Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region 3 Facilities
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida - Region 3 Facilities Information and Discussion about the following facilities: Avon Park CI, CFRC-E, CFRC-Main, CFRC-S, Desoto Annex, Florida Women's Reception Center, Hardee CI, Hernando CI, Lake CI, Lowell CI, Lowell Annex, Marion CI, Polk CI, Sumter CI, Zephyrhills CI

Old 06-08-2018, 12:19 PM
He ain't heavy...

Default Brother sent to CFRC- where do I start?

Hello everyone. I realize this may have been asked multiple times, but I want to be sure to get as much up to date info as I can.

My brother was sentenced to 18 years in prison, and as of 6/6/2018 it appears he was 'released' and sent to CFRC. I've located their website and I've been reading up on mail regulations and so on, but really and truly I'm not sure where to begin in getting in touch with him and maintaining the support while he's there. Can someone tell me step by step what I should do to set things in motion for this?

Any help is appreciated not only for me, but for my family as well. our hearts are with him, and we're just looking to make sure he still knows that. Especially now.
Why not share?
And the load
Doesn't weigh me down at all
He ain't heavy, he's my brother
(- Bobby Scott and Bob Russell)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrebrother View Post
Hello everyone. I realize this may have been asked multiple times, but I want to be sure to get as much up to date info as I can.

My brother was sentenced to 18 years in prison, and as of 6/6/2018 it appears he was 'released' and sent to CFRC. I've located their website and I've been reading up on mail regulations and so on, but really and truly I'm not sure where to begin in getting in touch with him and maintaining the support while he's there. Can someone tell me step by step what I should do to set things in motion for this?

Any help is appreciated not only for me, but for my family as well. our hearts are with him, and we're just looking to make sure he still knows that. Especially now.
My husband was transferred to FDOC back in April of this year. I started out by setting up Jpay and Securus accounts. Then I sat down and wrote him a letter and included several sheets of paper with a stamped envelope. That way he could write me back without having to go to the canteen to buy some. My hubby was at NWFRC and they had a kiosk there in his dorm so he could email me. Even if he doesnt write to you, you (and the family) keep writting him...he will eventually answer.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnielg For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (06-11-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 03:41 PM

Im assuming he will just be at reception for a week or two until he gets sent to his permanent spot. Set up Jpay and send him an email along with some stamps so he can reply. You can also send him money through jpay. He'll need your phone bill to get it on his list of approved numbers.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:47 AM
He ain't heavy...

Will Jpay follow him if he moves from where he is at CFRC?
Why not share?
And the load
Doesn't weigh me down at all
He ain't heavy, he's my brother
(- Bobby Scott and Bob Russell)
Old 06-10-2018, 09:52 AM

Thanked 5,993 Times in 3,116 Posts

Quote:
Yes now that he is in the FDOC it will.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
My LO got moved to a private facility and they dont have Jpay there. So depending on where he gets moved. Most places do have Jpay though
Old 06-11-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:

As others have stated, that is reception. He will be processed and then moved to another prison. In Florida there are DOC prisons, called Correctional Institutions and private prisons called Correctional Facilities. For inmates, the most important things are contact with loved ones on the outside, and also if at all possible some money on their accounts. The DOC has a good info page about inmate mail, there are SO many rules and regulations. In a nutshell, he can get any amount of pages of written correspondence. After that he can get 15 pages of non correspondence. This includes photos (no larger than 8-10), printouts from the internet etc. You can also send 10 pages of blank paper (white or yellow only), 10 envelopes - these do NOT count toward the extra 15 pages. You can place a stamp on the envelope or send him stamps. You address the envelope like this:
Last Name, First Name #333333 (DOC number)
Central Florida Reception Center
Street address
City, State Zip
Make sure you put your return address. You can start sending mail right away. Be very careful to not use tape, stickers etc. Cards can be hard because of all the stuff on them these days, I love the Family Dollar or Dollar General cards, they are plain but nice.
You can send magazine subscriptions, the mail room decides what can go through. I send my guy Modern Drummer and Surfer, and those are fine. You can send books from Amazon, but they must mail from Amazon itself (or Barnes and Noble and I think there are some others).
Depending on private or DOC, will be how to send money. I think someone already said Jpay can be used for reception. Having just a small amount of money means so much, often times they eat dinner at 4:30 or so, and no food after that until breakfast. So snacks etc. help a lot. Putting money on the phone account is also important. He will need to get your phone number approved. To do this you must send a bill from your carrier with your name and address on it to him, he will take that to his Classification Officer. From what I have read prepay accounts cannot be used. I have Verizon, sent a copy of my monthly bill, and it was approved. He can have multiple numbers approved, but all numbers/bills must be submitted. Once he has that list it can only be updated every 6 months.
Those are the big things I wanted to know when I was new to this. If you have more questions, this is a great and supportive place to ask them!
Old 06-11-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Canteen accounts and phone most likely would not transfer to private facilities.