Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The War on Drugs - and the results of it
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The War on Drugs - and the results of it A war against drugs, or against families?

Old 02-10-2006, 09:55 PM

Default Are drug dealers to blame for drug use?

I have a question for you all. I was wondering what you thought about drug dealers? especially women whos boyfriends are addicts. I have spend alot of my life in trying to help drugs addicts. Addiction runs in my family...my uncles and grandfather all have died from this disease. My cousin is slowly killing himself and my brother is an addict. When i was younger i would loathe drug dealers, but now i am in love with one (well now an ex dealer). While dealing drugs does not define who Jason is, he is still soemone who benifitted from others weaknesses and took money from people who should have been feeding their children with it. I alwasy felt that it was fair to say that he was taking the food out of the mouths of these children. But now that i think of it, all bussniesses take advantage of peoples weaknessess and if they did not get drugs from him, they would have got it from someone else. It is not his fault drugs exist and he is not forcing people to use them Am i trying to talk myself out of something that i once believed or have i just grown and learned that dealers are not to blame for drug use. what does everyone else think on this subject?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2006, 10:20 PM
He COMPLETES Me!

I don't think that anyone is to blame for their drug use except to each his own. A person has a CHOICE and free will. My husband's drug use was all because he wanted it, not because the drug dealers gave it to him...all he had to say was NO, but it was his choice to say yes. No one can blame anyone except the person doing the drugs...we have pointing the fingers at everyone else.~~~Brandi
Old 02-10-2006, 10:26 PM
McCoy's Angel

Yes and no. Addiction can not be fed. I feel that drug dealers enable their addictions. They help the people find the stuff. ANd they should be punished.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:40 PM
WINNING! Admin

PTOQ Editorial Team Member 

Donation Award 

Thanked 37,851 Times in 10,458 Posts

Speaking as a former drug user (meth was my drug of choice) I can tell you that no drug dealer was to blame for my use/addiction. I come from a long line of clinically depressed folks, it's the family way for us and in my case you can throw in a dose of agoraphobia as well. After many years of self-medicating with street drugs I kicked it to the curb, it was a tough battle, I will always be an addict but God willing I will never use again.

I take issue with anyone that puts drugs into the hands of our youth. That to me is unforgivable, however I can't solely blame that on the dealers as a dealer can sell to an adult who in turn passes drugs along to today's kids.

Is Krispy Kreme to blame for making one overeat? I know smoking doesn't make me look cool and I'm fairly sure it was the cause of her lung cancer (RIP mama) but I still do it, not even gonna blame the tobacco companies.

For the record: my post is not intended to endorse drug dealing but simply a reflection on my personal situation.

Patty

THIS CORRESPONDENCE
IS FROM A WOMAN IN LOVE
WITH A FORMER INMATE OF
THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT
OF CORRECTIONS

Old 02-10-2006, 10:59 PM

Thanks for sharing your story Patty. You are very strong to have kicked it to the curb. Keep on taking one day at a time!
Old 02-11-2006, 12:05 AM
Guess who's back...

Being the wife of an in-active recovering addict I personally completely blame my husband's upbringing for the bad decisions that he's made in his life.

Though he has gotten much better over the years (I've trained him pretty well ) he was "sent out into the world with an empty backpack". By the time his parents tried to step up to the plate it was a little too late.

I don't blame the dealers at all. The Philly cops are taking them off the streets left and right. There's always someone else right there to take their place though. Maybe it moved down the block or maybe it's in someone's house, store or garage but there will always be someone selling something somewhere. It takes years to clean up a neighborhood.

A dope fiend has a very close friend who dies from an overdose...after the initial shock wears off...you know what the 1st 2 questions are?...

What kind was it and where did he/she get it?

How do you blame the dealer who is supplying something that is in high demand and making mad loot to boot.

If it's not clicking in their heads that they can die it surely isn't clicking in their heads that they can end up incarcerated for dumb s*** that comes along with addiction.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:35 AM
Patiently Waiting
Donation Award 

IMHO, only the addict can be blamed for their drug addiction. While drugs plague our streets, most drug dealers are poor, barely feeding their children. TV paints a false portrayal of drug dealers. Some are ballin' with lots of ice/bling, expensive cars, etc, but A LOT are low level very poor to low income minority men who are fighting their own addictions and dealing drugs trying to stay ahead of an eviction.

Basically, I'm just saying its a cycle where no one is to blame for the other's actions.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:42 AM
Guess who's back...

You're 100% right on the money about the low level street dealers but if they paid the rent and was able to avoid eviction and fed their addiction for free they came out ahead of the game.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:26 AM
Donation Award 

I don't feel that I can blame the environment one grows up in. After all, there are people who live horrendous upbringings and come out on the top of the heap and there are those who struggle every day.

If I were to blame the drug dealers it would have to encompass much more than the street drug dealers. It would encompass the doctors who prescribe them, the insurance companies that promote the drugs, food processors like those who make Cheerios, pasta, and ketchup, the pharmaceutical companies, etc.

I had an ARNP feeding me anti-depressants for six years. I told him at every visit (as I sat there weeping in my state of depression) that I would get off the anti-depressants because I didn't like putting the chemicals in my body. Every time he would say to me, "if you had high blood pressure would you stop taking your high blood pressure medicine? You have major depression. You have to take anti-depressants for the rest of your life." After six years - and a life altering experience with refined sugar - I quit the anti-depressants cold turkey (a huge no-no in the medical world). Refined sugar does such horrible things to our bodies. The medical field knows it. The government knows it. The people who make the processed food know it. Insurance companies know it. They count on it because the sicker the country is the more money they make as they continue to raise their premiums. It's all about the all-mighty dollar - just like it is for the street drug pushers. It would devastate this country to have refined sugar removed from the market (in all forms).

I questioned my doctor about the sugar/depression issue and she told me that it was true but that she doesn't raise it with her patients because they get angry with her. I told her that I was angry because she knew and didn't share this knowledge with me. Instead she sent me to a drug pusher (the ARNP). She apologized and said that she would start treating in a way that would benefit them - talk to them about their a healthy diet to get well - not dumping chemicals (pills) into their bodies.

If someone wants to go after the drug pushers then go all the way to the top - to the government.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crone For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (12-30-2011)
Old 02-11-2006, 08:14 AM
Closed

Very interesting story and I totally agree with you. I think they should start at the top on our own soil.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:05 PM

I believe that using drugs is a bad choice and the individual is to blame, but there are also alot of ingredients or circumstances that go into forming a persons behavior that have something to do with whether or not they have the potential to become an addict. My husband had a very bad upbringing, was taught absolutely no coping skills, communication was not in the home, no discipline,and his family were addicts of one substance or another. While that is not the reason he has become an addict, it does however have much to do with it. That is just my opinion.
Joy
Old 02-28-2006, 07:13 AM

I do not blame anyone but myself for my drug addiction that I had. We all know right from wrong and it is up to us to make the decision we make/made we have to live with that decision.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:34 AM

I don't think I would personally blame the dealers. My boyfriend was the dealer and he would tell me ever so often that I should get off the stuff. But that was us. Which I finally did after he went to jail.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:21 AM
still in love..still here

Is mcDonalds responsable for overweight Americans? You have choices in life and the ones you make decide rather there will be a reward or a consequence. By the age of 12 you pretty much know right from wrong. You make the choice to try drugs, no one usually forces it on you. A drug dealer simply supplies drugs just like mcdonalds does burgers. Want to stay fit and healthy, dont eat mcdonalds. Want to stay clean dont go to the dealer. Its a supply and demand situation. So let me ask this is it the addicts fault that there are dealers. you see what I mean?
The Following User Says Thank You to dydasgirl For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (12-30-2011)
Old 04-27-2007, 06:24 AM
queendrury

naw i dont blame the drug dealers.i take full accountability for making the choice to use.my exhusband slipped the drug in my drink and i blame him for decieving me like that.but i made the final choice to feed the temptation.i forgave him for his wicked ways and i dont point the finger at noone but myself. at this point in my life i dont think drug dealers arent intentionally trying to break anyones spirit.they are mostly trying to make a living.granted it is the wrong kind of living but we all live and we all learn.your man included.you say he is an ex-dealer.take it for what it is.he llearned from it and i must say that he deserves to be loved and have a chance at happiness also.it is such a wonderful thing that one on the other side of the tracks(drug dealers,addicts etc) can experience life in all its splendor with someone who wont judge,harass or taunt them.your man is lucky to have you and i dont think you are minimizing your views of how he was (WAS BEING THE KEY WORD).i think you have come to grips that he is a changed man.thats all we can hope for cuz without hope nothing is alive.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:27 AM
queendrury

sorry i need to revise this.(i broke my glasses so its hard seeing the keyboard even this close)
i dont think drug dealers are intentionally trying to break anyone's spirits.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:38 AM

Default My 2 Cents

I'd like to add my 2 cents! Keeping in mind that I am very bitter about the hell I went through for 2 years with my ex, yes, I do blame the drug dealers somewhat, not totally. He needs to take responsibility for his own actions, of course, but there were times that he was truely trying to stay away from it, and they would call and call!! He had his phone number changed, so they would call or stop in my business (public place) until they accomplished what they were set out to do. It seemed they hunted him down like a dog, they knew how hooked he was, and after all, they made lots of money off of him! Anyway, just blowing off steam!! Thanks!
Old 04-27-2007, 12:31 PM

you know, that's a point of view I read where a judge sentenced a drug dealer for dealing poison in his community. I can't say I totally agree with that because of what I see. That is, legimate business cater to drug dealers and drug addicts. I look around and I see smoke shops who sell drug paraphanalia, an assortment of pipes, kits-square ceramic tile, with attached razor blade and metal straws, also weight scales with small, medium, and large sizes of ziploc bags. Included in the display case is a disclaimer which reads in big, bold, black letters: "DO NOT USE ILLEGAL LANGUAGE" In other words, Don't ask, Don't tell, buy discreetly.

Futhermore, one can go in any convenience store, book store, or nearby liquor store and buy HIGH TIMES magazine. Inside these pages are articles of information on how to grow your own, if you know what I mean. The deception is obvious, especially when the title reads, "How to grow indoor_____" this suggests to hide and keep away from sight. Also included are products one can buy (drug tests)designed to deceive an employer. Yet, all these things are legal, according to the first amendement of the constitution. (Freedom of Speech) According to the DEA, these businesses have an annual profit of 1/4 of a billion dollars.

Good question, I need clarity, in a consise, and clear manner. I do not see it where the US is concerned. Money can be the root of all evil, it can be a blessing and a curse. As a former drug addict and small time dealer, I remember this when I look at my dollar bill. I reflect on where I was, how long I have come since then and where I am headed to in the future.

Last edited by guvokikam; 04-27-2007 at 12:55 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to guvokikam For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (12-30-2011)
Old 04-28-2007, 07:23 AM
Account Closed

Thanked 3,404 Times in 1,209 Posts

I think each person--addict and dealer--has to take responsibility for their own actions. As someone who has had the unfortunate experience of living around crack dealers in my life (and I know all types of dealers aren't the same) I have seen with my own eyes the violence and bad things that happen in the neighborhood because of it. It's not a 'pretty' profession and crack dealers do make their money off the misery of others. It's not something I condone or at all respect--but I have seen that they are not all horrible people and I hope that those who go to prison for it change their lives around afterward.

I have also seen how addicts affect their families, and that is not 'pretty' either. Someone I am very close to is going through this with a family member and she has to worry if he will end up dead or in jail. There is no excuse for what the addict puts his/her loved ones through.

It does seem to me that some dealers say 'it's not my fault people want to buy it' and alot of addicts try to 'blame the dealers.' I think both need to get real--both are wrong. Everyone makes their own choices. It's a mutally dependent enterprise--if there were no addicts, the dealers would have no one to sell to. If there were no dealers, the addicts would have no one to buy from. But really, I think who cares? If you have a drug problem, it's your responsibility to get help for it, and if you are a dealer, you made that choice to break the law also. Just because people want to buy it, is hardly a good reason to sell it or be a part of it.

Last edited by june5; 04-28-2007 at 07:25 AM..
Old 04-28-2007, 02:01 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

If there was no demand, no market, there would be no drug dealers. Any market, legal or not, is ultimately consumer-driven. Hence the virtual disappearance of village blacksmiths, makers of buggy whips and whalebone corsets, and barbers who also pull teeth and perform bloodletting.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveMoff For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (12-30-2011)
Old 07-18-2007, 06:55 PM

as long as there is a demand there will be a supply. im not trying to justify selling dope, but as long as there is money out there for it there will be a market. i personally think the war on drugs is nothing but a money making business. it provides jobs for agencies, such as the mississippi beauro of narcotics, as well as police officers. it also creates a demand for correctional officers in the prison systems by keeping the number of convicts up. i dont know what the solution for it would be, but it seems like it would be so easier to legalize and tax drugs. it would cut down on crime, violence, and murder as well. its just my opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wgcf_sucks For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (04-17-2012), Prochef (01-02-2012)
Old 09-01-2007, 08:44 PM
HIS;[inspiration]&[heart]

I dont think its anyone fault to blame but the person that is usinq the druqs..its their choice & everyone has their own mind to do so..just cuz druq dealers make it easy access for addicts to find these druqs dont mean they are the blame..they are simply tryinq to make a livinq! truthfully..half of the druq dealers I know parents are hiqhly addicted to the products they sell..I dont believe for one second they would wanna see their loved ones out there .but its true the addiction is a disease.
& as far as anyones fault ..ITS THEIR OWN

Our Kinq ; Our World
Old 09-05-2007, 10:16 AM

i dont feel you can blame the drug dealers completely, but yet the ones who give it to kids to get them hooked for future clientel ...yes i do blame, however drug dealers will give out freebies once in awhile to keep them coming back, if thier customer is trying to quit...i think they prey on the sick and vunerable because they are not in thier right mind while they are using..to me its no different than if people take advantage of senoir citizens and stealing all thier money, they know what they are doing and they know they are destroying lives for a profit, they cant take all the blame for the addicts, but they do contribute to all the crime,deaths..etc... they affect our future children....
Old 09-05-2007, 02:06 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

One can blame drug dealers for drug use in the same way one can blame liquor stores for alcoholism. No one is forced to patronize the seller or use the product.

No distillery is responsible for the fact that I am an alcoholic. My friends and I are responsible for the fact that I no longer drink. And I'm much happier for it.

Perhaps things have changed since my day, but when I was a kid I was constantly being warned by parents and public service announcements that drug users would try to get me hooked, offer me drugs for free, pass them off as candy, or what have you. I found that quite the opposite was true. The drug users in school didn't want to share substances they had paid good money for, and they invariably kept to themselves. If you weren't part of that crowd, they wanted nothing to do with you.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveMoff For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (12-30-2011)
Old 09-05-2007, 03:33 PM

you see here i am back and forth, my fiance is sitting in jail a changed man, now but before when he was on the streets, he was a dealer. Ran game in somewhat of a 9 county area. and i think the saying is right "don't hate the player hate the game" in this case it is anyways. i am totally against drugs, but there is a reason they are here and certain people get on them, if it wern't then i wouldn't have met the man God put on earth for me, i believe every evil has a counter good. but then again if it wern't for that one dealer who pushed coke in my best friends face and said hey try this. then id still have him and it was easy to hate that guy for it. but i know that every person has a time anyways. So what im saying is if the person wants to get high they will, dealer or no dealer so hate the drug game not the pitcher!