Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in New York that do not fit into any other New York sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:30 AM

Default Downstate Reception Center

Hi,

Does anybody know about this reception center?

Thanks
Michelle
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Not active-find *********
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,379 Times in 3,006 Posts
Default here is a link to Downstate info

Downstate is part of the Sullivan Hub so after you review the info in this link, open the sullivan hub there is tons of info on Downstate and reception in general-

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172419

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
Old 07-11-2006, 04:06 PM

First, I am sorry to correct you Momma Ann, Downstate is in the Greeh Haven Hub, not the Sullivan Hub.

Downstate is a reception center where new prisoners are processed, given physical and psychiatric exams. They remain here until transferred to their "permanent" facility which can take a few weeks to a few months.

They can be sent anywhere in NY State from Reception, to any facility, although many do go to Green Haven, Sing Sing, and other nearby facilities but that is no guarantee.

If this is your first time and you go to vist at Downstate you will have to complete a "First Visit" form, then you will be entered in the computer system and that will stand for all the 70 facilities in NY State, you will also complete a visit form and must do so for each visit.

There are several visiting rooms upstairs from the processing area, and you are assigned a table, prisoner must sit facing the CO desk.

There are play areas but I believe they are only for the use of Cadre's children.

You may leave packages before your visit, but are limited as to what you can leave. The best bet is to call the facility, ask what may be left for an inmate, I believe it is limited to underwear, personal care items etc. but everything must be hermetically sealed and cannot conatain alcohol, as do most deoderants.

Alwasy call the facility before visiting to see if he is still there, they move them out any time of the week, but do most transfers on Fridays and Mondays.

Again call the facility.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:01 PM
home since 8/06

The link above posted by Ann is IN THE GREENHAVEN HUB and there is TONS of information here about Downstate, anyone asking for it, really has not been looking around NY forum or reading too much.

Last edited by Manzanita; 07-11-2006 at 05:02 PM..
Old 07-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Hes back in...uGH!!!!!

hi michelle i know personally about the facility on red school house road in fishkill i have done visits there not 2 long ago if u need 2 know anything pm me or email me im at aol
Old 07-12-2006, 06:51 AM
Not active-find *********
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,379 Times in 3,006 Posts
Default the link is right

that is what you need to read

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
Old 07-14-2006, 08:32 PM
Loved Alwayz

From My Experience, All I Have To Say Is That Downstate Is Horrible. I Have Only Been There Once. They Werent Going To Let Me In Saying That My Clothing Was Too Short And It Wasnt. They Got Loud With My Bf Saying That He Wasnt Sitting Properly In There. I'm Glad I Only Went Once And Dont Have To Go Back. But Like They Said, There Is Information On Downstate If You Look It Up In The Ny Forum.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:05 AM
Hes back in...uGH!!!!!

well i did visits in downstate and it was a pretty good experiance i had no problems the cos where nice to me and the process was alright.the only thing is the vending machine are a b**** cause they steal ur dollars or wont take them at times so ur best bet is to bring a lot of quarters.