AM

Default Staying Positive/Secondary Trauma

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if any of you have every experienced secondary trauma while having a loved on in prison. My very close friend, who is more like my brother, is serving LWOP and has been in there since he was 16. He's turned his life completely around. Recently, he's opened up a lot about his childhood, and I've heard absolutely horrifying stories of abuse, abandonment and neglect. When we talk about these things, I've been trying to stay strong because I want to be positive for him, but lately my voice has been cracking on the phone and I've cried a bit a few times.

Most recently my friend told me that he'd lost his virginity to a young *adult* when he was 12, and I had to explain to him that was technically rape. I didn't think he knew. I told him that he didn't do anything wrong*And I told him that it is fine if he is ok with what happened, but that it is also fine if he wants to talk about it more and that I am here for him. But halfway through explaining, my voice started to crack and he could tell I was crying. He was so upset to make me upset. I feel so, so bad for having to say these things to him and for getting so emotional over the things he tells me lately.

Being a positive person, he tells me these things as if it were normal, but these stories are so far outside of the realm I've inhabited that lately I've been feeling so overwhelmed and angry at God/the world for letting him down. I try to be positive, because if I'm not, he will feel bad for making me upset. And then I get upset at myself thinking that I must be such a spoiled, sheltered person that these stories upset me so much when I wasn't even the one living through it.

I wanted to reach out to see if any of you have any advice or guidance on how to stay strong so that I can be the best friend I can be to this person who I truly consider to be my brother. I am the only steady figure in his life. Otherwise, I am a good friend. I'm the only person that visits him (I drive hours), send him letters and emails every week, send him little gifts like books.

Last edited by CharlieMJL; 11-30-2016 at 06:45 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2016, 12:15 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,864 Times in 5,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlnudnick View Post
Being a positive person, he tells me these things as if it were normal, but these stories are so far outside of the realm I've inhabited that lately I've been feeling so overwhelmed and angry at God/the world for letting him down. I try to be positive, because if I'm not, he will feel bad for making me upset. And then I get upset at myself thinking that I must be such a spoiled, sheltered person that these stories upset me so much when I wasn't even the one living through it.
I've felt that last line more than once, only the friend is my husband. I'm positive that there have been times he's telling me something about his childhood and my face is screaming, "Are you kidding me?!" because it seems absurd to me that any child should or could go through that. I didn't have a perfect childhood, but my home was safe.

He's working through some things in order to be able to understand his own decision making skills and in that, he'll talk about events that were traumatic or had a big impact on his growing up. I've learned that it's OK for it to hurt my heart-- it means we're empathetic beings. But I have to remind myself that talking about it helps him to be better and stronger. So I listen as if it were medicine. It's healing him. And I can't be sad about that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 01:32 PM
Je ne regrette rien
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,504 Times in 754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlnudnick View Post
I wanted to reach out to see if any of you have any advice or guidance on how to stay strong so that I can be the best friend I can be to this person who I truly consider to be my brother.
Bless you for being such a good friend to him! You can't do this on the expense of your own health though, so if you are feeling overwhelmed about it, and if you have nobody to talk about it with - please do not stay alone with this burden but reach out to a therapist. You have to take care of yourself first in order to support him, sweetheart. Some of us are more sensitive than others and I can imagine how deeply something like this can affect you...no shame in getting support for yourself. Also hopefully we can be here for you in this community

You mention that you are his only support. Do you think he would be open to the idea of having pen pals? Getting a few more people into his life that way if there is no family and other friends around? We also have a forum HERE
called Elsa's Inmate Card Projects where you can request a card swap or just something to cheer him up with via mail from others here.... I'm just thinking that if he forms new friendships then perhaps you will feel less pressure of being the one and only who is his lifeline to the outside world, you know?

Sheltered or not, being able to show compassion and empathy is what makes us human...you are clearly a caring person and that is a gift - just please take care of yourself as well, okay?
Old 11-30-2016, 07:34 PM

I cannot thank you both enough for your replies. They both helped me so much. Miamic, I liked how you said that you "listen as if it were medicine." That is such a great way to think about it, and I'm going to keep that in mind from now on.

Sarianna, you had amazing advice, and I've already started working on it. I got in touch with a woman who is very active in the prison/criminal justice reform arena who adopted a lifer as her son (he had no one else in the world), and we are going to talk on the phone tomorrow about everything because she says she knows exactly what I'm going through. I also think that the card project is a great idea, especially since the holidays are coming up and my friend has had a pretty rough year. My friend did have a profile on WriteAPrisoner for the past year (it recently expired), and he had quite a few letters from people, but he didn't really connect enough with them to keep writing once the rough times came. I think he will like the card project, though.

Thank you both again for all of your help!! I cannot even tell you how much better I feel knowing that I'm not totally crazy and out-of-line, and that I'm not alone in this. :-)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CharlieMJL For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-01-2016), miamac (11-30-2016), Sarianna (12-01-2016)