Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CONNECTICUT > Connecticut Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Connecticut Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release and community service in Connecticut should be posted here.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:33 PM

Default Questions about Transitional Supervision in Connecticut

My boyfriend was sentenced to a 2 year mandatory minimum sentence. They just took him Monday, I'm having a really hard time. Everywhere I look it says people are eligible for TS for sentences 2 years and under, after 50% of their sentence has been completed. Does that also apply to people who have mandatory minimums? Since it's still technically imprisonment? I've read the handbook a couple times over and it doesn't say that they're not eligible. Also, is it very hard to get approved for TS and to become a sponsor?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2017, 06:09 PM

Default hello

Hello Lorp,

What was your boyfriend sentenced for? Some sentences are not eligible for TS unfortunately. My boyfriend was sentenced to 15 months with 1 year of it mandatory for DUI. He has been gone 6 1/2 months. The handbook is confusing. My boyfriend was told he has to serve that whole mandatory year. Which prison is your boyfriend in? It's hard. My boyfriend was given a paper from his counselor and it gave him a TS Eligibility date of May, but at the bottom it says not everyone qualifies even though they are eligible.

Doreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorp View Post
My boyfriend was sentenced to a 2 year mandatory minimum sentence. They just took him Monday, I'm having a really hard time. Everywhere I look it says people are eligible for TS for sentences 2 years and under, after 50% of their sentence has been completed. Does that also apply to people who have mandatory minimums? Since it's still technically imprisonment? I've read the handbook a couple times over and it doesn't say that they're not eligible. Also, is it very hard to get approved for TS and to become a sponsor?
The Following User Says Thank You to JimandDoreen For This Useful Post:
Lorp (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimandDoreen View Post
Hello Lorp,

What was your boyfriend sentenced for? Some sentences are not eligible for TS unfortunately. My boyfriend was sentenced to 15 months with 1 year of it mandatory for DUI. He has been gone 6 1/2 months. The handbook is confusing. My boyfriend was told he has to serve that whole mandatory year. Which prison is your boyfriend in? It's hard. My boyfriend was given a paper from his counselor and it gave him a TS Eligibility date of May, but at the bottom it says not everyone qualifies even though they are eligible.

Doreen
He was charged for possession of a pisto/revolver, sale of a hallucinogenic/narcotic and violation of a protective order. The narcotic thing was part of a plea deal and the protective order was way old, but having the gun was a violation of that. Right now he's in corrigan, but they're saying he's going to be transferred somewhere else next week.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:14 PM

Default hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorp View Post
He was charged for possession of a pisto/revolver, sale of a hallucinogenic/narcotic and violation of a protective order. The narcotic thing was part of a plea deal and the protective order was way old, but having the gun was a violation of that. Right now he's in corrigan, but they're saying he's going to be transferred somewhere else next week.
I would have him ask his counselor if TS is possible. Do you get to talk to your boyfriend?
Old 04-07-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimandDoreen View Post
I would have him ask his counselor if TS is possible. Do you get to talk to your boyfriend?
Yes, luckily I've been able to talk to him at least once a day since he left. I told him about TS, and he's going to talk to his counselor but he wants to wait until he's settled into the prison that he's going to be staying at before he starts asking too many questions. He seems to be adjusting well, which I'm so happy about, but it's been so hard for me to be without him. Maybe I'm just a big baby, but it just hurts so badly not having him. Thank you for your responses!
Old 04-17-2017, 07:05 AM

Hello,
I know this sucks and isnt easy for you but you have to be strong no matter how hard it is right now, pretty soon you will be able to visit him and things will be much easier from then on. I would recommend sending a visitors application once he gets transferred to a different correctional. These usually get about 1 to 2 weeks to get approved.
Typically minimum mandatory, especially for that kind of sentence, must be served before he is released for TS. My boyfriend is in for DUI and minimum sentence is 120 days and 60 days for assault so max sentence is 180 days. He received a TS approved letter with the 50% date (just like the Handbook states), but on the bottom it says that they recommend earliest release date after 120 days since this is the minimum mandatory. Not everyone gets approved TS dates.. also not everyone who got approved is released on TS so I wouldn't give ourselves too much hope. You cant pretty much get away with minimum mandatory : (