Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:52 AM

Default Moved to "the hole" because of crowding issues, for 23+ days

Hi everyone,
(To confirm, he did nothing wrong to get moved)

My boyfriend was placed in "the hole" JUST for temporary housing purposes, and neither his dad or I have heard from him for 23 days, since January 29, because he moved to the temporary housing on February 1.

On February 3, I had enough of the waiting and called the warden staff (not sure of the right term) three different days until someone answered. They said he was in temporary housing (which we didn't know before) and would be there for 5-8 days, so I still had until February 8 to reasonably wait.

I got a letter from him confirming this on February 16 (dated February 4). He seemed frantic and very upset that he isn't able to talk to anyone. Due to his security status, he's special-handle, so he's in a cell all by himself. The deputy he talked to said it could be 2 months before he is moved because of severe overcrowding.

This is my first time at all of this (lol), but I feel like that is an extremely long time to wait to even use the phone? He did nothing wrong; they're just using the same "hole" cells for temporary housing. I think even the guys who are in there for punishment don't have to wait that long to use the phone.

I'm not sure if anyone could really help here, because I know he's high-security and that's the excuse the staff gave me. But I also don't know if prisoners have any sort of rights I could argue with, or if I'll just look like a crazy person who's overreacting if I try to argue with the staff. I'm not sure if they're just throwing the "high-security" excuse at me to get me to shut up because I don't know any better, or if it's really that reasonable, to have waited 23 days and still have another month+ to go to even speak on the phone.

I'm not really sure if there's anything I can do, but everything I've Googled doesn't seem to apply to my situation, so I'm left with nothing. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2019, 07:16 AM
I LOVE MY MUSLIM MAN!

Hmmmm sounds odd but my husband was in the smu for 2 years because he’s was a security risk. Be patient don’t freak out stay consistent. If you can send him things to keep his mind active the seclusion takes a toll on their minds.
The Following User Says Thank You to SexyChef1 For This Useful Post:
starsinthesky (02-21-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:13 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,307 Times in 12,328 Posts

Unfortunately he will stay there until they decide to release him, no, or manufactured reasons is all either of you will receive. Being isolated in the SHU is mind-numbing, and being there "indefinitely" is much worse. From my experience with federal prisons, the more he complains, the longer he will stay there.

The prison staff has all of the power, and will employ it in any way they choose to do it.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:07 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsinthesky View Post
Hi everyone,
(To confirm, he did nothing wrong to get moved)

My boyfriend was placed in "the hole" JUST for temporary housing purposes, and neither his dad or I have heard from him for 23 days, since January 29, because he moved to the temporary housing on February 1.

On February 3, I had enough of the waiting and called the warden staff (not sure of the right term) three different days until someone answered. They said he was in temporary housing (which we didn't know before) and would be there for 5-8 days, so I still had until February 8 to reasonably wait.

I got a letter from him confirming this on February 16 (dated February 4). He seemed frantic and very upset that he isn't able to talk to anyone. Due to his security status, he's special-handle, so he's in a cell all by himself. The deputy he talked to said it could be 2 months before he is moved because of severe overcrowding.

This is my first time at all of this (lol), but I feel like that is an extremely long time to wait to even use the phone? He did nothing wrong; they're just using the same "hole" cells for temporary housing. I think even the guys who are in there for punishment don't have to wait that long to use the phone.

I'm not sure if anyone could really help here, because I know he's high-security and that's the excuse the staff gave me. But I also don't know if prisoners have any sort of rights I could argue with, or if I'll just look like a crazy person who's overreacting if I try to argue with the staff. I'm not sure if they're just throwing the "high-security" excuse at me to get me to shut up because I don't know any better, or if it's really that reasonable, to have waited 23 days and still have another month+ to go to even speak on the phone.

I'm not really sure if there's anything I can do, but everything I've Googled doesn't seem to apply to my situation, so I'm left with nothing. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

The issue with this type of matter is the prison decides what they want to due when they want to do it. Sometimes the extend your stay in the hole by just simply putting another security risk sheet in your file.
It has been a number of years since I have been in the hole. When I was their they would determine I was a security risk by some chicken crap way I would be held pending investigation. After I was investigated they would determine I need to be transferred to another institution, As soon as I arrive at the new institution I was taken from the bus to the hole, with a HPI hold (hold pending investigation) Here is some information for California, you would review the Title 15 or D.O.M (Departmental Operation Manual). This information is available at CDCR website
Title 15

DOM

Last edited by Patrickj; 02-20-2019 at 06:26 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Patrickj For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-20-2019), gvalliant (02-20-2019), starsinthesky (02-21-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 06:16 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 20,655 Times in 7,366 Posts

If I understand this correctly, it's that he needs special housing because of the risk to him and not because he is a risk to others, yes?
In that case, it isn't in anyone's interest to rush this. If he requires housing of a specific nature, it's a lot more complicated than sticking him on a yard. Things they have to consider:

-his basic security level (1-4)
-any known 'enemies' that would create conflict
-possible segregation from general pop which is getting harder to do on certain levels
-medical needs, if any
-and lastly, actual open bed space that meets all of those criteria

With almost 200k incarcerated folks, that can be a tall order. They don't just kick someone off a yard because another inmate might be better suited in his bed. If it's for his safety, he needs to be patient, however hard that may be.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-20-2019), gvalliant (02-20-2019), Ms Sunny (02-20-2019), Patrickj (02-20-2019), starsinthesky (02-21-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:13 PM

Thanked 1,396 Times in 577 Posts

There is more reason than due to overcrowding.

Title 15 Patrick suggests contains regulations on use of SHU. Security and safety reasons usually involves days not months. For example if an inmate feels threatened, alerts guards to danger from enemies, the prison would remove him from the yard, put him in SHU to keep him safe, evaluate criteria like Miamac details, find another yard and / or prison that works for him usually inside of a week.

Something about his situation is making it more complicated. However, the deputy making that statement about months, he probably doesn't have a clue. And they are not going to tell you much if anything when you call. I agree, be patient, don't rush, especially if this is related to his safety. You don't like him being there, but he is safe, he is fine.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-20-2019), miamac (02-20-2019), Patrickj (02-21-2019), starsinthesky (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 07:44 AM

Thank you for all the information! I decided not to call/fill out the complaint form after reading the responses. I guess I agree, they do hold all the power, so it's no use complaining.

Also, I guess I could have been more clear. He has been categorized as PC the whole time, but they just randomly took him out of his PC cell and moved him into this temporary housing situation even though he already had a PC cell. So now I'm assuming he's waiting for another PC cell, but I don't know why he has to wait so long in the temporary housing.

Nobody is telling me any reasons, including him, but what Miamac said would make sense, that he has to wait now because there are no cells that would work based on his identity. I'm pretty sure he would have told me if there was a problem with another inmate that occurred, so I'm guessing that the staff was anticipating some sort of problem in the available cells at his new floor location that he's not getting moved into. I believe he was saying other PC's in the temporary housing were getting moved before him, so he was upset and felt it was unfair, hence him begging me to call the warden in his letter.

All these 2-ish years he's been PC but has had access to a phone and allowed visits. So this temporary housing is kind of a shocker. When he was originally booked in county jail, his dad and I didn't hear from him for 6 days because he was in PC temp housing, so this is way longer than that.

I would have thought it was impossible for them to treat anyone like this, but I guess not. I'll chill out and hang in there. Thank you all very much for all the input, it's greatly appreciated!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to starsinthesky For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-21-2019), miamac (02-21-2019), Patrickj (02-21-2019), sidewalker (02-26-2019)