Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Education Inside
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Education Inside Dedicated to all issues related to prisoner education.

Old 05-28-2006, 09:45 PM

Default Financial Aid for drug conviction

I am so confused by the FAFSA! My loved one is still in Federal Prison for a drug conviction. He wants to attend college when he is released in 2009. What are the guidelines? I have heard that the person must complete a drug program, but I have also heard that if they go to college within a year after being released they are eligible. Are drug convicted persons eligible for student loans? It is all so confusing and the financial aid office where I go to school will not answer questions regarding my own financial aid, so I have not even attempted to bother them with questions for someone else.

Please let me know if you or anyone you know have been eligible for financial aid after a drug conviciton and how you accomplished this.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2006, 08:58 AM

Have you called or emailed the fafsa office itself (available on their website)? I had some questions and they were very helpful. There is a way to become "rehabilitated" because i have a relative who had a drug charge and had to do something to qualify for financial aid (to go to law school)!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 10:08 PM

Thank you for the information. I found out today that it only applies to possession and selling of drugs. He was charged with conspiracy (no drugs were found) so this does not apply to him. Maybe the rules will stay the same until he is home and can begin classes. Finally some good news!
Old 06-01-2006, 02:02 PM

I think it will just stay direct drug offenses. The FAFSA rule has been around forever, regarding drug posession. I only thing I see is possibly overturning that rule (it limits to many people). He should be fine! Make sure he gets the education, it will open so many doors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal&bo
Thank you for the information. I found out today that it only applies to possession and selling of drugs. He was charged with conspiracy (no drugs were found) so this does not apply to him. Maybe the rules will stay the same until he is home and can begin classes. Finally some good news!
Old 07-06-2006, 12:58 AM

anyone know if there is a website