Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California Topics, Discussions & Information relating to the Kern Valley State Prison located in Delano, California.

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 04:15 PM

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default 2012 KVSP Mail Question & Concerns

Here is a place for your questions and answers for mail at KVSP,.

This is what is and isn't allowed at KVSP:
Kern Valley State Prison
Mailroom List of Unauthorized Items
and limits to various allowable items.

1. Cash money, coins, or foreign currency
2. Padded, bubbled, or cardboard envelopes
3. Hard cover books
4. All books, magazines & newspaper must come from a Publisher/Vendor (Per Title 15 Section 3138 (f)(1) (no directory phone books)
5. No more than 40 stamps
6. Nor more than 40 blank or embossed envelopes per envelope
7. No more than 10 greeting cards (ASU only 5) per envelope
8. Metered or hand stamped envelopes
9. No more than 300 sheets of lined or blank paper per envelope (no blank colored paper/envelopes of any kind)
10. No more than 300 sheets of white or yellow lined writing tablets (without cardboard back, tape, plastic, metal, and staples) per envelope
11. Nor more than 15 photos (ASU only 5) per envelope
12. Nor more than 25 Internet pages per envelope
13. Framed photographs, Polaroid’s, negatives, slides or photo albums (albums can be purchased through canteen) per OP #300
14. No more than 10 Manila envelopes (must not have metal clasp) per envelope
15. Compacts discs or DVDs containing computer data (pre-recorded audio CDs may be obtained within approved methods or limitations)
16. Trading or playing cards (sport, etc.), collective items (stamps, cards, etc.) and autographed items
17. Identification cards, phone cards, business cards, or credit cards
18. Hard plastic, metal glass, laminated items or needles of any kind
19. Metal spring binding commonly used on calendars and note books
20. Homemade greeting cards (incoming or outgoing)
21. Pens, pencils, markers, writing/drawing instruments, cardboard or card stock paper, transparent or tracing paper
22. Clothing material (lace, felt, hankies, strings, ribbons, hats, caps, beanies and/or similar items)
23. Factory or handmade jewelry
24. No cosmetics
25. Photo copies should not exceed more than 2 lbs. per envelope
26. Food of any kind (candy, etc.)
27. Letters with perfume, powder, lipstick or oil stains on envelope or its contents (no leaves or flower petals)
28. Bodily fluids, excretory functions or hair of any kind
29. Address books or date book and maps (per Title 15 Section 3006 (12) (maps no larger than 12x12)
30. Address labels (sticker or adhesive) are not allowed
31. Letters with stickers, glitter or correction fluid on envelope or its contents (no confetti, labels or sticker sheets)
32. No items larger than 8.5x11 (photos, greeting cards, etc.)
33. Calendars when unopened cannot exceed 12x12
34. Checks or money orders enclosed in the same envelope that are payable to other inmates
35. Checks or money orders payable to other agencies or parties
36. Copies of checks or money orders and cancelled checks (no receipts of any kind)
37. Blank negotiable items (checks, deposit slips or form a signature to open or transfer funds)
38. Any catalogs, advertisements or brochures whose sole purpose are to sell a product or solicit response from an inmate (order forms, etc.) (per Title 15 Section 306 (11)
39. Cut out, clippings or ripped pages from magazines, books or newspapers
40. Birth certificates, marriage licenses, escrow papers, deeds, life insurance papers, etc. (no originals or copies)
41. Tattoo patterns, Gang signs or photos that promote or identify gang membership and/or association
42. Photos/Articles/Drawings depicting explicit sexual activity, frontal nudity (exposed females breasts/nipples or genitals or either gender) (per Title 15 Section 3006 (15)(A-C)(1-2)(17)(A))
43. Photos/Articles/Drawings depicting fighting techniques, weapons, gangs, drugs and unlawful activities
44. No binder clips of any size
45. Inmates not allowed to send/mail out stamps or embossed envelopes
46. Mail without complete name and return address on envelope (I/M must have name, CDC#, yard & housing #) per Title 15 Section 3147 (a)(2-3)
47. No inmate to inmate correspondence (need CDC 1074) with prior approval (no third party mail allowed)
48. All other items, which are unable to be searched without destroying the contents
49. Musical or voice activated (cards, etc.)

This link will take you to the 2011 thread Here

Last edited by traviesita; 01-06-2012 at 04:16 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Account Closed

My Sunshine's last two letters were a bit strange... Above my address, there was the usual printed stamp of 0,49 cent but, on the front, there was an other printed stamp of 0,00 cent and one was dated September, the other November(but I'm sure he posted the letters in December because he wrote me personal things happened recently). Does anyone know why?
Old 01-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Donation Award 

I got a letter tuesday....one side posted January 3rd for the 44¢ and the other side said November 23rd but zero for the postage. I know he just wrote it also because we weren't even writing in November and as you mentioned too sunshinesweety...he wrote about recent things we talked about on the phone. I was tripping out too when I got the letter. Its good to know im not the only one. He called three times last night and said I should be getting mail today so I will let you know if its the sane way and I can ado him when he calls tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSweetie View Post
My Sunshine's last two letters were a bit strange... Above my address, there was the usual printed stamp of 0,49 cent but, on the front, there was an other printed stamp of 0,00 cent and one was dated September, the other November(but I'm sure he posted the letters in December because he wrote me personal things happened recently). Does anyone know why?
That will happen a lot with envelopes they get in there. A lot of times they get envelopes that have already been post marked in there. Hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Lonesome For This Useful Post:
traviesita (01-10-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Account Closed

Thank you! I was just wondering... I thought it could be a sign the letter was ok for the mail room (but I guess it's the stamp "Kern Valley etc. etc." that means the letter is ok).
Old 01-07-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Thank you! I was just wondering... I thought it could be a sign the letter was ok for the mail room (but I guess it's the stamp "Kern Valley etc. etc." that means the letter is ok).
Yup they stamp it after they read it! If they read it.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lonesome View Post
Yup they stamp it after they read it! If they read it.
Once my man wrote me about some private thing that made me seriously doubt they check letters before letting them out...
Old 01-09-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Once my man wrote me about some private thing that made me seriously doubt they check letters before letting them out...
Yeah i think it all depends on who's working in the building and letting mail out. I think there are some that don't care and don't read the mail at all, then there's those who read every single letter... It changes all the time...
Old 01-09-2012, 03:25 AM
Donation Award 

I see that in the thread about mail and whats not allowed...it says no address labels but I used a label on the letter I sent to my friend and he got it. So am I misunderstanding? Cause I just ordered a bunch of address labels to put on the letters cause I write so much its just easier to stick the labels on and send it out. I ordered two sets...one with his info and address and one with my return address. Any info is appreciated! Oh..and before I forget...he wrote me and asked me to send him a burned CD with songs on it...can I do that? Is that allowed? And if so, what are the rules and regulations for that?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lonesome

Yeah i think it all depends on who's working in the building and letting mail out. I think there are some that don't care and don't read the mail at all, then there's those who read every single letter... It changes all the time...
Yeah! Sometimes every page is stamped, other times none are.....
Old 01-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Still loving my hubby...

Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmackAmanda View Post
I see that in the thread about mail and whats not allowed...it says no address labels but I used a label on the letter I sent to my friend and he got it. So am I misunderstanding? Cause I just ordered a bunch of address labels to put on the letters cause I write so much its just easier to stick the labels on and send it out. I ordered two sets...one with his info and address and one with my return address. Any info is appreciated! Oh..and before I forget...he wrote me and asked me to send him a burned CD with songs on it...can I do that? Is that allowed? And if so, what are the rules and regulations for that?
No you cant send any cds from from home. Access has a service where you chose the songs and they will make it and send it out. Its a little more expensive but its worth it. Hope this helps.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALWAYS HERE 4 M View Post
No you cant send any cds from from home. Access has a service where you chose the songs and they will make it and send it out. Its a little more expensive but its worth it. Hope this helps.
Can you please give me some more info about this? I'd love to send a cd to my Sunshine since we have different taste about music and he doesn't know the artists I listen to... Thank you!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Still loving my hubby...

Quote:
Can you please give me some more info about this? I'd love to send a cd to my Sunshine since we have different taste about music and he doesn't know the artists I listen to... Thank you!

https://www.accesscatalog.com/shop/i...ml?ProgramID=3

Here is the link, just click on customize cd and it should give you the information you need.

The Following User Says Thank You to ALWAYS HERE 4 M For This Useful Post:
traviesita (01-10-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 12:43 PM

Does anyone know what address they ship quarterly packages to? M was saying that a few guys in his area have had issues with their packages being late because they end up being shipped to North Kern (right across the street). He thought I should give them the PO Box (which I know is not right) and when I called Union to ask them what address they had on file they gave me 6000 W. Cecil (which is correct). I got the tracking notice today and it says 3000 W. Cecil!

I tried calling R&R and the mailroom, but you know how that goes- everyone is out for the day. I'm definitely going to try later, but I had hoped you wonderful people might have some information for me!

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Still loving my hubby...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisSugarPie View Post
Does anyone know what address they ship quarterly packages to? M was saying that a few guys in his area have had issues with their packages being late because they end up being shipped to North Kern (right across the street). He thought I should give them the PO Box (which I know is not right) and when I called Union to ask them what address they had on file they gave me 6000 W. Cecil (which is correct). I got the tracking notice today and it says 3000 W. Cecil!

I tried calling R&R and the mailroom, but you know how that goes- everyone is out for the day. I'm definitely going to try later, but I had hoped you wonderful people might have some information for me!

Thanks!
3000 Cecil is the address to KVSP. It should be fine

The Following User Says Thank You to ALWAYS HERE 4 M For This Useful Post:
HisSugarPie (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALWAYS HERE 4 M View Post
3000 Cecil is the address to KVSP. It should be fine
Thanks for the info! I got a call back from the mailroom right after I wrote that message and that is what they told me as well. I also found out that the PO Boxes for KVSP and NKSP are only one digit off. For instance, KVSP has PO Boxes like 5104 while NKSP's are 5004. She told me that mail gets switched up between the two prisons ALL the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to HisSugarPie For This Useful Post:
ALWAYS HERE 4 M (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Account Closed

My Sunshine is an artist and last time we talk he said is art sucks (which is a lie) so I doubt he is a bit sad at the moment. Since I know a lot about art (I'm not an artist myself, I'm just a lover), I have plenty of books about art. I thought I can make coloured copies of my favourite works... Are coloured copies allowed?
Old 01-12-2012, 02:44 PM
~My Penguin*His Coqui~

Thanked 1,074 Times in 372 Posts

Hi my man just got tranfered there yesterday and hes in D-8 does anyone know where that is, i know hes suppose to go to THU, so im womdering if the mail restrictions still apply there, as in for stamps and envelopes and papaer.

Did you know that when a penguin finds its mate they stay together for the rest of their lives? I found my Penguin

Old 01-12-2012, 09:10 PM
~Imperfection Is Beauty~

Quick ? Regarding asu 2 n mail. Does it normally take more then 1wk for them to recieve mail for ive wrote 3 n he still hasnt recieved them yet ive recieved 3 from him and 2 days after he wrote them.. My guy is trippen so basically is there n way i can reach him a lil faster like a post card or would it not make a difference.. Thank u for ur help <3
Old 01-12-2012, 09:33 PM

Postcards are usually quicker
The Following User Says Thank You to 1Ofakind!! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiscoqui View Post
Hi my man just got tranfered there yesterday and hes in D-8 does anyone know where that is, i know hes suppose to go to THU, so im womdering if the mail restrictions still apply there, as in for stamps and envelopes and papaer.
Hi. D-8 is THU. I don't know if there are any restrictions on mail packets but I'm pretty sure they can get atleast one tablet or notebook of paper 20 envelopes and a book of stamps. If u want to send more just call the mailroom and they can tell you what is allowed.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:45 AM

The mail list is at the beginning of this thread, THU can get what is on the allowed mail list
Old 01-13-2012, 02:28 PM
~My Penguin*His Coqui~

20 envelopes?? I sent 40 according to the top of this thread says no more than 40 right??

Did you know that when a penguin finds its mate they stay together for the rest of their lives? I found my Penguin

Old 01-13-2012, 02:36 PM

I send 40 all the time and never had a problem
Old 01-13-2012, 02:50 PM
~My Penguin*His Coqui~

Oh good thanks!!! i would have hated to have it sent back, i hate starting over, but this is a good starting over

Last edited by hiscoqui; 01-13-2012 at 02:52 PM..
Closed Thread