Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:38 AM
Waiting for my Sunshine

Default Does anyone know anything about POA and Tribal checks?

Hey all I'm new to this site and hoping that I am posting this in the correct place but I was hoping I could get some information. My boyfriend just made me his Power of Attorney a couple of weeks ago and has asked me to help him with his finances. He is Native American and gets checks from his tribe every month, he also lives in Washington while I live in Arizona. He has contacted his tribe and provided them with a copy of the power of attorney paper so his checks will now be sent to me. He told me that they will be in his name and all I have to do is take the checks and the power or attorney paper he sent me to the bank and I should have no problem cashing the checks or depositing them. I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with this and if that is all I need to do? Thanks in advance for any information on this.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2016, 01:09 PM

Thanked 9,762 Times in 5,504 Posts

Much will depend on your relationship with your bank. Some will cash a third-party check (which is what this is since it is not YOUR check) while others will not...and of those that do it, they may only do it as a courtesy for a period of time.

Your better bet is to find the local branch of the bank he was using. Even better is to set it up for direct deposit into his bank account, which saves you from having to go through the hoops of hitting up a brick and mortar bank every so often...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Poisoned Ashes (11-26-2016), sidewalker (11-27-2016), yourself (11-26-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 11:03 PM
Waiting for my Sunshine

Thank you so much for the response. I was worried I may end up with headaches because it was a third part check. After reading this I looked on this site for bank accounts for inmates and found one about Simple bank and how people have been able to open accounts for inmates using them. I already spoke to him about this and he agreed to set him up a bank account with simple bank that he is going to get the checks direct deposited in so I don't have to deal with trying to cash or deposit the check and I can just use that to send him money when he needs it. This also lets him have a way of saving his money and if anything were to happen and he doesn't want me to manage his finances anymore I can just give the information to the person he gives his POA to and they can manage his account.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:48 AM

Thanked 1,688 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poisoned Ashes View Post
Hey all I'm new to this site and hoping that I am posting this in the correct place but I was hoping I could get some information. My boyfriend just made me his Power of Attorney a couple of weeks ago and has asked me to help him with his finances. He is Native American and gets checks from his tribe every month, he also lives in Washington while I live in Arizona. He has contacted his tribe and provided them with a copy of the power of attorney paper so his checks will now be sent to me. He told me that they will be in his name and all I have to do is take the checks and the power or attorney paper he sent me to the bank and I should have no problem cashing the checks or depositing them. I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with this and if that is all I need to do? Thanks in advance for any information on this.
I don't have first hand experience with the tribal money, but do with being the POA. All I had to do was provide each institution he had been dealing with a copy of my POA and did not have any problems. It also depends on the kind of POA you get...Mine is for anything and everything he could sign for, I was allowed to sign for.
Poisoned Ashes (11-28-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 01:07 AM
Waiting for my Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe67 View Post
I don't have first hand experience with the tribal money, but do with being the POA. All I had to do was provide each institution he had been dealing with a copy of my POA and did not have any problems. It also depends on the kind of POA you get...Mine is for anything and everything he could sign for, I was allowed to sign for.
The POA he signed is a general power of attorney that he says is for everything. It states that i can act in his capacity to do every act that he may legally do through an attorney. I have never been a POA before so this is a learning process for me.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:55 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,395 Times in 13,069 Posts

Are you sure the tribe will allow for direct deposit?
Not sure if the tribe can have their own *rules* for negotiating their checks, but I do know I see them sent all the time to a home, certified/return receipt.

As far a opening up a bank account for him?
Back in the olden days (when I worked for a bank) you needed to sign a signature card, in person, with ID to open an account.

I hope you are able to assist him with all this.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Poisoned Ashes (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 02:09 AM
Waiting for my Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Are you sure the tribe will allow for direct deposit?
Not sure if the tribe can have their own *rules* for negotiating their checks, but I do know I see them sent all the time to a home, certified/return receipt.

As far a opening up a bank account for him?
Back in the olden days (when I worked for a bank) you needed to sign a signature card, in person, with ID to open an account.

I hope you are able to assist him with all this.
The bank account I opened for him didn't require proof of ID or a signature just his legal name, date of birth, and social security number. Everything has already been opened and approved and the debit card that goes with his account should be here in the next week or two. So his account is already up and running under his name and information and they charge no fees so that is a bonus.

He said that they do direct deposits with the money. I sent him all his bank info in an email and he should get it tomorrow. As soon as he gets the information he is calling his tribal office to see if they can do direct deposits for him. When I was doing all my research I also found information from the bureau of indian affairs and it says they do direct deposits. So hopefully all of that works out for us because it will make things much easier to get his check cashed and manage his money.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poisoned Ashes For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-28-2016), sidewalker (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 05:53 AM

Thanked 9,762 Times in 5,504 Posts

The bank described may work provided you NEVER need a physical branch and will NEVER need to deposit cash and are fine with checks being handled by a third-party...

And when a bank is debit-card based, you should also look at fees...being a part of the BBVA family does not change the potential there.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:42 AM
Waiting for my Sunshine

Wanted to give an update:
His first check came this month and it was horrible trying to find a place that would cash the check. Banks didn't want to do it for a number of reasons nor did most check cashing places. I even went to the bank the check was issued from where I have an account and they told me they could only do it if he had an open account with them, and they couldn't open one for him because he was incarcerated. After a long a painful search all around town I finally got his check cashed and it was everything I was worried about. However the tribe did approve the direct deposit for his bank account I set up for him so I no longer have to worry about that. I have linked his account to mine that I have with another bank so if I ever need to deposit cash or need to go to a branch for some reason I have that option available to me through my bank and all I need to do is transfer money between accounts. So far we have not had to deal with any fees from the bank I opened his account with, and after talking to him we both agreed if any fees do get charged they probably won't be much compared to the fees of cashing the check and loading it to a prepaid card which charges fees. Although the account does take a little longer to process things such as transfers and deposits it is worth it because I know he can have access to his money and I am not worried about finding a place that will cash his check.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poisoned Ashes For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-18-2016), sidewalker (12-18-2016)