Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status All discussions relating to specific Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison units, Texas State Jails & Private prisons, and County Jails.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:31 PM

Default Looking for information about Beto Unit TX

My man arrived at Beto couple months ago. I'm wondering if anyone knows what it's like there. He is G2 as are most in his wing. I try not to worry but there are always rumors one hears about things. He isn't a very aggressive person. I worry, just wonder if anyone has info on that unit.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2019, 09:45 PM
BLEEDING THE BLOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makowa View Post
My man arrived at Beto couple months ago. I'm wondering if anyone knows what it's like there. He is G2 as are most in his wing. I try not to worry but there are always rumors one hears about things. He isn't a very aggressive person. I worry, just wonder if anyone has info on that unit.
Beto is a young person u it, meaning they try to prove themselves. As long as you stay away from gangs (tangos) he should be fine but if he was a gangster type in the world chances are he will fall into place among them there. Everyone reps city's and it's always a mess. He just needs to mind his own business and do his time, reading , going to school, drawing , listening to radio and avoid the smoking and drinking in there. He should be fine depending on his charges and his attitude. Hope that helps .
Old 01-27-2019, 03:17 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,146 Times in 1,827 Posts

Hey - I moved these posts & made a thread for you in the TX jail & prison specific forum; this way if someone is ever looking for info about this facility they will also find it easily here instead of this getting buried in the general "which unit is your loved one at" thread

Old 01-27-2019, 04:37 AM

Thanks. I am still trying to figure how to use the site. As for my guy at Beto, I am concerned because when he first arrived I was getting 5 to 7 calls daily. Plus his letters were always positive. After just weeks there, the calls have dwindled considerably and letters are more dark. I went to visit, we are able to have contact visits and because of the distance, 2 days of 4 hours visits. It was great, but once again upon returning home, the calls are less frequent and letters almost nonexistent. I ask if he is ok, but all I get is that its prison and things aren't like we always want. I am really worried but on my end what can I do? He isn't a gangster type, and is in his mid 30's. He is far from home. I send books and magazines to keep him occupied, I send Ecomm, and try to keep money in his books. I notice a considerable change in him from arriving. In his attitude, especialy when I ask if everything is ok. I am just worried he is not being completely honest with me as to his well being. Thanks again, I am trying to figure out how this works.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:07 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 10,298 Times in 4,289 Posts

Hi there he is probably finding it difficult to settle in and he may be depressed. Maybe the reality of the situation has hit him.However, he will settle and if he can things to occupy his time,education and programs he will find his time easier to deal with.Keep sending him letters and visit when you can.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:59 PM

Thanks for words of encouragement. Ironically we had a good 2 hour talk today (Sunday) via phone. We did address my concerns and one part of the problem is my overly worrying. I told him I'd back off and just let him do his time. He told me the wing where he is housed is not bad, and he was fortunate to have gotten a Christian cellie. I do firmly believe I overly concerned myself due to media hype etc. He is settling down. He said I should also receive several letters in mail. And yes he said they were more positive. So yea, perhaps I went a little overboard. Thanks again for helping me cope.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Makowa For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (01-28-2019), tr4pst4rs (02-19-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 12:41 PM

My LO has been there since May and he is mid-30s and this isn’t his first time in but he says this is the worst place he’s been. Every time I visit there is always a list of what has occurred in the 2 weeks since last visit. I’m not trying to make you worry again just being honest that they almost always have something going on. The media hype isn’t something to ignore because most of it does actually hold weight. This is just as tough on us on the outside but know that if you stay supportive and advocate for him when necessary you both will be ok.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lktaque For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (02-04-2019), Makowa (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 01:20 AM

Thank you for the info. I'm planning to visit this weekend. He basically says he avoids the day room in the evenings, staying in the cell. Makes his calls to me during the day. I send books, magazines, etc. He is in a bible study and tries to stay busy reading etc.
Again thanks for advice.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:47 AM

I do agree with the comment that it is tough on us on the outside. I was curious however about the statement that they almost always have something going on, I'm not sure if it's factual but maybe to reasure me he mentioned cameras in the housing area. An earlier post mentioning that he should be ok depending on his charges and attitudes was also confusing. All this is new to me, I'm sorry. But my support for him will not wane. I'm just deciding to be there for him and make sure he knows it. If he disclosed things, that's his choice, I won't keep asking. Advocating for him sounds like good advice too. Thank you all, as I said it's all new to me I guess. I was just curious about the comments.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
I do agree with the comment that it is tough on us on the outside. I was curious however about the statement that they almost always have something going on, I'm not sure if it's factual but maybe to reasure me he mentioned cameras in the housing area. An earlier post mentioning that he should be ok depending on his charges and attitudes was also confusing. All this is new to me, I'm sorry. But my support for him will not wane. I'm just deciding to be there for him and make sure he knows it. If he disclosed things, that's his choice, I won't keep asking. Advocating for him sounds like good advice too. Thank you all, as I said it's all new to me I guess. I was just curious about the comments.
I was the same way when mine arrived as this was my first time going through this. As he adjusts you will see improvement but he will be forever changed. So love him as you probably already do and rely on the one who is really in charge to help you with the rest. God had answered so many prayers and made things so much easier to handle. I will pray for you and your loved one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lktaque For This Useful Post:
Makowa (01-30-2019), tr4pst4rs (02-19-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 05:07 AM

We have been talking quite a bit on phone last few days since he got out of quarantine. I'm travelling the 6 hours to see him this weekend. We get 2 days of 4 hours, lots of snacks for sure. I am doing better dealing with this. We have discussed some issues so basically I think I've come to terms. Thanks for all of the advice, prayers, and support. It honestly helped.
The Following User Says Thank You to Makowa For This Useful Post:
tr4pst4rs (02-19-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 03:05 AM

Just returned from my visit at Beto. It was wonderful. My guy and I simply forgot everything around us. We were once again granted 2 days of 4 hour contact visit. For those who have not gone to visit at Beto, they have a greeting room where you can greet in a little more private setting. The guards this weekend were pretty lenient in the kissing time allowed. We took full advantage. It was great. Of course he munched down on every favorite snack and we just enjoyed the moment. We were able to forget any issues and just be "us". The trip was well worth it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Makowa For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (02-04-2019), lktaque (02-05-2019), Sarianna (02-04-2019), tr4pst4rs (02-19-2019), WeepingWillow (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 10:55 AM

It is a hell hole, totally run by gangs. They pretty much run everything, so it's best to stay in his cell as much as possible. Per my lo, it's the worst unit there is and he was there, and at the trusty camp, it's ok. Good luck, I'm not trying to worry you but it is best to know the truth.
The Following User Says Thank You to dtmom2013 For This Useful Post:
tr4pst4rs (02-19-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 03:59 PM

Thanks for info, Oh yea I know already, he says its worse unit around, but yea he minds his own business, stays in cell when not calling, and only calls while waiting for in and out, which still gets us plenty calls morning, noon, evening....by late after last chow he's already racked up....he's about to transfer out end of month for a program that last 4 months, then he's already approved for parole right after completion...we are praying and hoping September ..... so that's how it is....our visit helped....
dtmom2013 (02-05-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 04:22 PM
Southern Fried Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,268 Posts

Beto was hands down the worst place my husband has ever been. And he’s made his rounds all over TDC and the feds. It’s gang run, the guards and warden are corrupt, the place is infested with rats and roaches, the water in undrinkable, they rarely if ever go outside, and it’s just flat out dangerous. I’m so glad your husband is on his way out of there. When my husband got transferred for a program at the Walls, I almost cried out go relief.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:02 PM
BLEEDING THE BLOCK

Thumbs up thnx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarianna View Post
Hey - I moved these posts & made a thread for you in the TX jail & prison specific forum; this way if someone is ever looking for info about this facility they will also find it easily here instead of this getting buried in the general "which unit is your loved one at" thread
thank you
Old 02-19-2019, 11:03 PM
BLEEDING THE BLOCK

Talking good luck

Quote:
Thanks for info, Oh yea I know already, he says its worse unit around, but yea he minds his own business, stays in cell when not calling, and only calls while waiting for in and out, which still gets us plenty calls morning, noon, evening....by late after last chow he's already racked up....he's about to transfer out end of month for a program that last 4 months, then he's already approved for parole right after completion...we are praying and hoping September ..... so that's how it is....our visit helped....
good luck to both of you
Old 02-19-2019, 11:44 PM

Smile Support

Thanks for the support, and I will say that our conversations have evolved to better understanding of the situation he is in. He is fortunate in the sense that he has been able to remain neutral despite everything around him. He definetly says respect is very low. Again he avoids situations and sticks to himself occupying with books and mags I send. We talk morning, noon, and evening but by 7 he is usually in cell. I've received some very beautiful letters, even some poetry, and our contact visits have been wonderful given our time alone kissing in the greeting room. Well with a guard but they have been pretty lax allowing us to embrace and kiss TG. I'm actually impressed that we get 4 hour visits each weekend without having to ask for special visit, but the distance dictates the time. I've come to terms on several issues, so basically we are doing the time and making the best of a trying situation. He will be moving any day for a program which he will release shortly after. I cannot wait to have him home. We won't need a greeting room for kissing LOL. Thanks for words of encouragement, and good luck to all as well. Thank you all.
dtmom2013 (02-22-2019)