Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MASSACHUSETTS > Massachusetts Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Massachusetts Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Massachusetts.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:53 AM

Unhappy Can anyone help me with info - Middleton Massachusetts Jail?

This is my first time posting and I'm going to apologize ahead of time If I seem stupid. I don't know anything at all about the prison system except for what I've seen on television.

My brother is currently in Middleton Jail In Massachusetts & has been for 12 days. I'm finding it very hard to get information. I called today to get an address and spoke with an officer who simply gave me the address of the jail itself. No PO BOX number, Or cell unit number. I wrote a letter to that address in hopes that he'll get my mail.

I also asked if I could send money, he said just send a money order with his name on it and the officers will take it and apply it to his canteen. I want to make sure my brother has what he needs but I'm not very comfortable just mailing money orders since I don't trust the officers. I think they might just take it, cash it or throw it out. Does anyone know if he will actually get my money order?

I'm also wondering how I can talk to my brother. People have told me that he cannot call collect. I have to do something with my phone provider. Apply money to my phone?? I've looked endlessly online and haven't been able to find any information out. Is there anyone who can help me out and point me in the right direction?

He's currently in jail awaiting trial.. How long does it usually take for the trial and sentencing? Any and all information would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Donation Award 

Garnet,
I am not at all familiar with Mass. jails. But, on here at the bottom, where it says: forum jump, open that up and scroll to Massachusett's, and open up that forum. Take a look around there, and maybe you can find what you're looking for there. Also, you can make a post there and people will be more likely to know the answers for you. But, for sending in money orders, there is a section there at the bottom of them where you write in what it is for. On that line I list my brother's name. My brother is in prison, not jail, so I must also include his sid #. That is a safe way of sending Him money. They have to account for it, it goes on His books. They can not take off with it. And, you will keep a record of it by keeping the receipt, or by making a copy of it before you send it. Hope this helps some. I am not an expert though.
The Following User Says Thank You to grannyG For This Useful Post:
Garnet124 (04-29-2008)
Old 04-29-2008, 02:19 PM

So you're dealing with the Essex County Middleton Jail in Middleton, MA, right? Here's a link to the sheriff's web site that gives info on inmate visiting, phone, mail, etc.
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=sessexho...ome&sid=Sessex

It says he can make collect calls, but that you have to be set up with Correctional Billing Service https://www.correctionalbillingservi...m/default.aspx . If you look in PTO's phone forum, you'll see posts about that service. Or people in your state forum have probably talked about it, too.

Though the sherrif's web site says you're supposed to have the inmate number/housing unit to write, I wouldn't worry about your first letter arriving if the staff just gave you the jail's address over the phone. In my experience, staff will often deliver the first letters even if they aren't addressed just exactly right with an inmate number. The county jail I dealt with didn't even require inmate numbers on mail. And the day the inmate was being processed at our state intake prison and his number wasn't available yet, a state CO assured me to go ahead and write without the number since the mailroom only relied on it when two inmates had the same name.

Don't be paranoid about sending the money order. It will get there and be added to his account; staff are professionals, afterall. The inmate will probably get some sort of a printout every so often saying what his balance is. But whenever you send money, I would make it a point to mention it to the inmate in a letter. That way he can double check and make sure it arrived and posted to his account properly.

How long it takes to come to trial depends a lot on the charges and the court flow in your area. If he's facing state-level charges, you might check the state web to see if they have a flow-chart or timeline of the crmininal justice process. The important thing to remember while he's awaiting trial is not to discuss his case with him in any way. Let his lawyers handle all of that in their confidential communication. Your communication with your brother is NOT confidential. Everything he writes or says in phone calls while awaiting trial will be recorded and looked over by the prosecution.

MA Law related to Crimes, Punishments, and the Criminal Process
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/gl-pt4-toc.htm

MA Court System http://www.mass.gov/courts/

MA Public Counsel Office http://www.publiccounsel.net/

Last edited by pockets; 04-29-2008 at 02:35 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to pockets For This Useful Post:
Garnet124 (04-29-2008)
Old 04-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Donation Award 

Garnet- Don't apologize- a lot of us have been in your place so we know how you're feeling. I am moving your post to the Mass. Forum as members there hopefully will also be able to help.(Thanks everyone for already offering lots of info)
Come back to the Siblings Forum when you get a chance.
The Following User Says Thank You to DLM For This Useful Post:
Garnet124 (04-29-2008)
Old 04-29-2008, 06:41 PM

Garnet welcome to the mass forum, i have sent you a pm (private message) i am hoping someone here , who has visited middleton can help you out w/ a bit more info.
the money orders will get to your brother . can you visit?
seeing him, and asking questions face / face may elivate some anxietys'

you have found the best site for support .. you have allready received lots of good info

welcome again

The Following User Says Thank You to shiva65 For This Useful Post:
Garnet124 (04-29-2008)
Old 04-29-2008, 08:36 PM

Wow, I just want to say thank you so much for responding. I didn't think I'd get any response. I've never been on a site like this before. Lynnsy thank you so much for all the information. As soon as I log off here I will go on those sites and look for some information.

I will be careful not do discuss anything with him about his case.. after all I don't know anything at this point really since I haven't heard from him and I won't ask because the last thing I want to do is hurt his case in any way. I just wish I had the money for bail so he could get out for a little while at least. It's 10 grand. I heard he's in the suicide section and it broke my heart. I wish it was me in there and not him.

THanks again for all the responses I appreciate it so very much!!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:49 PM
joeycee

Default Middleton

In response to your experience with visiting, you should get a list when your brother can receive his visits. get there an hour before or you will have to wiat until second call. You will understand what I mean after you do it once. Don't bring anything into the jail accept your keys. make sure your car is legal. You should keep the mail to a coded minimum if talking about his case/ leave that to his lawyer...you know how to talk to him ! The jail takes the firts twenty or thirty bucks now like fall river so don't be shocked....
sign the visiting list the minute you walk through the door so thst you can be called first...it gets reallt ugly in there.
Nothing to be afraid, of you just need to mark your territory....
Your phone account has to be paid in advance with the phone company or the phone will just shut off, my advice write alot. The price gauging the charge is ridiculous and your brother could use the money for his attorney or canteen.
Good luck and keep on his lawyer for the court dates so you can go and see him there too.
Always call in advance to make sure he hasn't been moved or there isin't a lock down.
This is just realistic advice from someone who knows all too well how the system works,
Don' worry
take care
J. C.
in solidarity
Old 08-26-2008, 09:20 AM

inmate name msa #00000
po box 807
middleton, ma, 01949

Old 08-04-2009, 07:06 PM

my son was just in cambridge. If u you send in a money order in his name he will get it in his canteen, To get your phone service set up call your reg proviuder an ak then for help it is expesive tho
Old 08-10-2009, 01:41 PM

Hi everyone. I am very new to this site. My name is Shelley and I live in Pa. My Fiance is or well has been in the Ma DOC for several years. He has recently been sent to Connecticut DOC thru what I think was a Interstate transfer. I am going nuts because i have not been able to find him in almost two weeks. When I search the Ct website for inmate search he doesnt show in there system any longer. He was at McDaugal Walker and then Cheshire. When I called Cheshire all they will say is he is no longer there. I have checked vinelink and he shows still in custody under Ma DOC but facility states "County Federal Interstate".. I am sooooo lost. I dont know what to do. I just received a letter from him today w/ the return address of the Ct Cheshire address, however the letter itself was dated July 29, and the other was July 30th. Can anyone explain to me what the County federal interstate means.. Also if anyone has any suggestions on where I can contact to possibly find him. I have read alot of topics in this forum and eveyone hear seems to be great with alot of Knowledge of the was they do things in MA. The Ma DOC are not always helpful when I try to get info. Thank u....
Old 02-08-2013, 09:58 PM

I have a loved one in essex county in middleton. They have been in lockdown all week . Does anybody else have someone there??? Does anybody know if they get their mail on lockdown. This is my friends first lockdown. Do they stay in their cells 24 hrs a day? They never go outside... Only to walk to chow hall. Just wondering what's going on.... Feeling helpless hopeless
Old 02-11-2013, 09:41 PM

Lockdown is over today
The Following User Says Thank You to ladyneedsinfo For This Useful Post:
GingerM (02-18-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 PM

If you pm me or click my user name, I just posted a link on visiting this specific jail in question. Also, I'll be doing another guide on letter sending today or tomorrow.