Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Raising Children with Parents in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Raising Children with Parents in Prison For the Parent left behind with children AND for the Children that have a parent inside. Discussion of unique challenges facing this group!

View Poll Results: Was ur babys daddy locked up when his baby was born?
yes 386 80.75%
no 53 11.09%
shortly after the birth 39 8.16%
Voters: 478. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Faithful & Proud Ol' Lady

Currently going on three months pregnant; he was just arrested while I was still two months. It's our first together and it devastates me he will more than likely not be able to be there for our first child's birth and a year or two. Or more. But he will see our little one in prison. I don't want him/her growing during these important years without being able to know their father and who he is.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2012, 06:34 AM
stayflynolie

In supposed to have my csection in two weeks & his next courtdate is oct 17th so looks like I will be having our daughter alone we already have 1 yr old son & he's facing 8 yrs I been so hurt lately & mean to him I guess I'm kinda angry
Old 09-21-2012, 06:52 AM
Till Death Do Us Part

Yep.. I was 7 months wen he got locked up..

Forever&always
Old 09-29-2012, 08:59 AM

I was 7 months along when my man got locked up. Leading up to his arrest he was toeing the line and i was constantly anxious waiting for the call to say he finally got done. So in a way, although the pain of separation was intense, there was no more worrying and wondering. Our little girl is 2 months old now and she is absolutely amazing. But its extremely hard as a first time mum doing everything myself and feeling lonely. daddy gets to see her and hold her every week, but lately i'm horrified to fine i am feeling a bit distant from him. Its hard to explain but at my visit today i felt like i was on another planet from him and wasn't excited to see him before it. I think maybe its because i'm on this amazing journey watching her grow and he's not on it with me ... can anyone relate?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:23 AM
Banned

my bf got locked up when our son was only 4 months old (hes going to be 1 in nov), and im due in december with our daughter and he got an 8 year sentence....

I pretty much raised my son alone, i do take him to see his dad but its not the same, there are alot of resentment i hold towards my bf because of where he is at and the situation im in. 7 months pregnant with a 10 month old! But i try to just maintain, and be strong for ALL of us.....

im just nervous about having a baby alone and raising 2 kids alone
Old 10-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Banned

My man got locked up 3 weeks after the conception date. Im 4 months now and am sad to say he will miss the birth of his 2nd but our 1st bbygirl & bby will be 4 months when he gets released. Weather its 8 months or 8 years i feel sad and i just wana tell all our mommie an mommies to be to just hang in there and keep being strong.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:53 PM

my oldest baby was 10 months old when i got pregnant with my second. we found out i was pregnant 2/15/12 and he got arrested 2/17/12. february 27 he was sentenced to 8 years. a whole pregnancy alone. and raising a toddler. it sucks

Old 11-12-2012, 01:48 PM

I am 8 mos pregnant now. My fiance was arrested in September so he will not be able to be there for the birth of our little girl. We also have a son almost one year. It is very hard to listen to him cry about missing all this stuff. My heart is breaking...
Old 11-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,890 Times in 886 Posts

I pray all you women find the strength to raise these babies alone. I know it sucks and it's not fair. I was about 2-4 months pregnant when my man was locked up. Our son is 12 now and his father is still in jail.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Better Together!

My husband and I found out we were expecting a week in a half after he went back. Our precious baby girl is now here and almost 2 months old. Luckily we have been able to go see him every weekend since she was born. He was thrilled the whole pregnacy but sad he wasnt able to be there for me throughout and the day she was born. It was hard sometimes but, all in all it happened at the time it did for a reason and I think that it has made us grow closer and stronger a couple. I have 2 other kids who he has taken on as his own and he has hated that he has had to be gone from us but we are only looking at 4 1/2 more months. One will be 5, the other 2 and the newest will only be 6 months, thankful he will be here for all their next birthdays and the very first!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:19 PM
jenjoshdaymen

he got locked up bout a month before our son was born he happened to call rite aftrer our son was born and when he heard him cry we both cryed ourself he wont be out untill our son it 14 but sees him every weekend
Old 12-09-2012, 06:15 AM
xxashxxbash

Hello I'm new to this whole thing, my boyfriend was sentenced to 2 years but will only do a year of his sentence in county . He has about 6 more months to go and our daughter will be 1 years old when he gets out. I'm nervous because I'm wondering how she will act towards him once he comes home. I take her to visit him every 2 weeks (contact visits) and I'm just wondering how long you think it will probably take her to open up to her daddy and bond with him ? Have any of you been in this situation? Any answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-12-2012, 07:34 PM

My boyfriend was arrested 11/16/12 and I found out I was pregnant 4 days after.

Its my 3rd and his 1st.

We dont discuss it much yet. I think about it all the time and it kills me that he wont be there for years for our baby. He is the kind of man that would make a great daddy.

When we talk our motto is 'it is what it is' he has to do the time & this baby is coming whether we are happy or sad. Is it going to be hard? Of course. We are handling one day at a time and doing the best we can.

His case is federal and I am just praying that he will be housed close enough for us to visit.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:40 PM
dedicated to him :-)

I gave birth to all 4 of our babies while he was in jail. He has been in and out since I was 2 months pregnant with our first child and it seems like every single time I get pregnant he goes in on a pv its extremely hard!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:56 PM

My man got locked up a month before I delivered .. he didn't find out our son was born till after a month because he was in reception so mail was slow .. he has only seen him thru pictures and heard him cry thru the phone .. I didnt get approved for visitation but my sister in law did so ima send him to meet his daddy soon . I wish I could of been there when they meet & lock eyes but that's life .. when my babe comes home the baby will only be 1 year old so he wount know wat happen . But its tough to raise a baby alone.

Last edited by JACKIE310; 01-13-2013 at 07:57 PM..
Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 PM

I was 6 months pregnant when my daughters dad went to jail. We didn't have the greatest relationship when he was out though. We weren't together then he went to jail and wanted me back like always. So I decided that would be his last chance. He ended up getting rid of his probation and served the rest of his time in prison. I was really mad at him about that one. Was not fun going down to tent city being 8 months pregnant. Any way he didn't get out till 2 weeks after she was born. The day he got out he decided to leave me of course for some other girl. Well needless to say i'm raising our daughter alone cuz when she was 2 months old he decided to do the most selfish thing to us and leave us permanantly by comminting suicide. I'm just really glad that I have a really supportive family and great friends!
Old 02-19-2013, 02:23 PM
MommyOf2

My fiance has been in jail since sept 17 2012 and our daughter was born on Jan 1 2013. He was finally able to see her last sunday as 6 weeks old. It was great to bring her to see him but also heart breaking that he had to see her thru the glass window. He is extremly hurt to not be able to hold his children. We have a 14 mos old son also and he is not able to come to visitation due to DCF. I dont kno when he will be getting out. But it's very hard. We talk on the phone and he says I dont understand wat he is going thru in there. I do understand that is sucks and its hurting him but I also get mad sometimes becuz I feel like he doesn't understand how hard it is on me to take care of these two babies on my own. It is very stressful but I kno we will make it. I just keep telling myself that this is only temporary and there IS a light at the end of the tunnel even if we can't see it yet.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:00 PM
HIS EVERYTHING
Donation Award 

Well I will be experiencing this soon. My fiancee just got arrested a week ago. I am 30wks pregnant. I cry everyday because It's so hard here without him. I miss the little family we already started to be. I can't wait until he is home so we can raise our son together. I need all the support I can get ladies.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladyknuckle$ For This Useful Post:
JCMiller (03-07-2013), nevaeh2morrow (03-04-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmitchsr View Post
Was just curious as to how many women have had to go through childbirth without their baby daddys? I did and it was scary ,lonely and very stressfull. I am sure that there are more than just me to share this expierence. What did he think or how did he feel?
My husband went to jail a week after we found out I was six weeks pregnant. And he has been there every since. Our first son is now 3 months old and he looks just like him I was just able to take him to see him for the first time two weeks ago it was a very emotional moment. And need me not to say that we are sorta like newly weds.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyknuckle$ View Post
Well I will be experiencing this soon. My fiancee just got arrested a week ago. I am 30wks pregnant. I cry everyday because It's so hard here without him. I miss the little family we already started to be. I can't wait until he is home so we can raise our son together. I need all the support I can get ladies.
All i can say it stay strong because you will need your strength during child birth Lord knows I did. At least he was there the majority of your pregnancy my husband has been gone every since I was six weeks pregnant and our son is now 3 months old and it is our first as well
Old 04-28-2013, 09:41 AM

I haven't reached that point yet.. but when the baby comes he will be away :/ I try not to think about it....

Last edited by mandarose; 04-28-2013 at 09:42 AM..
Old 05-25-2013, 08:51 PM

Default birth without fiance

I never knew there would be so many women going through the same thing as me. My fiance has been locked up for a week now, i still feel numb and in a daze at this moment. I just hit 31 weeks pregnant and now he's gone. I know we are still together will be together, pushing our wedding back and a ton of other plans we had but it hurts most not having him there to help raise our little boy. Were thinking he's looking at atleast 6 hopefully only having to do 3 but that's a long time especially when it comes to raising a baby. I will bring him to visit when he's born but it's not the same and it suck my baby has to see his dad like that. i feel like the birth will be bitter sweetill be glad to finally have my baby but i want his father there at the same moment. Just have to keep my fiance in spirits and in his life so he will always know who his father is. Long lengthy journey ahead just hope i can cope with everything sooner than later.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:01 PM

I was 3 months along when he was sentenced to 9 years. We got married the day he was sentenced. The judge sentenced him and then put on his robe and married us. He went off to county jail and I went home alone. When I gave birth, the warden let him call me and we talked that night for about 30 minutes. I had our son on a Sunday, visitation day. So I didnt even tell his mom that I was in labor because I wanted her to go see him and not come to the hospital. I called her and told her to come after the visit was over. I took our baby up to see him when he was one week old. He was incarcerated until our son was almost 3.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:28 AM

Reading all of your posts lets me know how lucky my man was. He was involved in a dui wreck when I was 5 months pregnant. If he had been ok they would have put him in jail asap, but he nearly died in the wreck and was put on house arrest. He had to have multiple surgeries and relearn to walk but he was able to obtain special permission to come to the hospital for the birth and to sign the birth certificate. I still cried at night when I was left alone in the hospital because they wouldn't allow him to stay there with me. He was able to stay with us until the trial and was sentenced when our son was 18 months old. He won't come home till our son is a preteen, because of the 85% rule applies to his offense. I had hoped he would be out before.our children were so grown. You ladies keep ur head up, because I know it is hard on you and him, but your children will have daddy home when it really counts they dont remember this time we do. I hope ur children give their dads a reason to change and stay home I know our son gave my man a desire to be a better person.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:12 PM

I was around 8 weeks when my husband went back on a pv. He's serving a year, so he will miss the birth of our twins. I am extremely angry and scared that I have to go through this alone. I'm worried I won't be able to forgive him for missing their birth (this is my first pregnancy-he has another child and was there for his birth). He's not far from where we live, but visitation with twins is going to be extremely hard. He already told me he doesn't want me bringing them there and I don't blame him (I don't really want them there). Have any of you had similar feelings or doubted your relationship because of this? Confused :/