Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:07 PM

Default Problem with money order, his name is too long

I live in canada and don't have a western union anywhere near me so the only option that I have to send money is to get a money order at the post office and mail it. I do this about once a month for my boyfriend.
But I was wanting to send my cousin some money and have run into a problem. The money order only has a certain about of space to write out the inmates full committed name and their ID number. But my cousins name is so long that it will just barley fit on the line and I can't fit the ID number afterwards. I was at the post office earlier today to by one and the woman there said that there was no way to change the size of the type that they use. So I didn't bother as it is huge wast of money to buy one and do the currency conversion it they won't except it. Has anyone ever had this problem before? I'm not sure if I can just write the number in like underneath or something?
Or does an one know of a different way to send money from outside of the us that I am unaware of?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2012, 02:11 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,482 Times in 16,820 Posts

I've moved your thread to the GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions forum

On our (U.S.) postal money orders, there is a "memo" line on the bottom left, that's where I put his DOC #.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 10-30-2012, 02:32 PM

I'm sure it would be ok if you put his number underneath somewhere. Just start it with # and the people in accounting will know. And if it makes you feel better enclose a piece of paper stating you want this money order to go on this persons account and put his name again and his number.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:34 PM

I cant remeber if there is a memo line on ours but that is very helpfull, I think I will head back over to the post office after work and see if there is or not. Crossing my fingers there is.
The Following User Says Thank You to hmbgirl1 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 03:04 PM

Is there anyway you can send it electronically? I send money via JPay. I don't know if you have that option.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:32 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmbgirl1 View Post
I live in canada and don't have a western union anywhere near me so the only option that I have to send money is to get a money order at the post office and mail it. I do this about once a month for my boyfriend.
But I was wanting to send my cousin some money and have run into a problem. The money order only has a certain about of space to write out the inmates full committed name and their ID number. But my cousins name is so long that it will just barley fit on the line and I can't fit the ID number afterwards. I was at the post office earlier today to by one and the woman there said that there was no way to change the size of the type that they use. So I didn't bother as it is huge wast of money to buy one and do the currency conversion it they won't except it. Has anyone ever had this problem before? I'm not sure if I can just write the number in like underneath or something?
Or does an one know of a different way to send money from outside of the us that I am unaware of?
I live in the UK and carry out my Western Union money transfers over the phone; maybe you could try that? My bf's in Fed and it gets to him just fine.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:57 PM

I ended up writing his number in under his name. We dont have a memo section or anywhere else to write it and I also sent in a note so hopefully it will work
Old 10-30-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae87 View Post
I live in the UK and carry out my Western Union money transfers over the phone; maybe you could try that? My bf's in Fed and it gets to him just fine.
I tried using western unions phone system but the agent I talked to told me I could not use and Canadian credit card to send money to someone in the fed. I send my boyfriend money once a month so it sure as heck would be easier to use the phone. how long have you been able to do that for? It makes no sense that you could do it in the UK and I cant from canada. Was there anything else that you had to do to set it up?
Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmbgirl1 View Post
I tried using western unions phone system but the agent I talked to told me I could not use and Canadian credit card to send money to someone in the fed. I send my boyfriend money once a month so it sure as heck would be easier to use the phone. how long have you been able to do that for? It makes no sense that you could do it in the UK and I cant from canada. Was there anything else that you had to do to set it up?
That's very strange. I was able to send J money from day 1 via Western Union over the phone. I dial the UK number and explain, they're used to it. FBOP DC is the destination 'city', they asked for nothing but his name and inmate number (sometimes referred to as account number) and my deets. No set-up required.

I just went on Western Union's Canadian website and had a look; it looks just like the UK one, same services and although they make no mention online of being able to send money to Feds when you call Canadian Customer Services they should be able to do it. I think you may have spoken to an agent who didn't actually know the procedure. Try again hun

Last edited by Rae87; 10-31-2012 at 12:31 AM..